Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Mosin Nagant Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19473 Times on 11062 Posts
Likes Given: 49068

i used WD-40 over 40 years ago to clean guns. never had any problem with using it. just the reason i don't use it anymore is that there are just much better products than WD-40 available. hell, i don't even use for a penetrating oil anymore. PB Blaster wis much better at breaking loose rusty and crusty bolts. that's what i use at work. in my little gun shop i use Kano Kroil for just about everything. much better product than WD-40.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatmoonshiner View Post
So i wanted to mod a a gun since i just did a restoration so i was thinking of a cheap like $80 mosin with a crappy stock that i'd replace with black synthetic and i wanted to chrome plate the entire gun except the rifling inside the barrel because i know this wouldn't work on a mil surp rifle, but i have 2 questions, will the chrome plating stiffen up the action and should i go nickel or chrome? I don't want a pimp feel to it, more of a light two tone to make an old gun a piece of art. I just don't know if nickel plating is shiny enough because i want a little reflection, but not a mirro finish, if any one has a good link to a close up of a nickel plated firearm that would be great can't find a close up on google.
Thanks

Where can you find a mosin @ 80 I have one and want to get another bu I only see them for like 175 and up. I am in CA which might explain that. But if you know of any place online please let me know .

Old 01-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1345 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 453

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw206 View Post
Well by using wd-40 for 40 years i pity your weapons i am a 5 year vet sniper and have been a gunsmith for almost 4 years on top of that
I have guns that are pretty old that were cared for with WD 40 for many years They still look like new and have no unusual wear. I have a BAR that was made in the 1930's that I hunt with every season. It's in better than 90% condition. I have a super blackhawk that I left in the bottom of a boat all winter. The Ruger isn't in super good shape but it's not bad. I cleaned both with WD 40 until Remoil came out. At one point WD 40 was the most highly recommended gun cleaner/lubricant on the market. I use CLP to maintain my guns now because it is very easy to use.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19473 Times on 11062 Posts
Likes Given: 49068

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have guns that are pretty old that were cared for with WD 40 for many years They still look like new and have no unusual wear. I have a BAR that was made in the 1930's that I hunt with every season. It's in better than 90% condition. I have a super blackhawk that I left in the bottom of a boat all winter. The Ruger isn't in super good shape but it's not bad. I cleaned both with WD 40 until Remoil came out. At one point WD 40 was the most highly recommended gun cleaner/lubricant on the market. I use CLP to maintain my guns now because it is very easy to use.
part of the reason i don't use WD40 anymore is i just don't think it's the same composition as it was years ago. it won't even loosen rusty bolts very well anymore. i used it for many years with good results, but i refuse to use it anymore. there are just way better products than WD40 now.