My Builds
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My Builds

Hey everyone, I've been working on a few projects, a stainless 10-22, Romanian AK, an SKS, and putting the finishing touches on my new Marlin XL7 chambered in 3006. I will take a few pics and post them and share my "toys". My second radically custom SKS was featured on Leapers web site under the "SKS-OPTICS & RAILS" sections before they quit using guns to demo thier products. Get back with ya real soon with the photos.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can't wait to see 'em!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

I will try to take those photos today and get them posted. A few years ago I did gun product field testing for companies such as Brownells, Leapers, Command Arms Accessories, Lauer Custom Weaponry & his Duracoat finish, Tapco, Caldwell, Choate, ATI, Limbsaver, Beartooth Products, and many others, up to thirty companies at my high point. I would use the items, take photos, post an article on several forums and provide the company with a link to the post for them to monitor it's coverage. At one point my article/photos of a Brownells item helped sell it out per Mr. Weeks of Brownells. My days would begin checking emails and contacting companies for a couple hours, then out to the shop where I would have up to 4 custom builds going, taking photos and notes for the articles, then back to the computer around 5 or 6 to write and post. I was in the process of starting a business with Steve Lauers assistance, applying the Duracoat Firearm Finish, when my ex-wife decided she didnt like the idea of me going to Indiana to attend the factory Duracoat application course, and me being in my shop 10 to 12 hours a day "making assualt guns" and tossed me out. I was just building radically customized SKS''s, converting Mosin Nagants into sporter hunting/target rifles with new bolt handlles, adjustable triggers, synthetic stocks, scope mounts and scopes, and spraying them and my other guns with Duracoat in solid colors as well as multi-color camo patterns. I didnt know she was an anti 2nd Amendement gal that didnt know the difference between assault weapons and tactical guns. She must have missed her Constitution class in school.
I'm still modifying guns for better accuracy, appearance, and overall function (legally) but not at the rate I was back then(2006-2007). I am still getting my machines, equipment, and tools set up in my new shop, but I am disabled with a back injury, and it's taking a little longer to get things set up just right. I have a media blaster, small home-built spray booth, my drill/mill, and the 4 buff/grinder motors to go, along with hanging and wiring 6 flourescent lights, and hanging the pegboard that I store my air tools, power tools, and some hand tools, but I never give up.
And I want to get back into reloading my ammo again soon so I can work up some sub-moa 30-06 rounds for the Marlin XL7 I recently purchased. That rifle retails for around $269.00 with a scope mount and scope, fluted bolt, recessed muzzle crown, adjustable trigger, and is available with a Realtree HD camo stock. I have added a Limbsaver Barrel Deresontar, SlingStix camo sling, Caldwell bipod, and a camo shell holder that slips on over the butt stock. They only weigh 6 pounds, and with the thick rubber factory recoil pad it kicks like a mule on drugs, so I'm adding a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad and a few accessories to increase weight a bit. I took the factory 3x9 off and mounted a 4x16x40 CenterPoint with illuminated red/green mil-dot reticle, and am VERY satisfied with it's performance and accuracy out of the box. I am shooting some Winchester 180gr. Power-Point rounds, and some handloads with 39.2gr. of 4198 behind a 110gr. soft point bullet that my father loaded. I have the scope bore-sighted and have been doping the scope but have'nt quite got it tuned to my liking.
Also have a stainless 10-22 with the 22" barrel that I have put in a Choate Dragunov style stock, a 3x9x40 scope from the Marlin, a Leapers Quad Rail sytem, Limbsaver Barrel Deresontor, muzzle brake, and have put new Wolff springs in the trigger group, and a Volquartsen bolt recoil pad. Before changing optics I had this one shooting 10 round groups the size of a nickle at 75 yards with a bipod from the prone position. I was honestly suprised it shot this good, and I know now I can get better groups with it with a little more tuning. Thanks for reading my rambling, I am new here, this is my 3rd post, and I just wanna share what I have and can do and get to be known around here.

"Designated Marksman"-The guy that hunts down the enemy and shoots him in the head.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #4

Default i want to be a pro gun designer

do you have anytips on gun designing be it a website to advice?