Making rifle stock from a 2x6 (first attempt)
I wanted a free floating stock for this build but I didn’t want to pay for one. Mainly I just wanted to try and make my own stock. I have never attempted anything like this before but figured I'd give it a shot and see how it works out. The rifle I am using is a basic Remington 700 ADL from academy. I picked it up for about $425 after tax.
I started with one of the nicer 2x6 from Lowes, about $5. Maybe a bad decision but I guess I'll find out when I shoot it.
I traced out the original stock on cardboard and made a design around that. I looked at other stocks and added features that I liked.
I cut out the card board and traced it onto the 2x6. Then I cut out the tracing using a jig saw.
I rounded all the edges out and sanded the entire rifle.
I drilled two holes in the stock and inserted steel threaded rods to add strength. I put one rod through the grip and another vertically through the rear of the stock. I also covered the rods with JB weld before I screwed them in which may have been unnecessary but I figured it would add some extra strength.
I went out and bought a router and hollowed out the stock for the barrel which wasn’t easy.
I then used a drill press and a dremel to hollow out the space for the trigger. I also decided I wanted a detachable box magazine on the rifle so I hollowed out the space for that as well. I picked up a PTG Trigger Guard that uses AICS box magazines.
I wanted an adjustable check well so I got some metal bar, metal spacers, and some set screws from Lowes for about $10. I threaded the inside of the smaller metal spacers for the set screws that will hold the check piece at the desired height. I used a drill press and drilled holes for the larger metal spacers and space for the metal bars. I JB welded both the large metal spacers and the threaded metal spacers into the stock. I drilled shallow holes in the check piece and BJ welded the bars into the check piece.
I did same for the adjustable butt pad.
I used Devcon to bed the receiver and add strength to the wood stock. I removed the trigger assembly from the receiver and filled all the holes with plumbers putty. I also covered the receiver in neutral kiwi shoe polish as a releasing agent. I got pretty good results the first time but there was some gaps and I wanted more contact with the receiver so the next day and added a little more Devcon to some areas. I wiped off the excess that squeezed out of the stock with a paper towel. It worked ok. I found that paint thinner works really well at removing any Devcon that got onto the barrel or receiver. I had to dremel parts of the devcon out to get everything to fit properly especially in the trigger well and for the bolt release. I put a little bit of oil on moving parts and was able to identify where on the bedding the bolt release was rubbing. I dremeled those spots and everything fit great.
The Devcon was also used to add texture and strength to the rifle grip. I sanded the Devcon some after it dried to take off the sharp edges. I wasn’t overly worried with staining the wood as I am going to Duracoat the rifle after its all finished (if the stock doesn’t explode the first time I fire it).
Finished the first two colors.
Added two more colors.
Two more colors to go.
Dude I love this!! That looks way better than I thought it would when I read the title. Lol
Good work man this is awesome.
Nice work. Frugal and efficient. Welcome to the forum. This place is great.
Wow, thats very nice, there is a lot of work in that $5 stick! Great job, hope it works well for you, how much fun was your firt attempt at using a router? Those buggers can hurt you bad if your not careful. I would have probably gone with a nice chunk of Red Elm or something a little tougher grained than Pine but it looks like you beefed up the areas of concern, should be OK.
What type of wood?
If it is a "soft" wood (like pine), I would be concerned about cracking or the action moving over time.
Looks like some decent design and workmanship. Like the others have said, my only concern is the wood. Pine tends to warp and crack, and is fairly soft.
Neat project. Even if you ultimately had to scrap that stock it makes a good prototype that would make building another one easier.
It looks like spruce. If it was kiln dried, finished and sealed so it repelled moisture, it shouldn’t split.
The router was interesting. There was a large learning curve. Routing the space for the receiver and the barrel was probably the hardest part of this DIY.
I would have liked to use a nicer piece of wood by pine (or whatever it is they sell at Lowes) was all I could find locally. I also had no idea how this project was going to turn out and didn’t want to waste over $50 on a really nice piece of wood and have it come out horribly.
I also pillar bedded the receiver in the stock so the softer wood shouldn't be an issue. I also used devcon to permanently install the pillars.
The wrist area of the stock will be very weak both due to design and the soft wood(likely fir). You don't mention the caliber. You certainly did alot of work and it is an amazing first attempt. I hope it works out great for you. Good job!!!!!!!!
The rifle is a rem 700 ADL in 308.
I installed a 6-8 inch steel threaded rod, coated in JB weld, through the grip. I also covered the grip in Devcon to both add texture and strength to this weak point.
So far it’s held very well but only time will tell.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.