Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My first AR EVER! Work in progress...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default My first AR EVER! Work in progress...

It all started with a sketch. An idea for the rifle I wanted to build. For the most part I knew what I wanted and I knew where I was getting the parts from. It was a LONG SLOW process saving the money and ordering from different manufacturers, the wife fought me the whole way, with our first child on the way. Haha. (Attachment 1)

I built my rifle with just the basic parts and just wasn’t quite satisfied. I still had some parts on order…a few bells and whistles, but still wanted something else. I had this PT92 with FDE Hogue rubber grips, and thought, “that looks sexy!” So naturally I thought…lets do a black and tan AR!! (Attachment 2)

The next step was to remove the parts I wanted to coat. Being that I already had the MagPul AFG in FDE I chose to go with Alumahyde II for it’s close color match. I watched a few videos on prep work and coating, did a test run with some Rustoleum spray paint from the garage on a PMAG with great results. I sanded it and degreased it, sprayed it and baked to cure. Overall Id say Im pleased considering the crappy paint I used. (attachment 3)

Here are the parts I want to do in FDE with the Alumahyde II Coyote (excluding my BAD-ASS ambi-safety selector because it hasn’t arrived yet.). So as far as prep work, I sanded them with 600 grit wet-sand paper (excluding the rail), Scrubbed them with a TSP solution used for paint prep, and then scrubbed them with DAWN dish-soap and HOT water. Here they are ready to go. (Attachment 4)

Here you can see the sanding and prep work is evident. I got a nice scuff on all the parts creating enough tooth for the paint to adhere. (Attachment 5)

I will be sure to follow up with more pictures and lessons learned as I make progress on the build. Any thoughts or POV's are welcomed. My Alumahyde arrives tomorrow, so I know what Ill be doing ALL DAY!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Basically what Im working with here:

Head Down Billet Upper: NIBX (nickel boron) BCG, GI charging Handle w/ Wilson Combat Tactical Latch, 16” SOCOM profile barrel; chrome lined 1/7” RH twist,

Optic: SightMark Sure-Shot Holographic Reflex sight.

Head Down Billet Lower: BADASS Ambi-safety Selector (short+thin), Giessele 2-stage trigger, KNS anti-walk pins, flared mag-well, MagPul MOE Grip, MagPul BAD lever.

Milspec Buffer Tube, buffer and spring, HDF American Tactical Import Butt-stock with Head down butt-pad.

Troy Alpha Rail 13” Free Floating; Magpul AFG, Troy squid grips.

Tactical Link Z-360 Sling Mount GEN II, Tactical Link stealth bungee Single point sling.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Great work man! Congrates on your first build and get ready for the next one. Well... Maybe

Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, I think itll be some time before the next one. Likely to continue to play with this one. Different optics and what not for a while. Thanks for reading. Be sure to check back in. Ill post more pics as I make progress. Tomorrow is paint, bake to cure, and reassembly.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #5

I will for sure. Here's my first. Finished it a few months back, just in time!

Name:  ForumRunner_20130213_235925.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good looking rifle. 2 questions, what optic is that? And wheres the rear BUIS? Overall look like a decent build though. Bet it was fun. Im having a blast with this one right now. Im like a kid waiting for christmas for the parts to finish coming in and to get these parts painted, cured and reassembled. Too bad I cant afford to shoot the damn thing. haha. In time I suppose. Im just not one of the guys that had couple thousand rounds put away..So Im SOL right now.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #7

It's a Vortex pst 1x4 (love it). I took this pic a few minutes after mounting it in the Larue mount so I took the rear sight off to see where I wanted the scope. The rear sight is back on now. Good eye thou! And I know what you mean, I think half the fun of these builds is tracking the shipments and the excitment that the UPS truck brings.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

Ammo is another story.. I've been lucky enough to put some rounds away, but I can't bring myself to shoot em up yet. I invested in my first reloading press and all the tools needed to get started handloading, but obviously this is not the ideal time to take up that hobby. I am excited to start working up some custom loads for my rifles thou. If I could just get my hands on some primers..

Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

haha, yeah i hear ya. Reloading components are scarce right now. I too got my Lee delux turret setup in the shop. Got brass, bullets and powder...no luck on primers yet. And again, I hear ya on the ups truck coming!!! I check the mail and the doorstep about 10 times a day. haha. Nice build though bud. Looks good. I can get PMC XTAC 193 5.56 for about $13/box of 20. So for the time being, Ill suck it up and pay for some ammo to atleast get the virgin rage trip outta the way. And get a good combat zero.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rangers Lead The Way!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Heres all the parts, everything I ordered is here, now Im just gonna start coating the few parts I need to coat, bake to cure, install all my new parts and upgrades, and reassemble the rifle. Ill let it sit in the house for the next two weeks to finish curing, while in the hospital with my wife who is being induced tomorow morning. The in-laws will be here for the next week or two so I figure...let the rifle sit. Then...TO THE RANGE!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rangers Lead The Way!