Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My .308 Winchester Tactical Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Dillinger that is one sweet @ss looking and sounding .308 sniper rifle
How does it shoot ?
What's your farthest shot with it ?

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&k bigdaddydieseldan View Post
Dillinger that is one sweet @ss looking and sounding .308 sniper rifle
How does it shoot ?
What's your farthest shot with it ?
Thanks Big Daddy. It shoots a solid half minute of angle just about everyday of the week, but the tightest group I have personally put through it was about .40 or so, depending on where you mic'd the outside of the burn/tear in the paper. I imagine it would shoot tighter, but I am running through my second case of Federal Gold Medal Match and haven't started reloading with fire formed brass yet. I specifically had the chamber cut for Federal GMM - so I don't expect there to be a ton of difference with handloads, but general thinking is that it will be a bit more accurate with the fire formed stuff.

As for range, I am kind of wuss to be honest, I haven't pushed it further than 500 yards. I originally took some bad advice and only bought a 4.5x14 Tactical for it, so seeing small targets out at 500 in the waving grass & mirage of Northern Kali was a bit of a stretch. I upgraded to the scope that is on there now, the 6.5 x 20, and haven't been out to the range when they open it up to 600, which happens about twice a month. It's on my list of many things to get done this summer, along with about 100 other things.

JD

Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger
Luckily I had A TON of good input by my gunsmith, so the final package turned out to be a tack driver.
Nice lookin set up for a HDR (Homeland Defense Rifle).

That is one thing I have heard gun smiths complaining about. When some know it all comes in and wants a 399 Shortloudenboomerpoopermag with a 40" barrel in some goofy stock. With a $1500 scope.

If you are building a custom rifle the best thing to do is LISTEN to your gunsmith. If he is good he will not lead you down the wrong path.

Now Dillenger you know I can not post without bustin your chopps a little. Why didn't you built it on a Howa or Weatherby action? LOL

Oh yah and if you want some really good well tested 308 match grad loads then head over to 6mmbr.com and take a look at their 308 section. Some good loads being showed over there.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

Now Dillenger you know I can not post without bustin your chopps a little. Why didn't you built it on a Howa or Weatherby action? LOL
LOL - You know, when I saw that you had responded to this post, I was almost afraid to see what you had to say about the weapon itself...

This rifle was my first ever project into the long range tactical department. I read a couple of books ( Ultimate Sniper by Plaster and Accurizing the Factory Rifle by MacPherson ) before ever consulting a 'smith. All I knew was Remington and Winchester - those were the only two actions anyone ever talked about. I knew about the extractor issues, but like a lot of people, there was so much written about them, I figured that many people couldn't possibly be wrong.

Luckily my 'smith is one hell of a guy and about the most knowledgable I have ever met. The Howa/Vanguard wasn't yet prominent in the market place and they weren't offering any stocks that weren't complete customs. My 'smith suggested going with the Winchester and I have been happy ever since...

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 06-04-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Hit the damn button too early

Old 06-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

You know Dillinger. That John Dillinger's right hand man was a relative of mine Homer Van Meter? Kind of funny how things like that work out isn't it.

The ultimate sniper is an awsome book.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You know Dillinger. That John Dillinger's right hand man was a relative of mine Homer Van Meter? Kind of funny how things like that work out isn't it.

The ultimate sniper is an awsome book.
No Kidding? That is pretty cool actually. I read the whole Dillinger biography and was enthralled by it. Couldn't put it down. The history books and the "press" of the time make him out to be this renegade robber killing everyone he came across and seducing women all over the country. It was really interesting to read what actually went on.

Van Meter & Dillinger had a shoot out with the FBI on April 23rd, which happens to be my finacee's birthday. Six degrees of separation anyone?

Van Meter got the same treatment in the end that Dillinger got - too many bullets and a lack of "resisting" arrest that could be "proven".

Pretty cool facts none the less there Tango, I might need to cut you some slack in future posts because of it.

JD

Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Nice deer rifle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Where were you at in the PRC, Dillinger?

Last edited by matt g; 06-04-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Where were you at in the PRC, Dillinger?
I built plant in Redding, Shasta, Anderson, Chico, Oroville, Paradise, Palermo, Oak Grove, Sacramento, Oakland, S.F. + Daly City and San Mateo.

You can keep it... LOL

JD

Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm from Redding, it's not a bad area if you can get away from all of the bay area refugees.