Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Mjolnir is Now Complete!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Mjolnir is Now Complete!!

So, I have been talking sh!t about this masterpiece for months, and it's finally been completely built ( action wise ) and sent off to Lone Wolf Rifle Stocks for some custom fit fiberglass.

This rifle was designed to be my ultimate field piece. I hold no illusions about my ability to stretch my skills to place guaranteed "killing" rounds into a human target at 1,000 yards or more. I haven't had that training.... yet.

But, I wanted a weapon that could achieve more than I could as the shooter. This would give me nothing but room to improve, and it would drive me, personally, to want to learn reloading, to want to learn windage, learn true long range shooting skills.

As such, and I recommend this to everyone ever considering a rifle build, I made an appointment to take my riflesmith to lunch and discuss what I wanted to do. I wasn't working with Brett at the time, but he had built my .308 Winchester Rig, along with two other work overs, and we had become friends.

He was a good consultant when I was overseas. I had never been living in a third world country before... LOL Brett took the time to teach me about off shore banking and other "intricacies" of living outside the protected US of A. Basically, we had a bond and I trusted his opinions. He knew what my skillset was, had seen me shoot, and knew what I was capable of, and not capable of. The benefits of having a really good 'smith.

We decided on an RPA action first. I am not going to lie and try to tell you that I knew "EXACTLY" what I wanted. I didn't. I had the names of more than 10 custom rifle action makers ranging from the big guys on the block ( McMillan & Hart ) to little known companies ( RPA & BAT ).

For those that don't know, RPA is a Single Shot action that is BIG in the Benchrest Circuit. We have a World Record Holder who shoots Benchrest and has set ( 2 ) World Records with the 6.5 x 284mm cartridge. I was hoping to piggy back his reloading numbers and score myself some impressive groups. LOL

Not only did I not settle on the cartridge, I went with another action all together. How about that?

After too much back and forth to even talk about, we settled first on the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge and then the Lawton Machine Rifle Action.

I am not a big fan of the Remington Rifle Actions, from the factory. The design itself is sound, but the factory action is not the best product that can be turned out. One of the problems I have is with the recoil lug not being an integral part of the rifle action. Lawton has solved this menacing trend with a very easy fix.

While not ideal, this fix allows a direct, drop in replacement to any existing stock with a 700 Action. Lawton includes a driven pin that goes through the recoil lug and into the action body itself. Under stress from the fired round, this keeps the recoil lug aligned exactly where it is supposed to be.

The chamber has been custom cut for the 7mm Remington Magnum Accuracy Load - but we will see what it likes best.

The barrel is a Krieger 1:9 twist, 26 inch length. The muzzle break will be custom designed, by both of us, to be more of a tank style break and not vent down and out, thereby eliminating any dust signature.

After the good folks at Lone Wolf complete the custom fiberglass fit for my rifle, we will custom build the muzzle break, sandblast & blue all available parts. The end result will be a deep blue custom hue to come close to matching the black stock from Lone Wolf.

More pictures when it comes back....

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-28-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #2

Default From Lone Wolf

Got a confirmation from Lone Wolf today, along with a list of components that I had selected for the custom stock:

TACTICAL MASTER inlet for Lawton Custom Action
Carbon fiber composite
Limbsaver recoil pad, 4x spacers, 13 ¾” – 14 ¾”
Rear sling stud
Epoxy texture finish – black
Carbon fiber bedding -#
Adjustable cheekpiece
Steel forend rail – installed

So, with a little bit of luck, my new rifle should be headed back to the shop in about 4 or so weeks.

JD

Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #3

Looking forward to those pictures-- which stock did you get?

What turns you on about shooting bench rest? I went to a few comps and was turned off by it all-- F comp is much more my speed. Down in the dirt-- is where I belong. You'd be surprised what you can do from a pack or bipod prone (with a Remington Action ).

What kind of glass are putting on it? I got a IOR 4-14 x 50 Tactical (MP-8 dot reticule) with med rings I am thinking about unloading for another S&B 3-12 x 50 PMII LP---

Well when you get it all "kitted" out give a holler.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Last edited by JPBeck; 08-29-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #4

I'm getting the Tactical Master 1, with the Carbon Fiber Bedding they do at Lone Wolf.

Definitely not building a benchrest gun. What we have is a benchrest competitor that I was hoping to steal some secrets from for my field gun. His groups, his reloading skills, his general knowledge, all top shelf. I had no desire to compete against him, only a desire to take what he had learned and apply it in a different direction.

I haven't decided on a scope yet. I am leaning towards Leupold, only because I am familiar with the platform and they have never let me down. IOR Valdada has a nice model, and it's a little more money, but I has much more mag power to it ( 9-36 ).

Of course I would love the S & B 5-25. But, I don't have $2600 to throw down on a scope right now I am sorry to say.

I'll post more pictures when it comes back from Lone Wolf and once we get it all blued and ready for optics.

JD

Old 10-06-2008, 02:37 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Now wait one minute here. Dillinger you don't like Remington 700 actions, but here you go building a rifle with an action based on a Remington 700?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Now wait one minute here. Dillinger you don't like Remington 700 actions, but here you go building a rifle with an action based on a Remington 700?
LOL - I copped to that MONTHS AGO... Where have you been.

The Lawton is a "Remington design", but each and every one of the Remington flaws has been addressed and the action is a full 3/4 pound heavier than the Remy. It's got the great extractor, it's got the positive safety, the bolt handle and bolt are all one piece, plus the action is blue printed done to dead on nutz, so it's not a factory model by any sense or shape.

Plus I needed a Remy type action for the stock I wanted from Lone Wolf, or I had to pony up the extra cash, so the search was extensive. It wasn't actually my first choice, but it was where I ended up for the price I wanted to spend for a complete custom action ( less than $1000 ).

JD

Old 10-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Ok just making sure. You know I have to give you a hard time every once in a while.

It will be nice if someday I can build me a custom rifle.

I want a nesika or bat action.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #8

so.. mjolnir that is quite the name, The stone hammer of Tor the scandinavian thundergod, it was said that lightning was the result of his hammer strikes, and that thir was no foe he culd not bring down. by the way the "true" way to spell it is MJÖLNER.
It will be fun to see how this rifle turns out.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swede View Post
so.. mjolnir that is quite the name, The stone hammer of Tor the scandinavian thundergod, it was said that lightning was the result of his hammer strikes, and that thir was no foe he culd not bring down. by the way the "true" way to spell it is MJÖLNER.
It will be fun to see how this rifle turns out.
100% correct and that was the inspiration for the name. I LOVE Norse Mythology. I have about 10 or 12 books on the subject, going all the way back to the Eddas from the 13th century.

I am aware of the correct spelling, I am just not adept enough to pull off the two dots above the "O".

JD

Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
100% correct and that was the inspiration for the name. I LOVE Norse Mythology. I have about 10 or 12 books on the subject, going all the way back to the Eddas from the 13th century.

I am aware of the correct spelling, I am just not adept enough to pull off the two dots above the "O".

JD
Wow...Good for you.
bye the way, you NEED to post some picutres of it when it is all done.

Last edited by The Swede; 11-26-2008 at 10:13 AM.