Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   M72 project (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/m72-project-43440/)

RedSnappa 06-04-2011 04:12 PM

M72 project

I just got an idea for something to do with an M72 LAW tube: convert it into a 66mm shotgun. I plan to call it the SL-66 (Shot Launcher 66mm). Basically, it would be like a shoulder-fired cannon with canister shot. Is there anything special I need to know about construction or legal issues? (I know a Form 1 and DD tax will be needed.)

danf_fl 06-04-2011 08:36 PM

I would look at the BATF website on weapon manufacture first.

c3shooter 06-05-2011 12:07 AM

Welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, stop over by the intro thread and say howdy.

The M72 LAW is, of course, a rocket launcher. Which is why the BLEEPING recoil does not kill the shooter. Rockets are effectively recoiless, otherwise the 66 mm round would have the kick of a modest cannon. .

Couple of issues (beside building a DD) Launcher is intended for a single use, not really a reloadable. Are you planning to use a rocket? If so, how will shot be dispersed, and what do you think velocity of projectiles will be? MV for the 66mm HEAT rocket is 475 fps- which frankly, is pretty low.

However, you might want to take a look at another weapon- the M67 90mm Recoiless Rifle, and the M590 Cannister round for it. Cannister means 2400 light 8 grain steel darts, with a MV of 1250 FPS.

Meanwhile, back to the LAW- if you are planning on using it as a cannon, and not as a rocket launcher-1. The tube is fiberglass, not steel 2. How will you handle pretty significant recoil? 3. If anything happens..............can I have your guns? :p

m72law 06-05-2011 01:53 AM

what c3shooter said ^^^

if you try to do what it sounds like your trying to do with a m72law launcher:o w/out making the shoulder fired mortar:eek:out of steel:confused:could i have,all your ''factory ammo'' when ya fire that thing off?

RedSnappa 06-05-2011 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 517781)
The M72 LAW is, of course, a rocket launcher. Which is why the BLEEPING recoil does not kill the shooter. Rockets are effectively recoiless, otherwise the 66 mm round would have the kick of a modest cannon.

Meanwhile, back to the LAW- if you are planning on using it as a cannon, and not as a rocket launcher-1. The tube is fiberglass, not steel 2. How will you handle pretty significant recoil? 3. If anything happens..............can I have your guns? :p

The recoil doesn't worry me that much. I might put it on some sort of shock-absorbing assembly to lessen it somewhat. I would be more concerned about permanent hearing loss from what is essentially a 4-pounder cannon next to my ear and the need to wear some awesome earplugs and NRR headphones.

I would be VERY concerned about the material being fiberglass. I didn't know this. I still want about this size of barrel but rocket launcher tubing is clearly out of the question now. Issues like this are why I ask around before I build.

m72law 06-05-2011 03:30 AM

half fiberglass half aluminum....sounds more like a drag car:D

why not check into ''home made rockets'' for the m72 launcher?

just think...when you can make a soild rocket fuel in your conventional oven,for a rocket that will have enough thrust to pull a 220lbs man off the ground (only a few feet):D...why spray when you can fly?

m72law 06-05-2011 03:48 AM

oh yeah....BATFE is your friend....

main thing...with your hybird launcher thingie,is to make sure it dont go bang,or BOOM!! when/after fired...unless you get the appropriate DD licenses

c3shooter 06-05-2011 10:42 AM

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Which is why we have not been carrying 66mm shotguns on night defensive perimeters.

TANSTAAFL.

Tackleberry1 06-05-2011 01:22 PM

Call the History Channel. I bet Larry the Cable Guy would love to help document this build...

TACK

RedSnappa 06-06-2011 01:27 AM

OK, I decided on making it a 4-pounder or 1/4 gauge. Slightly larger at about 67.34mm, but this way, if I can't get custom shells for it, I can just use 4-pounder canister shot. I am also renaming it the SL-4 (Shot Launcher, 4-pounder). I might make an SL-4R (Rifled) so I can fire enormous slugs. I can test it remotely and if it is too strong I can always scale down to 3, 2, 1.5 or 1 pounder.