Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Mosin Nagant Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
My weapons are just fine. I was an FFL and a gunsmith/engraver for 30 years. I'm also a cutler and a jeweler. I think I know my way around guns and mechanicals. Google my name sometime if you are interested.
Its all just a matter of what you want to risk and i wasnt saying u didnt know your way sir

Old 10-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #12

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If you want to mod a Mosin to end up with a cheap modern type sporting rifle, you will only end up with a cheap kind of sporting rifle that cost more than a factory made, bottom end sporting rifle. I did a totally reversible mod on a Mosin including; a bent bolt that I bent, a timney trigger, composite stock, polished bolt, recrown. scope mount made from an original rear sight mount, new sling and swivels and finish on the stock. I have more $$$ in than a new gun would cost me not to mention hours of time. It is not near as accurate as most any bottom end new guns. I learned a bit and enjoyed doing it, but I knew all of this when I started so don't be disillusioned with the outcome and have a ball turning a $150.00 piece of history into a $85.00 sporting rifle, it's yours to do what you want to it. Pictures are pre scope and final finish and bent bolt.
rifle.jpg
butt.jpg
fore.jpg

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 737

The Mosin is an anomaly among mil surp firearms. No other gun 70-100 years old can be had today in 100% gtg condition for pocket change. Or even unfired, as is the case with many M44. The rifle is ridiculously undervalued only because of 1, its astronomical production numbers in the past, and 2, the fear of foreign invasion that kept possibly millions of them warehoused just in case. I agree the $350 price tag is not far off. I also agree that leaving a Mosin alone may be a better investment than most sporterizing jobs.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #14

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

How to modernize a mosin? Buy ammo that isn't mil surp. Ha.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #15

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatmoonshiner View Post
So i wanted to mod a a gun since i just did a restoration so i was thinking of a cheap like $80 mosin with a crappy stock that i'd replace with black synthetic and i wanted to chrome plate the entire gun except the rifling inside the barrel because i know this wouldn't work on a mil surp rifle, but i have 2 questions, will the chrome plating stiffen up the action and should i go nickel or chrome? I don't want a pimp feel to it, more of a light two tone to make an old gun a piece of art. I just don't know if nickel plating is shiny enough because i want a little reflection, but not a mirro finish, if any one has a good link to a close up of a nickel plated firearm that would be great can't find a close up on google.
Thanks
If you are talking about an ATI stock, They are crap. A lot of us think the more beat up a Mosin, the more realistic it is and should be respected proportionally. I am about ready to return my Mosin sporter to its original glory. I might keep the Timney trigger?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #16

Liked 1121 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
OK. I'm a plater, among other things.
First- WD 40 won't hurt primers. This is an old wive's tale that has been disproved many times. I have used WD 40 for 40 years with no ill effects.

Now- any plating only reflects the metal finish underneath it. In other words, shiny metal plates shiny. Satin finished metal plates satin. Plating is very thin and does not cover surface imperfections. It only colors the metal. Nickel is yellowish. Chrome is whiter. Once metal is plated, any further polishing or abrasion will remove the plating. You have to have the surface finish you want before plating. You can't polish it brighter later.

Plating a Mosin, even if the polishing is already done, would cost more than the gun.

Last point- You young guys are seeing the LAST of the cheap imported surplus guns. Obama just outlawed importing any more. Your $80 Mosins will be $350 Mosins in a few years (if you leave them alone.)
I was with you until you said Obama banned further importation. Where is the back-up for that statement and did anyone remember to tell Molot about it? They are currently flooding the market with Mosins. Some folks are a bit confused over what is and what is not importable.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #17

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

Only back up I have is that recently Obama signed an executive order banning the importation of military weapons. Look it up. Signed just after the Navy yard shootings, if I remember correctly.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 737

Quote:
Only back up I have is that recently Obama signed an executive order banning the importation of military weapons. Look it up. Signed just after the Navy yard shootings, if I remember correctly.
Bill no military weapons have been directly imported for 20 years now. Only part kits and sporting makeovers. Obama banned re-importation of guns issued overseas aka bringbacks.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #19

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

I did a little more research.
The CMP HAS been bringing in military weapons. They no longer can do that.
Nor can anyone re-import former US military weapons. It is unclear to me whether miltary weapons other than US weapons can be imported.
You can bet the EO will be enforced in the strictest sense, though.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #20

Liked 1121 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 276

My only question is where are you going to find an $80.00 Mosin-Nagant? That ship has sailed.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan