Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Micarta grips: how to make.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Micarta grips: how to make.

So, I've got a bee in my bonnet. I typically watch the parents house while they're away for thanksgiving..Every year, I plan a DIY project for that week.

This year, I want to make a pair of 1911 micarta thin grips. I'm thinking black and silver/gray linen, but I've never done something quite like this. From my understanding, its just a layer of fiberglass resin, followed by linen, followed by more resin, et cetera, et cetera until you're done with the rough block. Is this correct? Any specific types of fabric or resin I should lean towards? How thick should I make the block/sheet for a pair of thin grips? Once everything is said and done, should I coat it again with a type of varnish, or will the fiberglass provide all the protection I need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pictures as I work on them, but as I hand file/fit, it'll probably be pretty lengthy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #2

Liked 117 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

check out my video. It's about knife scales but you can apply it to your pistol grips. Boat resin from Walmart will work just fine. As for the material, you can use just about anything you want. It will take about 15 - 20 layers to make about 1/4 inch scale. Use a "C" channel lined with plastic it will be much easier.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Last edited by Dan308; 11-12-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

Liked 88 Times on 55 Posts

Or, you could just buy the Micarta and save yourself a lot of trouble and mess.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs
Or, you could just buy the Micarta and save yourself a lot of trouble and mess.
The trouble and mess is what makes projects fun!

And thanks, I'll be sure to refer to that video often!