You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Mr. Belly Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 171 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If yer still painting guns....stop it.

Why?

Because bluing is better and you can't easily remove dog hairs from a painted gun.

Cylinder and screws, etc are done and in the bag coated in oil and Rig grease awaiting completion of the frame and barrel....probably finish this one, except for the rear sight, this weekend. I need to order a rear sight.

Mr. Belly Gun - DIY Projects

Old 02-19-2015, 01:15 AM   #32

Getting ready to send the barreled action in for the overnight rusting. At this point, its carded after its third cycle. Looking just fine satiny velvety purty. If all go's well, bluing will be completed tomorrow evening.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #33

Resting in oil. Looks like tonight will be cleaning and assembly. Sooner if ice prevents Ol John Lee from getting up the driveway to work again!

Old 02-20-2015, 01:20 AM   #34

Still greasy and the dog licked it and I'm still waiting on the rear sight leaf and figgerin on the ejector rod but it sure went together nice. The out of spec grip frame was the worst part of the fit....lots of hand work to move the durn screw holes down and in to match the frame!

But, here it sits at the 95% level and if it were warm enough and I hadn't frozen a brake drum by applying the Ebrake on a durn cold day I'da might coulda done more with the ejector rod housing tonight. But we'll see, a steel one is not off the shelf yet either....might just need steel in the final analysis. But, should be shootable if its nice this weekend!

Old 02-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #35

Experimenting on the aluminum ejector rod housing....already shortened at the back to fit on a true 3.5" barrel....now a notch in the side to cam the ejector button out of the way. This will allow full removal of the cylinder pin, anytime, without removing the entire ejector rod housing. Two benefits, no wear and tear on the threaded hole in the barrel where the ejector rod housing screw is installed and no need to shorten the head of the cylinder pin so much that its hard to grip when you do want to pull it out.

So, hopefully the EHR ordered is in fact steel and I an shorten it for this barrel and put in a neat notch. Then I'll have matching blued steel and no alloy but the rear sight on this fine old gun.

With the cylinder unlocked, it is lined up and the Button depressed and rotated out of the way in its new notch..

Install or withdraw the cylinder pin as the case may be...

All together and ready to go. The notch can be made much smaller by smoothing and reshaping the ejector buttons shank. That might be next. And finally....function is smooth. No catching or bouncing. Rounded edges leading in and out and for the most part, I don't know the notch is there until I use it.

From the show side, the notch is barely noticeable.

People Like This 
Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #36

New parts for the ejector system. Starting with steel and we'll see how it go's.

Story ejector rod, bullseye style. I'll probably drill it out to a ring ejector. But for now, a tight fit in the slightly undersized steel ruger ejector rod housing (incidentally, the EHR housing is for the 3 3/4" barrel so, not too much to remove to make it fit a 3.5" barrel should I decide to use it instead of the older aluminum housing.)

First, it needs its sharp edges broken on the round shaft and the spud that leads to the bullseye button. That and some slight reduction in diameter on the head as it won't even fit into the new steel ruger EHR housing.

Next job will be either replacing the original 3 screw spring and/or polishing out the inside of the EHR housing. Its rough as a cob and this is as far as the spring will insert. There will be no function using this EHR housing unless and until it is cleaned up inside and fitted for smooth action.

The original 3 screw ruger rear sight (no squashed chicken emblem) is rebuilt with new springs, new cross pin, new and longer elevation screw and a taller Hunter rear sight leaf. The leaf comes sans white, so, its painted in before assembly. Why use the original 3 screw sight base? No squashed chicken emblem, no hump on the bottom of the base, the hole is cross drilled higher in the base so that its top is nearly flush with the flattopped top strap. Neater look. We'll have to get to the range to see if this new taller rear leaf is too tall. With luck, it'll be about right. Worst case, it needs light trimming to regulate the rear sights midpoint with factory loads.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #37

Comparing the fitted aluminum Ejector housing to the new steel short (vaquero 3 3/4" barrel) ejector housing. Some work to do on the new steel part to bring it to a fit on the Belly Gun. Not sure if I'll file by hand or make up a cutter from a grade 5 bolt to set back the face of the sleeve that go's into the frame swell.

Bullseye ejector is converted to a ring ejector by center drilling. Front face is heavily countersunk. The pad of the finger or glove fits snuggly into the recess making for very positive purchase on the ejection stroke. Looks good too.

A close fitting drill down the bore of the ejector housing removes all the burrs and bumps.....though only a bit smoother inside, now the ejector rod and original 3 screw return spring slide easily back and forth w/o binding. The rod will need shortening. The housing needs a bit of sanding inside in addition to shortening at the rear and finally, probably have to rust blue them both.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #38

Well, the steel ruger ejector housing was rather more work than I like but it looks like a successful experiment in fitting up a steel ejector housing with a ring button and a simple slot to allow caming the button out of the way to fully withdraw the cylinder pin.

For starters, I finished polishing up the inside of the housing.....a bit of worn 120 on a stick and spin it with a drill. A moments work......later all the hours and hours piled up!

Good enough inside, it'll get a final bit of polish after all the other work is done on the ejector housing.

A new tennon is cut and shaped at the back end, all hand filing with safe sided files so that the screw hole in the ejector rod lines up with the threaded hole in the front of the barrel. The ejector rod is shortened to clear the cylinder. And finally, a slot was filed and ground in to the race way of the housing so the Ring button can cam up and out of the way for disassembly of the revolver and full removal of the cylinder pin for cleaning.....all with out having to ever remove the ejector rod housing screw from the barrel. It works. It was 4 hours work. Next time I'll just spend the $50 for a Cimarron cammed ejector housing for the 3.5" barrel. Fully functional, but steel is much harder to file in by hand than the aluminum ejector rod housing, the aluminum one only took an hour to do!

View of the fully functional assembly from the business end.

And profiles of the fully assembled gun. Final polish and blue of these last few parts next week and off to the range.....oh yeah, everything fits the De Santis crossdraw leather holster. Nothing is too big, the ejector button does not cam backwards on holstering nor does it prevent holstering even though its a giant button. I am looking forward to hitting the range soon.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #39

Fortunately my career has advanced well beyond the point where I have to put up with stupid ****e. So on arriving at the airport, noting my flight to KY was backed up 5 hours and backing up another 3 real soon and noting the single agent at the window to reflight a line of passengers some 200+ people long, I phoned in, cancelled my flight, rental car and hotel reservations and drove home.

Now I'll get this project done a bit early and no stupid ****e.

The EH&R polished and in the damp box for the first rusting.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 AM   #40

All in but the shooting and sight adjustments now.

Beautiful rust black on the EH&R set now. Running around the house shouting A Screw, A Screw, My Kingdom for a SCREW! I misplaced the EH&R retention screw.....found it where I left it....in the safe with the revolver.

Go side, installed and looking fine. Smooth function, no hang up in the notch noted. We'll see how it does at the range.

Business end....three large holes.....looks like a Drilling Rifle from here....

Love handle side, unless ya carry Crossdraw, then its still Love Handle side! I need to photo this gun in some good natural light.

A little better shot of this simple modification of the factory EH&R set up.

The button cams nicely out of the way, plenty of room to get the cylinder pin in and out of the gun for cleaning and maintenance.

This is full cartridge lift with the EH&R system shortened to fit a 3.5" long barrel and leave about 1/16" of barrel in front of the end of the EH&R housing. I think one might just be able to go to a barrel length of 3 1/4" and still have cartridge lift that would allow extraction. Removing the backside of the loading gate frees up more working room for fingers.....As much as I'd like to try a 3 1/4" barreled full ejection system I may make one up for me with a 3" barrel, tapered to .6" at the muzzle and NO EH&R and no swell on the show side of the frame.