Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Mosin Nagant stock project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 01:56 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1446 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuylar81 View Post
Beautiful job man I'm working on a nagant m44 myself I used sand paper, started with a heavy grit to remove the surface then went finer. After I hit it with the steel wool. So far so good, I'm planing on staining it a charcoal tone not original I know but I think it will look cool. Thanks for sharing. And again that's beautiful work.
Thank you!

Old 01-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #12

Looks good. I've had a number of these fine firearms come across my bench over the years. My favorite is a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30. It has many rough machined parts and machine marks...it's far from pretty, but still one heck of a rifle. It has a beech stock that I stripped and smoothed, leaving armory marks and oil stained areas intact. Most of those stains are in the wrist area, showing how often it was handled I was unable to get the stock to accept the Sedona Red stain I bought. In the end, I finished mine off with Tung Oil and called it a day.

Yours came out really nice looking...good job!

"A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1446 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringplucker View Post
Looks good. I've had a number of these fine firearms come across my bench over the years. My favorite is a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30. It has many rough machined parts and machine marks...it's far from pretty, but still one heck of a rifle. It has a beech stock that I stripped and smoothed, leaving armory marks and oil stained areas intact. Most of those stains are in the wrist area, showing how often it was handled I was unable to get the stock to accept the Sedona Red stain I bought. In the end, I finished mine off with Tung Oil and called it a day.

Yours came out really nice looking...good job!
Thanks! I used a lot of mineral spirits after stripping per the suggestion of the 'old guy' at the local hardware store, I think that helped the wood accept the stain. Also these were not all made from the sane wood. The lighter colored one was spruce I believe

Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1018 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 347

The 91/30 is finished with shellac. To get the original finish use amber shellac as a sanding sealer. Stain the stock with red mahogany. Then give the stock as many coats of amber shellac as you like. The nice thing about shellac is it is very easy to repair. Use a rag with a fine texture such as an old sheet. Dampen the rag with denatured alcohol. Place the rag on the damaged area until the shellac is "soft." Then use the rag to gently push the shellac into the damaged area. Allow the stock a couple hours to dry. I have used this technique to repair antique furniture I bought at auction for pennies on the dollar. After the repair I have run furniture back through the same auction house for a healthy profit.

Don't use paint thinner to clean your tools or to wipe the dust off a surface you are going to finish with shellac. Use denatured alcohol to clean up your tools or prepare the surface for a coat of shellac.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-11-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 634 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The 91/30 is finished with shellac. To get the original finish use amber shellac as a sanding sealer. Stain the stock with red mahogany. Then give the stock as many coats of amber shellac as you like. The nice thing about shellac is it is very easy to repair. Use a rag with a fine texture such as an old sheet. Dampen the rag with denatured alcohol. Place the rag on the damaged area until the shellac is "soft." Then use the rag to gently push the shellac into the damaged area. Allow the stock a couple hours to dry. I have used this technique to repair antique furniture I bought at auction for pennies on the dollar. After the repair I have run furniture back through the same auction house for a healthy profit.

Don't use paint thinner to clean your tools or to wipe the dust off a surface you are going to finish with shellac. Use denatured alcohol to clean up your tools or prepare the surface for a coat of shellac.
Is the shellac okay for in-house furniture? I have some that could use restoration. Is it clear by itself or has an amber color?

Old 01-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1018 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Is the shellac okay for in-house furniture? I have some that could use restoration. Is it clear by itself or has an amber color?
There is clear shellac but it is not truly clear. I prefer amber shellac for that reason. If you do a little research on shellac you will see the main ingredient is crushed beetles. Given that the main ingredient is a crushed bug it's easy to see why I say that there is no truly clear shellac.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #17

Liked 168 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Nice job. After stripping the stock some of the small dings/dents can be removed with a good steam iron, cloth and patience.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln