My .308 Winchester Tactical Rig
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My .308 Winchester Tactical Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default My .308 Winchester Tactical Rig

Here are some finish pictures and a write up of my first custom build. The weapon is currently about 2 years old, but I thought it might be nice to add to the projects gallery as a reference source.

The rifle is a pre-’64 Winchester Model 70 action. The locking lugs have been lapped smooth and the firing pin has been replaced with a Titanium SpeedLok model to cut down on firing time after the trigger has been pulled.

Trigger is a Timney drop in, tuned to just a hair under 2 pounds of pull. I really like the Timney triggers because they have three levers, most triggers have two, and fine tuning them is really easy. Once you get the trigger pull you want it has really good lock down screws, and add a couple of small drops of clear finger nail polish, and you have a rock solid trigger with great travel and almost NO over travel.

Barrel is a 1 in 12 twist Krieger cut down to 24 inches and has been cut into a special “Delta” shaped configuration to save on front end weight. Barrel has a purpose built tactical muzzle break that vents gas up and out, without venting any gas down into the dirt or grass, reducing signature after firing. The barrel was aligned to within 2/10,000th of an inch bore to breach before being custom cut with a reamer designed specifically for the .308 Federal Gold Medal Match, 168gr. BTHP. This choice was based on the availability of high quality “factory” ammo available from the good folks at Federal and I didn’t have to worry about learning all the ins and outs of reloading right out of the gate. As I have said, this was my first rifle build, so I wanted to be able to concentrate on shooting. Not having to worry about is this load too much, not enough, am I doing this reloading thing right, is my case weak walled, is the powder measurement right, etc. greatly increased my interest and limited my disappointment.

Stock is an H-S Precision 2 way adjustable fiberglass model with the full tactical rail running the entire length of the underside of the stock, from the front of the trigger guard to the breach. This gives you the ability to attach your bipod, in this case I have a Harris, in any needed configuration along with adding weights or custom hand holds as desired. All my rifles have this feature and I find it terribly useful. We ordered this one with a custom Decelerator recoil pad, which tames the punch to your body down to minimal.

On the top of the action I have mounted a cool rail from this company in Minnesota that has 20 MOA built into it, this gives you the ability to get much more travel out of your scope for much longer ranged shots. The name escapes me at the moment, but if you are interested in it PM me and I will get the name and address for you.

Scope is a Leupold 6.5 to 20 x 50mm Long Range Tactical Mil-Dot configuration that is zeroed in at 200 yards. With this zero I can make shorter shots using the Mil-Dot quite easily and step out to 300 or 350 yards without much changing of the knobs at all. The Mil Dot isn’t for everyone, but I really like the ability to make subtle changes without messing with the windage and elevation knobs all the time. Badger Ordnance scope rings and Butler Creek flip up scope covers round out the optics. The rifle weighs in at 12.2lbs, but that weight will increase a bit when I have it rebarreled in the Summer.

The black box with the red circle is a Leica LRF 1200 – a laser range finder, this one is a monocular. Accurate to within +/- 3 feet at 1200 yards, according to the manufacturer, this is a good, durable unit that will get you on target in a hurry. Rubberized armor and water tight, you don’t have to worry about it in the field going T.U. on you.

My new Kestrel 4500 wind & weather meter; 5.11 HRT Watch & range book complete my shooting solution package.

I house the rifle and the Leica in a Pelican 1750 case with my action guide, cleaning rod, sling, torque wrench for the scope and collimeter ( used for recalibrating your scope to zero should you need to remove it for any reason ) keep everything safe and sound.

The black mat below the rifle & gear is from Tactical Tailor and is a fold up, easily portable shooting mat. High density foam and a traction grip are sewn in to give you a real comfortable place to lie and send rounds down range.

Hope you enjoy -

D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #2

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

That is sweet and something I would like to have

Old 03-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #3

Thanks. I appreciate that. It was a labor of love and took a ton of research before I was ready to make the move and start putting the pieces in place. Luckily I had A TON of good input by my gunsmith, so the final package turned out to be a tack driver.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #4

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

If I get my settlement on disability soon I will be getting myself a good rifle like this

Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #5

Wow that is a master piece and when I turn 18 I would love to own it iam going to start working within weeks and save for my truck only 1000 and then my first few guns.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it wont have to be put to use until they try and take it from us" - Thomas jefferson

Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Here are some finish pictures and a write up of my first custom build. The weapon is currently about 2 years old, but I thought it might be nice to add to the projects gallery as a reference source.

The rifle is a pre-’64 Winchester Model 70 action. The locking lugs have been lapped smooth and the firing pin has been replaced with a Titanium SpeedLok model to cut down on firing time after the trigger has been pulled.

Trigger is a Timney drop in, tuned to just a hair under 2 pounds of pull. I really like the Timney triggers because they have three levers, most triggers have two, and fine tuning them is really easy. Once you get the trigger pull you want it has really good lock down screws, and add a couple of small drops of clear finger nail polish, and you have a rock solid trigger with great travel and almost NO over travel.

Barrel is a 1 in 12 twist Krieger cut down to 24 inches and has been cut into a special “Delta” shaped configuration to save on front end weight. Barrel has a purpose built tactical muzzle break that vents gas up and out, without venting any gas down into the dirt or grass, reducing signature after firing. The barrel was aligned to within 2/10,000th of an inch bore to breach before being custom cut with a reamer designed specifically for the .308 Federal Gold Medal Match, 168gr. BTHP. This choice was based on the availability of high quality “factory” ammo available from the good folks at Federal and I didn’t have to worry about learning all the ins and outs of reloading right out of the gate. As I have said, this was my first rifle build, so I wanted to be able to concentrate on shooting. Not having to worry about is this load too much, not enough, am I doing this reloading thing right, is my case weak walled, is the powder measurement right, etc. greatly increased my interest and limited my disappointment.

Stock is an H-S Precision 2 way adjustable fiberglass model with the full tactical rail running the entire length of the underside of the stock, from the front of the trigger guard to the breach. This gives you the ability to attach your bipod, in this case I have a Harris, in any needed configuration along with adding weights or custom hand holds as desired. All my rifles have this feature and I find it terribly useful. We ordered this one with a custom Decelerator recoil pad, which tames the punch to your body down to minimal.

On the top of the action I have mounted a cool rail from this company in Minnesota that has 20 MOA built into it, this gives you the ability to get much more travel out of your scope for much longer ranged shots. The name escapes me at the moment, but if you are interested in it PM me and I will get the name and address for you.

Scope is a Leupold 6.5 to 20 x 50mm Long Range Tactical Mil-Dot configuration that is zeroed in at 200 yards. With this zero I can make shorter shots using the Mil-Dot quite easily and step out to 300 or 350 yards without much changing of the knobs at all. The Mil Dot isn’t for everyone, but I really like the ability to make subtle changes without messing with the windage and elevation knobs all the time. Badger Ordnance scope rings and Butler Creek flip up scope covers round out the optics. The rifle weighs in at 12.2lbs, but that weight will increase a bit when I have it rebarreled in the Summer.

The black box with the red circle is a Leica LRF 1200 – a laser range finder, this one is a monocular. Accurate to within +/- 3 feet at 1200 yards, according to the manufacturer, this is a good, durable unit that will get you on target in a hurry. Rubberized armor and water tight, you don’t have to worry about it in the field going T.U. on you.

My new Kestrel 4500 wind & weather meter; 5.11 HRT Watch & range book complete my shooting solution package.

I house the rifle and the Leica in a Pelican 1750 case with my action guide, cleaning rod, sling, torque wrench for the scope and collimeter ( used for recalibrating your scope to zero should you need to remove it for any reason ) keep everything safe and sound.

The black mat below the rifle & gear is from Tactical Tailor and is a fold up, easily portable shooting mat. High density foam and a traction grip are sewn in to give you a real comfortable place to lie and send rounds down range.

Hope you enjoy -

D
I bet it cost a pretty penny to modify it. Can I use that first picture to put in my ablum on here for guns id like to own oneday?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it wont have to be put to use until they try and take it from us" - Thomas jefferson

Old 04-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #7

Sure. Be my guest. Just know that she sits in my safe at night.

The weapon was built piece meal, over a year's time, so the actual impact to the pocket book was minimal. My 'smith has a year or so backlog anyways, so it all worked out and I got a hell of a nice stick in the process.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #8

That is a fine home defense rifle. Nice work.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1627 View Post
That is a fine home defense rifle. Nice work.
If you're taking head shots at 1 Km, it's not home defense.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
If you're taking head shots at 1 Km, it's not home defense.
LOL - That depends on what you consider to be "your" home....