Media blasting setup
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Media blasting setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts

Default Media blasting setup

So I want to get I to dura coating, hopefully eventually work my way up to doing it semi prpfessionally. So I need some type of blasting setup. I see cabinets within my budget. However do these cabinets include the tools necessary to blast the sand? Can somebody walk me through what I meed?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith91 View Post
So I want to get I to dura coating, hopefully eventually work my way up to doing it semi prpfessionally. So I need some type of blasting setup. I see cabinets within my budget. However do these cabinets include the tools necessary to blast the sand? Can somebody walk me through what I meed?
about the only thing needed other than the cabinet is an air compressor to power it and the media of your choice. one thing about a blast cabinet, even the small ones, is they need a high volume of air. not pressure but volume. make sure that the air fed into it is kept dry. any moisture will cause clogging and poor media delivery.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Most of the blasting media used in these cabinet's is glass beads.
You can also look into soda blasting,it is environmentally safe,and can be done outdoors if you don't want to buy a blasting cabinet. It is a little messy,so check with your local ordinances. Sand blasting is old school today,and most blasting companies use soda anymore.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 394

For duracote or cerakote you will need 100 or 120 grit aluminum oxide blast media. Without a blast cabinet you will lose the blast media and it will get expensive.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #5

Liked 294 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboy View Post
Harbor freight has a good small cabinet that I use for gun parts prior to shooting duracoat. Come to think my spray gun outfit came from there also. Buy extra blast nozzels when you get the cabinet. They are hard to find a year or two down the road.

I use 220 grit alum oxide for mat duracoat. 400 grit followup on parts to be bright. Hope this helps.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 08-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #6

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller

Harbor freight has a good small cabinet that I use for gun parts prior to shooting duracoat. Come to think my spray gun outfit came from there also. Buy extra blast nozzels when you get the cabinet. They are hard to find a year or two down the road.

I use 220 grit alum oxide for mat duracoat. 400 grit followup on parts to be bright. Hope this helps.
It does thank you. Unfortunately both my housing plans and job search have backfired so right now it's just the necessities (food, ammo) until I find a job.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You guys all forgot an extremely important part, A RESPIRATOR..

An absolute must have even when working with a cabinet. You do not want to find out what microscopic bits of walnut shells will do to your lungs, nevermind glass. And aluminum poisoning is terrible, I know from experience, imagine the flu times ten and then as soon as you start to feel better you blow your rectum out for Atleast 12 hours straight. Wouldn't recommend it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #8

Liked 294 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
You guys all forgot an extremely important part, A RESPIRATOR..

An absolute must have even when working with a cabinet. You do not want to find out what microscopic bits of walnut shells will do to your lungs, nevermind glass. And aluminum poisoning is terrible, I know from experience, imagine the flu times ten and then as soon as you start to feel better you blow your rectum out for Atleast 12 hours straight. Wouldn't recommend it.
Complete agreement here.^^^^^^ mine is mounted under an industrial exhaust hood is the reason I didn't think of it at first. PROTECT YOUR LUNGS.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 08-27-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Complete agreement here.^^^^^^ mine is mounted under an exhaust hood is the reason I didn't think of it at first. PROTECT YOUR LUNGS.
Exhaust hood is great to minimize inhaling those microscopic razor blades, but anyone near the operation, especially the operator, should use a respirator to avoid even a few of those particles getting in your body.

I saw an older guy that used to blast for a living and didn't think a mask was necessary. He might as well have smoked three packs of cigs a day and volunteered to test cancer drugs. He was miserable for what little life he had left.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)