You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Mjolnir is Now Complete!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3744 Times on 1829 Posts
Likes Given: 13284

Very sexy rifle JD. Looking forward to the finished product. I hope it turns out to be everything you were expecting.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #32

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3504 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Mjolnir Is Home!!

Finally! Delays with everything on this project, including me picking a final caliber, but she is finally done and ready for the range.

Lawton Custom Action
Krieger 1:9 Twist barrel at 26"
Custom Designed Muzzle Break ( You love it Tango )
Lone Wolf Custom Rifle Stock ( 14.5" LOP & Limbsaver Pad )
Rifle Basix Trigger ( set at 1.2lbs of pull - breaks like a glass rod )
Badger Ord Base & Rings
Leupold VX-3 8.5 to 25x50 Long Range Target Scope w/ Varmint Hunters Reticle

Comes it at exactly 16 pounds, the spec weight from the beginning. This beauty will definitely push the Space Zombies back another 300 to 400 yards.

Got plans to go with the big boss ( World Record Holder at 600 & 1000 yards in Benchrest ) and do some shooting of clay pigeons at 550 yards.

I'll post results.....

JD
mjolnir-001.jpg   mjolnir-002.jpg   mjolnir-003.jpg   mjolnir-004.jpg   mjolnir-005.jpg  

Old 03-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #33

Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

O.....M.....G

Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #34

Liked 311 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 146

NICE stick JD!!! I wish I could afford to build something like that for myself.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #35

Thanks guys, but this has been a 5 year purchase, so it's not like I had to pony up any real amount at one time.

A piece here. A trigger. A scope base and mounts.

A part there. The Action. A down payment on the stock. The barrel.

Pretty soon I had most of the parts, and no idea what final caliber.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #36

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

You are a God JD, nice shooting stick there my friend, made with real field grade tactical love, devotion, patience and discipline of a true warrior. **respect**

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #37

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

Looks good.

But, Why no Schmidt and Bender?

What Caliber I missed that somewhere?

Looks good by the way. The break even looks slick.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
You are a God JD, nice shooting stick there my friend, made with real field grade tactical love, devotion, patience and discipline of a true warrior. **respect**

Jack
Thank you Sir!! Thank you very mcuh indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Looks good.

But, Why no Schmidt and Bender?

What Caliber I missed that somewhere?

Looks good by the way. The break even looks slick.
7mm Rem Mag. Going to be shooting 175gr Sierra's at about 2800 and change.

The barrel length and caliber match what HRT is shooting now, though they handload their own ammo. Not sure as to what stock and glass they are using now, but I am betting they still run Remmy Long Actions.

As for the glass, I really, REALLY struggled with that choice. At the onset, I booked the rifle with the new, at the time, Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman scope. Then they brought out another, higher power, Long Range Tactical, and I had to have that one. The adjustments are in meters, but I was willing to do the math.

Then a bunch of time went by and I got to comparing glass prices and what I was getting.

The S & B is the best scope out there, in the opinion of a lot of people including me, but it's damn pricey. I mean, the action was a grand, do I really NEED to add a $3K scope?!

Finally I decided to go with the VX-3 because it was a hell of a lot of scope for the money and take the savings and put it towards some reloading gear for this baby.

I will be doing it right, one round at a time, in my single stage press. I haven't seriously reloaded anything in, probably, 25 years, so I have a ton to learn.

I don't want to make any dumb mistakes, so I will be taking a course from a very well known shooter in these parts who is going to give me the step by step process for dialing in a true tack driver round and then the experimenting will begin.

It's been a long and patient road to get to this point. I don't think I could justify spending this kind of money all at once, so I would have cut corners everywhere. Since it was stretched out, I was able to make the little extra choices to really get the most stick out of the build.

The hope, and the build on paper, should have this baby around 1/2MOA out to 900 or so yards ( 4.5" grouping at 900 ). That is, if I do everything in my power to shoot it right and no wind, mirage or other unforeseen barriers impede.

If I can pull off 5 inch groups at 900 yards, I am going to consider that excellent shooting for a lowly civilian and might even enter a competition, but I am a L-O-O-O-O-N-G way from doing that in the first range session.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #39

Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Thank you Sir!! Thank you very mcuh indeed!

7mm Rem Mag. Going to be shooting 175gr Sierra's at about 2800 and change.

The barrel length and caliber match what HRT is shooting now, though they handload their own ammo. Not sure as to what stock and glass they are using now, but I am betting they still run Remmy Long Actions.

As for the glass, I really, REALLY struggled with that choice. At the onset, I booked the rifle with the new, at the time, Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman scope. Then they brought out another, higher power, Long Range Tactical, and I had to have that one. The adjustments are in meters, but I was willing to do the math.

Then a bunch of time went by and I got to comparing glass prices and what I was getting.

The S & B is the best scope out there, in the opinion of a lot of people including me, but it's damn pricey. I mean, the action was a grand, do I really NEED to add a $3K scope?!

Finally I decided to go with the VX-3 because it was a hell of a lot of scope for the money and take the savings and put it towards some reloading gear for this baby.

I will be doing it right, one round at a time, in my single stage press. I haven't seriously reloaded anything in, probably, 25 years, so I have a ton to learn.

I don't want to make any dumb mistakes, so I will be taking a course from a very well known shooter in these parts who is going to give me the step by step process for dialing in a true tack driver round and then the experimenting will begin.

It's been a long and patient road to get to this point. I don't think I could justify spending this kind of money all at once, so I would have cut corners everywhere. Since it was stretched out, I was able to make the little extra choices to really get the most stick out of the build.

The hope, and the build on paper, should have this baby around 1/2MOA out to 900 or so yards ( 4.5" grouping at 900 ). That is, if I do everything in my power to shoot it right and no wind, mirage or other unforeseen barriers impede.

If I can pull off 5 inch groups at 900 yards, I am going to consider that excellent shooting for a lowly civilian and might even enter a competition, but I am a L-O-O-O-O-N-G way from doing that in the first range session.
And to think you were ribbin' me about my boots!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
And to think you were ribbin' me about my boots!
LOL - I said they were nice. Just too nice for Benning to wear punching cattle.