My .308 Winchester Tactical Rig - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My .308 Winchester Tactical Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

No Kidding?! You have two of my most favorite places to eat on this planet there. Black Bear Diner for breakfast and In and Out Burger by the mall for lunch/dinner. I loved my time there. Used to know a pretty hot box of chauks named Katie Y. from down there... *wolf whistle*

I did some State Licensend Boar "hunting" just south of Anderson. That was the first blood my .308 ever spilled.

JD

Old 06-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #22

she sounds like one well built girl,im building a 308 rig myself but not as good as what you made , maybe have to rethink some of my build.JD have read alot of your posts and it seems you got your head screwed on strait so keep hanging around your smith and soak up all the info you can.I was spending a lot of time with my gunsmith and pretty sure i was driving him nuts with questions and one day he put me to work, i learned a lot but he passed on and i miss the friendship and tutoriols.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwolf View Post
she sounds like one well built girl,im building a 308 rig myself but not as good as what you made , maybe have to rethink some of my build.JD have read alot of your posts and it seems you got your head screwed on strait so keep hanging around your smith and soak up all the info you can.I was spending a lot of time with my gunsmith and pretty sure i was driving him nuts with questions and one day he put me to work, i learned a lot but he passed on and i miss the friendship and tutoriols.
Thanks Ravenwolf - It sounds like you and I got our start about the same way. Once I started talking to my gunsmith, I just wanted more and more out of him. Then I was between contracts and just started showing up in the mornings and cleaning stuff up, asking what I could help with and pretty soon I was running a lathe for him and doing a half assed job at glass bedding. He never let any of my work go out the door before he looked it over, but pretty soon I was good enough to get joked about getting my apprentice card stamped... LOL

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Gunsmithing isn't something that pays a ton of money, so unless you have been doing it for a long time and have a reliable and loyal customer base, you aren't going to be able to feed a family. As the older generation of 'smiths pass on, hopefully we will get some people willing to stick out and build quality sticks for the future generations.

Best of luck with the build. I look forward to reading about it and seeing your pictures in the near future. *thumbs up*

JD

Old 06-06-2008, 06:12 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
No Kidding?! You have two of my most favorite places to eat on this planet there. Black Bear Diner for breakfast and In and Out Burger by the mall for lunch/dinner. I loved my time there. Used to know a pretty hot box of chauks named Katie Y. from down there... *wolf whistle*

I did some State Licensend Boar "hunting" just south of Anderson. That was the first blood my .308 ever spilled.

JD
The Black Bear in Redding was the 2nd one that they opened ever. The 1st was up in Mt. Shasta.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #25

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G
I'm from Redding, it's not a bad area if you can get away from all of the bay area refugees.
LOL I am from Corning. 50 miles south of Redding.

Black Bear is some of the best down home warm your innards just like mama's cooking places to eat. I have to go and eat there every time I make it back home.