Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My AR-15 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My AR-15 Build

Hi everyone I just did an AR-15 build. This was a build that I was on a tight budget on and saved money for a little over two years just to build. I did a lot research on it and what I wanted. I bought the lower receiver first when I found a great deal on an Essential Arms lower for $77.00 pluss shipping and FFL chargers. This came to a tottal of $116.00 out the door. I then started looking at full upper kits and looked at all the brand names in the ABC family. I went with a kit from akpartkits.com. I know its Black Thorn and I read about them good and bad and I have talked with a few guys that have built in the last few months with their kits. I got the kit in and at first was a little shy at putting it together by myself. I did get it done and it looks great. I cant wait to get to the range im about an hour and half from any were I can shoot a rifle. Im going to try and post some pics of the kit and finish product. Tell me what you think good or bad and even if you hate black thorn lol.

I will have a range report on it as soon as I can. I hope to be able to shoot it in the next few weeks. I also have to get to the gun smith and have the butt stock tightened, barrel checked to make sure its in 5.56 and my worked checked out as well. I feel like im cheating on my AK with her lol.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #2

So what is the total you payed for everything? Just curious as I might try this soon. Thanks,

John

Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #3

Ok I will break it down with the shipping in it to. I dont think I have much over 600 in it.

Price

Lower receiver $77 + shipping and FFL came to $116.00

Upper kit $399.00 + shipping and insurance came to $431.51

Magazine's $9.99 + shipping. I bought four 30 round mags for $49.00. But if you look at what factory ARs come with and thats two 30 rounders it would be $29.00 shipped.

A2 peep site $29.99 + 9.99 shipping came to $39.98. I had other stuff that was on back order some mags that were $7.99ea.

The tottal of the above came to with two mags counted $616.50.

The place I ordered from--

Lower receiver www.essentialarms.com

Full upper with lower parts www.akpartskits.com

A2 peep site www.centerfiresystems.com

30 round mags right now on sale 9.69ea or 9.99 for D&H www.44mag.com

I found these to be the best prices as of right now and when I ordered. Keep me posted on your build and good luck on it. I had a blast.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

EDIT: Answered my own question with a quick search. This is the old Hesse & Vulcan stuff.

What kind of barrel did you get? Appears to be either 16" or 18" from the picture. GI Standard? Or what?

Thanks,

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-10-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Found out myself...

Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #5

I ordered the M4 kit in 16' barrel chambered for 556. I want to take this and have my worked checked out and also make sure the barrel is chambered in 556 before I shoot it. The kit is a Hess/Vulcon but came with a tag saying Black Thorn so Im not sure who is the owner now. I read all the bad and good things before I ordered. I also talked to guys who have been building using them as of late and all good things. My upper fits and looks good on the lower. I hope to have a range report on it soon. I have health problems and funds were limited so I was looking at Del-Ton and akpartskits.com and went with akpartskits.com and Im happy with it. Keep me posted on what kit you go with and how it turns out.