Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   My AR-15 build is finally complete today.......... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-ar-15-build-finally-complete-today-13681/)

01coltcolt 05-09-2009 12:16 AM

My AR-15 build is finally complete today..........
 
I built this from all new parts. I am happy with it and I can't wait to shoot it. I had lots of issues choosing the parts I went with. I still would like to upgrade the trigger later. But the RRA 2 stage is fine.......
I took it out today and fired it with 55gr Wolf ammo today. Worked like a champ!
I used the following:
Armalite M15 upper/ lower
Wilson Combat barrel fluted 16 inch
RRA LPK
RRA National Match 2 stage trigger
A.R.M.S. 41-B Silhouette Folding A frame front sight
A.R.M.S. 50 M-CV rail system
A.R.M.S #40L rear flip up
EOtech 512
Standard charging handle
POF flash hider
Dan Young National Match bolt Chrome
Magpul Mags/ Grip/ trigger guard/ CTR stock and pipe
Standard buffer and spring
Standard Gas tube
Finish is Duracoat Snow gray, dusted with black and satin clear coat.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...colt/AR001.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...colt/AR003.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...lt/AR12001.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...colt/AR002.jpg

hillbilly68 05-09-2009 12:31 AM

Good work, that is a great looking carbine. I dig the two- tone look. However, one boo-hiss can't believe you would do that to her...you shot wolf ammo through her? Good gawd man, please dont do that to her. :confused:

01coltcolt 05-09-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 103981)
Good work, that is a great looking carbine. I dig the two- tone look. However, one boo-hiss can't believe you would do that to her...you shot wolf ammo through her? Good gawd man, please dont do that to her. :confused:

:) I always use Wolf ammo/silver bear or Gold tiger to test fire new AR-15 projects. The reason being is the direct impengment system is kind of finicky. If it will cycle this under powered stuf it will run anything:D

RL357Mag 05-09-2009 03:01 AM

Why is your gas system finicky? I never heard that before.

plasticman 05-09-2009 03:09 AM

looks great!

JoeCool 05-09-2009 03:14 AM

Me want! I would give anything to have that beauty! Nice work, man!!!

01coltcolt 05-09-2009 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 104037)
Why is your gas system finicky? I never heard that before.

Well,
I have built 30+ AR type rifles over the years. The issues have ranges from buffers weights/ Buffer springs/gas tube lengths/ chambers/mags/ammo.
The number 1 problem is Mags #2 has been ammo..................when the ammo is under powered it doesn't send the bolt to the rear with enough force to complete a full cycle. Therefore ejects but doesn't pick up the next round from the mag...................

JoeCool 05-09-2009 03:29 AM

Can/will you sell one?

01coltcolt 05-09-2009 03:35 AM

Pics prior to the DuraCoat.................this 4 picture thing sucS!
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...olt/XAR007.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...olt/XAR006.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...olt/XAR003.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...olt/XAR002.jpg

RL357Mag 05-09-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01coltcolt (Post 104048)
Well,
I have built 30+ AR type rifles over the years. The issues have ranges from buffers weights/ Buffer springs/gas tube lengths/ chambers/mags/ammo.
The number 1 problem is Mags #2 has been ammo..................when the ammo is under powered it doesn't send the bolt to the rear with enough force to complete a full cycle. Therefore ejects but doesn't pick up the next round from the mag...................

So it's underpowered ammo, not the design/function of the gas system. The reason I asked is because several folks have tried to make the claim that the direct impingement gas system is unreliable. Unreliability only becomes an issue in the older full-auto M-16/M-4's where a high cyclic rate could cause a higher rate of heat and carbon buildup. I have never shot Wolf ammo in my AR's so I am not familiar with their performance, but underpowered ammo is certainly a problem in semi-auto. Your build looks beautiful and meticulously done! Congrats.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.