Mosin Nagant Mods
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Mosin Nagant Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Mosin Nagant Mods

So i wanted to mod a a gun since i just did a restoration so i was thinking of a cheap like $80 mosin with a crappy stock that i'd replace with black synthetic and i wanted to chrome plate the entire gun except the rifling inside the barrel because i know this wouldn't work on a mil surp rifle, but i have 2 questions, will the chrome plating stiffen up the action and should i go nickel or chrome? I don't want a pimp feel to it, more of a light two tone to make an old gun a piece of art. I just don't know if nickel plating is shiny enough because i want a little reflection, but not a mirro finish, if any one has a good link to a close up of a nickel plated firearm that would be great can't find a close up on google.
Thanks

Last edited by Thatmoonshiner; 03-03-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You would have the option of the when you get it plated, if not changing the finish won't be that hard. If you want a finish that is in the middle of a matte finish to a mirror finish go with a satin finish. All you would have to do is polish to plating out with 400 to 600 grit paper using WD-40 as a lube using a shoe shin polishing to keep polish marks going in the same direction.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #3

Naval jelly works wonders to remove old blue from components.

Wear gloves, the cancer warning on the side is no joke!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrbertothy View Post
You would have the option of the when you get it plated, if not changing the finish won't be that hard. If you want a finish that is in the middle of a matte finish to a mirror finish go with a satin finish. All you would have to do is polish to plating out with 400 to 600 grit paper using WD-40 as a lube using a shoe shin polishing to keep polish marks going in the same direction.
NEVER USE WD-40 It is a very good penetrating oil and very very hard to clean off ( more times than not a compleat disassembly and cleaning every lil part is the only stop to it ) the problem will show as bad ammo when in fact the ammo is not fauling but the wd-40 has penetrated into your percussion cap an killed it there are a panthera of high grade oils out there take some time to talk to a gunsmith as to which you would like to use

Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatmoonshiner View Post
So i wanted to mod a a gun since i just did a restoration so i was thinking of a cheap like $80 mosin with a crappy stock that i'd replace with black synthetic and i wanted to chrome plate the entire gun except the rifling inside the barrel because i know this wouldn't work on a mil surp rifle, but i have 2 questions, will the chrome plating stiffen up the action and should i go nickel or chrome? I don't want a pimp feel to it, more of a light two tone to make an old gun a piece of art. I just don't know if nickel plating is shiny enough because i want a little reflection, but not a mirro finish, if any one has a good link to a close up of a nickel plated firearm that would be great can't find a close up on google.
Thanks
As far as the plating goes i would go with a matte nickel and keep shining till i got it to where i wanted it for the fact that that you can always shine up never down and Chrome is very very shinny

Old 10-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #6

Liked 124 Times on 78 Posts

OK. I'm a plater, among other things.
First- WD 40 won't hurt primers. This is an old wive's tale that has been disproved many times. I have used WD 40 for 40 years with no ill effects.

Now- any plating only reflects the metal finish underneath it. In other words, shiny metal plates shiny. Satin finished metal plates satin. Plating is very thin and does not cover surface imperfections. It only colors the metal. Nickel is yellowish. Chrome is whiter. Once metal is plated, any further polishing or abrasion will remove the plating. You have to have the surface finish you want before plating. You can't polish it brighter later.

Plating a Mosin, even if the polishing is already done, would cost more than the gun.

Last point- You young guys are seeing the LAST of the cheap imported surplus guns. Obama just outlawed importing any more. Your $80 Mosins will be $350 Mosins in a few years (if you leave them alone.)

Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i'm with Bill, that as many of these cheap Mosins have been bubbafied and modded over the years because they were so cheap, that those that are factory stock are going to increase in price over the next few years. pretty close to what happened with all the Mausers over the years.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
First- WD 40 won't hurt primers. This is an old wive's tale that has been disproved many times. I have used WD 40 for 40 years with no ill effects.

Now- any plating only reflects the metal finish underneath it. In other words, shiny metal plates shiny. Satin finished metal plates satin. Plating is very thin and does not cover surface imperfections. It only colors the metal. Nickel is yellowish. Chrome is whiter. Once metal is plated, any further polishing or abrasion will remove the plating. You have to have the surface finish you want before plating. You can't polish it brighter later.

Plating a Mosin, even if the polishing is already done, would cost more than the gun.

Last point- You young guys are seeing the LAST of the cheap imported surplus guns. Obama just outlawed importing any more. Your $80 Mosins will be $350 Mosins in a few years (if you leave them alone.)
Well by using wd-40 for 40 years i pity your weapons i am a 5 year vet sniper and have been a gunsmith for almost 4 years on top of that

Old 10-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post

As far as the plating goes thats interesting thank you and im with ya on the priceing

Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #10

Liked 124 Times on 78 Posts

My weapons are just fine. I was an FFL and a gunsmith/engraver for 30 years. I'm also a cutler and a jeweler. I think I know my way around guns and mechanicals. Google my name sometime if you are interested.