Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Making a rilfe stock (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/making-rilfe-stock-51045/)

Jdellors 11-02-2011 02:01 PM

Making a rilfe stock
 
I posted this in the rifle before no clue how to delete it.

I have a Browning .280 with a bulky wood stock. Normal people would just buy a new stock but I'm not normal so i want to try and make one. But I'm in the pre-design part of it trying to collect info and most sources are either contradicting or done make a lick of sense. I just need to figure out what processes should i use to make the stock cost/quality ratio if possible, type of material to use and if there are any pages that i may have missed about this. Thanks in advance.

Chainfire 11-02-2011 08:28 PM

I have been a hobby woodworker for 40 years and I would not attempt to build a stock from scratch. But if you have the time, patience and some skill you should be able to pull it off. Walnut makes a fine stock.

Jdellors 11-03-2011 10:34 PM

I didn't mean a wood stock but a synthetic stock

rferguson61 12-09-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire
I have been a hobby woodworker for 40 years and I would not attempt to build a stock from scratch. But if you have the time, patience and some skill you should be able to pull it off. Walnut makes a fine stock.

Why not? Its not that hard. The hardest part is the inletting. After that its just wood carving 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdellors
I didn't mean a wood stock but a synthetic stock

As for making a synthtic stock...your gonna have a hard time doing that at home for two reasons. First, its not your basic material that you can go to the hardware store and buy; its a composite or resin. Which you might be able to buy online. But heres the bigger hurdle...you have to heat this stuff up to a really high temp and pour it into a mold. So you would have to find a way to have a mold for the stock you want (plaster should work) and then be able to heat all the material to its melting point at the same time. It can be done im sure. Just not as easy as we'd like haha. Good luck.

1stMarine 12-14-2011 02:37 AM

Could carve / mill yourself the design out of wood (to make a positive), then cast a plaster or fiberglass mold (to make the negative. Then you have two options, you could lay the fiberglass (or carbon fiber) by hand (more time consuming but lighter) just make sure you reinforce the buttstock section where it holds the reciever. Or you could put the halves of the mold together and pour a high strength plastic of your choosing into the mold to make it. Once you've done either of these steps simply cut off the rough edges, drill any nessiscary holes, and sand / buff / polish it.

Never Forget.

1stMarine 12-14-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rferguson61
As for making a synthtic stock...your gonna have a hard time doing that at home for two reasons. First, its not your basic material that you can go to the hardware store and buy; its a composite or resin. Which you might be able to buy online. But heres the bigger hurdle...you have to heat this stuff up to a really high temp and pour it into a mold. So you would have to find a way to have a mold for the stock you want (plaster should work) and then be able to heat all the material to its melting point at the same time. It can be done im sure. Just not as easy as we'd like haha. Good luck.

Depending on the material you don't nessiscarily need to that much heat to cure it (sometimes a hair dryer on high will work), depending on the mix there may be none needed at all.

Never Forget.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:15 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.