I wanted a free floating stock for this build but I didn’t want to pay for one. Mainly I just wanted to try and make my own stock. I have never attempted anything like this before but figured I'd give it a shot and see how it works out. The rifle I am using is a basic Remington 700 ADL from academy. I picked it up for about $425 after tax.
I started with one of the nicer 2x6 from Lowes, about $5. Maybe a bad decision but I guess I'll find out when I shoot it.
I traced out the original stock on cardboard and made a design around that. I looked at other stocks and added features that I liked.
I cut out the card board and traced it onto the 2x6. Then I cut out the tracing using a jig saw.
I rounded all the edges out and sanded the entire rifle.
I drilled two holes in the stock and inserted steel threaded rods to add strength. I put one rod through the grip and another vertically through the rear of the stock. I also covered the rods with JB weld before I screwed them in which may have been unnecessary but I figured it would add some extra strength.
I went out and bought a router and hollowed out the stock for the barrel which wasn’t easy.
I then used a drill press and a dremel to hollow out the space for the trigger. I also decided I wanted a detachable box magazine on the rifle so I hollowed out the space for that as well. I picked up a PTG Trigger Guard that uses AICS box magazines.
I wanted an adjustable check well so I got some metal bar, metal spacers, and some set screws from Lowes for about $10. I threaded the inside of the smaller metal spacers for the set screws that will hold the check piece at the desired height. I used a drill press and drilled holes for the larger metal spacers and space for the metal bars. I JB welded both the large metal spacers and the threaded metal spacers into the stock. I drilled shallow holes in the check piece and BJ welded the bars into the check piece.
I did same for the adjustable butt pad.
I used Devcon to bed the receiver and add strength to the wood stock. I removed the trigger assembly from the receiver and filled all the holes with plumbers putty. I also covered the receiver in neutral kiwi shoe polish as a releasing agent. I got pretty good results the first time but there was some gaps and I wanted more contact with the receiver so the next day and added a little more Devcon to some areas. I wiped off the excess that squeezed out of the stock with a paper towel. It worked ok. I found that paint thinner works really well at removing any Devcon that got onto the barrel or receiver. I had to dremel parts of the devcon out to get everything to fit properly especially in the trigger well and for the bolt release. I put a little bit of oil on moving parts and was able to identify where on the bedding the bolt release was rubbing. I dremeled those spots and everything fit great.
The Devcon was also used to add texture and strength to the rifle grip. I sanded the Devcon some after it dried to take off the sharp edges. I wasn’t overly worried with staining the wood as I am going to Duracoat the rifle after its all finished (if the stock doesn’t explode the first time I fire it).
Finished the first two colors.
Added two more colors.
Two more colors to go.