My AR-15 Projects... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My AR-15 Projects...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Looks like you got a nice build, and a nice write up there, for the other folks who are hoping to get on board before the looming gun ban.

I like what you did with the low pro gas block and retained the 1913 rail, just in case.

Do you have a plan for Back Up sights? Just a thought.

Let's hope your gunsmith knows what he is doing.

JD

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Looks like you got a nice build, and a nice write up there, for the other folks who are hoping to get on board before the looming gun ban.

I like what you did with the low pro gas block and retained the 1913 rail, just in case.

Do you have a plan for Back Up sights? Just a thought.

Let's hope your gunsmith knows what he is doing.

JD
I was at the point of frustration where getting out my dremel tool and cutting the barrel nut off started to seem "sane" so it's time to call in the pro's. It might be loctite and too much torque, I tried applying heat and all that but I was pulling my vise off the bench and if it has to be cut off I'd rather someone with more experience look at it first. The gunsmith comes highly recommended and it's not a bad idea to have the upper verified and function checked, I know I'll be more confident in the weapon.

The gas block in the assembled photo is the one that came with the upper, I haven't' switched it out yet. The new one will go completely under the handguard and doesn't have a rail built in. The small rail panels made for the VTAC will go on where needed for the front site and planned laser designator. I have a tango down add on to hold my tac light but it should all still look clean, I'm not wild about the "all rails" look. I want to be able to quick change the rifle configuration for different types of shooting.

I plan to buy a set of LaRue front and rear flip up BUIS. They're the Troy sights re-branded but the combo price for both is as low as the non-branded one's are anywhere else. I've been waiting to buy those for either a really good deal or just to let some time pass and avoid pissing the wife off even more than I did on the original budget, (I went over by more than 500.00). I think I spent more on buying the tools and supplies than I had expected, I plan to write up a post on that too since I spent a lot of time deciding what to buy and from whom.

I picked up a mint condition Magpul EMOD stock (which was what I wanted but passed on to save money) for 80 bucks. It's FDE but I can paint it black.

I forgot the best part, my wife sold the Beretta Storm to her sister and want's me to build her a carbine AR after seeing mine and comparing the two rifles. We're looking for the parts and trying to get them ordered ASAP but the timing sucks. I hate to say "I told you so" but I friggin told her she would want one. Then again, the Storm was cheap compared to what we're probably going to spend for another AR.
‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Last edited by infotech; 01-07-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: add wife's decision making process

Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #13

The gun is about to be on it's way back from the smith - I've got to say I'm not thrilled with model1sales.

The barrel nut was seized due to dry threads and had to be machined off on a lathe. The upper was undamaged, luckily.

I had them check the chamber and sure enough, it was set for .223 not 5.56 as ordered and as the rifle is marked. I'm having the chamber opened up in case I ever do manage to get some genuine 5.56 - I'd prefer to have both options.

I had the upper refinished with gunkote - the finish was a bit fragile as it came from model1.

Of course I emailed and tried to call them, no response at all. I still have a decent rifle out of the deal and it should be more accurate and durable now thanks to the gunsmith, I just won't be doing any repeat business with model1. I did end up spending enough to have just about covered buying a higher end "brand" but having the upper aligned and checked out makes it all balance out.

I should have the upper back in a few days or so - I'll finish putting the rest of it back together and post some photos then, hopefully along with a range test.

‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #14

Sorry about that bro - that totally sucks, especially when you take the sellers word for what they are providing. Dry threads and possibly cross threaded is not a good combination...

Gunkote is as good as advertised - definitely makes your finish more durable when it's baked on. I am having a similiar process done to my new 7mm since the barrel is stainless..

We can definitely add Model1sales to the "Do Not Purchase" from list - Take note folks...

JD

Old 01-21-2009, 02:54 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dude that sucks
at least you got everything figured out now
let us know when you get it back

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 01-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

We should compile a 'do not buy from' list. In the list, we need to add why we shouldn't buy from these companies to avoid a libel suit.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
We should compile a 'do not buy from' list. In the list, we need to add why we shouldn't buy from these companies to avoid a libel suit.
I was thinking the same thing - but I think we need notdku to weigh in first since it would be his lawyers on retainer taking the incoming complaint.

We have a few now that have been mentioned, especially in the AR threads....

JD

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #18

The upper came back from the gunsmith but I had some camera issues which delayed getting the pics up. I'm still not entirely happy with the photos but it'll do for now.

Just to revisit the long path which led to the current rifle - I wanted an accurate weapon able to stand up to hard use so I went with a heavy barrel fluted for heat management and some weight loss. I like the flat top ARs vs. the A2 types w/ carry handle and planned to use a few different shooting setups:

• standard iron sights using flip up BUIS
  • holo red dot (standard day to day and home defense)
  • ranged scope (I have a Nikon scope for now until I can afford something better)
Of course I'd prefer to have 2 or 3 different rifles setup with different calibers but that's just not going to happen right now although I am probably going to order another upper configured for light weight, standard A2 iron sights and holo-dot.

Brett at NW Armswerkes (I can't remember how he spells it right now) performed the surgery on the seized barrel nut, gunkoted the upper, opened the chamber for 5.56 and aligned / test fired the beast. With the VTAC handguard on it is one heavy gun but I'm able to carry the load just fine and the gains in accuracy should be evident. I have the BUIS and a bipod ordered, they should be here this week sometime.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think I could get for her if I were to sell her in the current market? Considering she was my first I definitely want to keep her, just wondering how I made out on spending vs. market value.

Last edited by Dillinger; 03-02-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #19

Old 03-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

very nice infotech
so you decided to scope it huh?
have you shot it yet?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent