Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant stock project (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/mosin-nagant-stock-project-100544/)

chloeshooter 11-19-2013 10:32 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Got into the Russian Rifle Addiction lately, have been spending some time practicing refurb work on these "cheap" rifles. I'd like to get into restoring other rifles but want to know what works best before I spend bigger bucks The 1940 Tula (left in first pic) is the darker color; don't think I will touch it other than the furniture polish I have used. The 1938 Izhevsk is the one I refinished; it was more of a red color to begin with. I got pretty close, would like a closer match but probably need to use shellack like the Ruskies did. Attachment 126594 I used Minwax Senoma Red stain, applying 4 thin coats, then, finished with 5 coats of tung oil Attachment 126597 Attachment 126595 It's very dry right now in Minnesota so this normally week long job took about 3 and 1/2 days due to a no-humidity work space. Attachment 126596 Of course the Izhevsk has the better stock and the Tula better iron. Of course! But all numbers match so no thought of mix and match. I'm a big fan of the luster tung oil provides. We will have to see how it holds up but do far we are pleased Attachment 126598



Attachment 126599

Mercator 11-19-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloeshooter (Post 1435929)
Got into the Russian Rifle Addiction lately, have been spending some time practicing refurb work on these "cheap" rifles. I'd like to get into restoring other rifles but want to know what works best before I spend bigger bucks The 1940 Tula (left in first pic) is the darker color; don't think I will touch it other than the furniture polish I have used. The 1938 Izhevsk is the one I refinished; it was more of a red color to begin with. I got pretty close, would like a closer match but probably need to use shellack like the Ruskies did. Attachment 126594 I used Minwax Senoma Red stain, applying 4 thin coats, then, finished with 5 coats of tung oil Attachment 126597 Attachment 126595 It's very dry right now in Minnesota so this normally week long job took about 3 and 1/2 days due to a no-humidity work space. Attachment 126596 Of course the Izhevsk has the better stock and the Tula better iron. Of course! But all numbers match so no thought of mix and match. I'm a big fan of the luster tung oil provides. We will have to see how it holds up but do far we are

well done. What is it the British did not understand about rifle stocks? Almost any Mosin has a better wood stock to begin with than an Enfield. Most Ive seen are driftwood.

chloeshooter 11-20-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator
well done. What is it the British did not understand about rifle stocks? Almost any Mosin has a better wood stock to begin with than an Enfield. Most Ive seen are driftwood.

Thanks.

My guess is the Brits used up all their decent wood years before building the largest wooden ship navy the world has ever seen

FullautoUSA 11-21-2013 01:39 AM

Some fine rifles right there!

fupuk 11-22-2013 06:18 AM

I need to redo my mosin over the winter, yours look way better than mine. Did you sand the stock first and what grit did you use? I did mine but I dont think I got down to bare wood before I stained.

sputnik1988 11-22-2013 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1435947)
well done. What is it the British did not understand about rifle stocks? Almost any Mosin has a better wood stock to begin with than an Enfield. Most Ive seen are driftwood.

:confused: mine looks pretty good, I thought so anyway.

sputnik1988 11-22-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloeshooter (Post 1435929)
Got into the Russian Rifle Addiction lately, have been spending some time practicing refurb work on these "cheap" rifles. I'd like to get into restoring other rifles but want to know what works best before I spend bigger bucks The 1940 Tula (left in first pic) is the darker color; don't think I will touch it other than the furniture polish I have used. The 1938 Izhevsk is the one I refinished; it was more of a red color to begin with. I got pretty close, would like a closer match but probably need to use shellack like the Ruskies did. Attachment 126594 I used Minwax Senoma Red stain, applying 4 thin coats, then, finished with 5 coats of tung oil Attachment 126597 Attachment 126595 It's very dry right now in Minnesota so this normally week long job took about 3 and 1/2 days due to a no-humidity work space. Attachment 126596 Of course the Izhevsk has the better stock and the Tula better iron. Of course! But all numbers match so no thought of mix and match. I'm a big fan of the luster tung oil provides. We will have to see how it holds up but do far we are pleased Attachment 126598



Attachment 126599


Russian Mosins are generally force matched, they are 30 different rifles in one with matching serial numbers added later, after the arsenal rebuild.

I'd say it would be a chore finding one that wasn't matching.

chloeshooter 11-22-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1437810)
Russian Mosins are generally force matched, they are 30 different rifles in one with matching serial numbers added later, after the arsenal rebuild.

I'd say it would be a chore finding one that wasn't matching.

how many would you like me to send you? I went through about 15 looking for 1 that had all matching numbers.

chloeshooter 11-22-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fupuk (Post 1437802)
I need to redo my mosin over the winter, yours look way better than mine. Did you sand the stock first and what grit did you use? I did mine but I dont think I got down to bare wood before I stained.

I used a furniture stripper first; that took most of the stain off, and I kept at it with steel wool until it was bare wood (wish I had taken a picture of that). I then wiped it down real good with mineral spirits and used more steel wool (this time, '0' grade). I used no sandpaper whatsoever but did spend some time and considerable elbow grease with the steel wool

From there, it was stain and then the tung oil. Good luck, show us pics when you are done please

schuylar81 01-03-2014 11:21 PM

Beautiful job man I'm working on a nagant m44 myself I used sand paper, started with a heavy grit to remove the surface then went finer. After I hit it with the steel wool. So far so good, I'm planing on staining it a charcoal tone not original I know but I think it will look cool. Thanks for sharing. And again that's beautiful work.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.