Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   M38 Swedish Mauser. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/m38-swedish-mauser-4413/)

MrRemmy 05-11-2008 08:07 AM

M38 Swedish Mauser.

3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

Thought i'd post some pics of my 6.5x55 M38 swede mauser ive just finished cleaning up. I fitted a nikko stirling 8x32 gold crown scope on it, which i think is a great scope for the money i paid for it. I took it to the range yesterday, and i put 4 shots into 1/2 inch @ 100 yards with it after zeroing it, using M/41 "prikstyette" military ammo. It also performed well over longer distances. I find it is just a really great rifle to shoot, and is overall a fine firearm. Hope you all enjoy ;)

REBEL_GUN_NUT_1922 05-11-2008 09:07 PM

sweet, i think its beautiful

RL357Mag 05-13-2008 02:00 AM

I bought a M-38 about 10 years ago for $169. The armorer's disc on the stock graded it a #1 with a tight bore dimension. All numbers matched and the blueing was 100%. It is made by Husqvarna. Many of these guns are pristine because the Swede's were never in any conflicts where they actually used these guns. I made a mistake I think because I had it sporterized. Barrel turned down, express sights, turned-down bolt, shell carrier ground to allow bolt manipulation with no rounds in magazine, walnut stock w/cheekpiece and rosewood end cap, scope mounts, timney trigger and side mounted safety. It is a tack driver as well, but I destroyed it's value as an antique Military firearm. I kick myself in the ass everytime I see the old stock in my garage, which was beautiful with no scratches or dings! Does yours have the threaded barrel? I still have a beautiful screw-on flash suppressor from mine, but the gunsmith who tapered my barrel down also turned the threads off! I used to have a device that mounted on the muzzle to vaporize wooden practice ammo. It's a very accurate rifle with 140gr. Sierra BTSP Matchking bullets! They use that caliber in the scandinavian countries to kill moose and elk.

MrRemmy 05-13-2008 07:06 AM

Thanks for the comments Rebel gun nut, and RL357Mag, apon mentioning the threaded barrel, i do indeed have another swedish mauser in perfect original condition with the threaded barrel, the one i show in these pictures does not. I read somewhere once that the thread was also used for attatching a blank firing ring? im not sure on that. The rifle pictured here has a #0 bore, and the other one i have is a #1 bore. Even though you modified yours, it still sounds like it turned out to be a beautiful rifle ;)

RL357Mag 05-13-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRemmy (Post 23885)
Thanks for the comments Rebel gun nut, and RL357Mag, apon mentioning the threaded barrel, i do indeed have another swedish mauser in perfect original condition with the threaded barrel, the one i show in these pictures does not. I read somewhere once that the thread was also used for attatching a blank firing ring? im not sure on that. The rifle pictured here has a #0 bore, and the other one i have is a #1 bore. Even though you modified yours, it still sounds like it turned out to be a beautiful rifle ;)

Yes it did MrRemmy, but every time I see the old stock I feel sick! And the device you mentioned was not for blanks but for practice ammo, which had a wooden bullet. The device looked like a flash hider but had no through-hole for a bullet to pass through. When I inquired, he told me about the wooden practice ammo. Apparently the bullets would disintegrate when they hit the front of the device and wood fragments would blow out the slots cut into the side. I guess that's one item you never want to forget to remove before firing real ammo! The dealer I bought my gun from gave it to me with a cleaning rod extension, a flash hider, and an oiler. I lost the cleaning rod and extension, gave the dummy ammo device to a Swedish Mauser collector in Texas, and I still have the flash hider and stock left, to remind me of the mistake I made! I recently saw another Swede Mauser in a gun shop in not as nice condition as mine was, and they were asking $325 for it! It was the longer version, I think it's the M-96 or 36?
They are good shooters and show little wear. My armorer's disc had a bore dimension of 6.51.

The Swede 11-16-2008 09:58 AM

yup the m38 is a great gun and yours looks to be in great shape.:)

Shotguntony 02-26-2009 08:12 PM

M38 Swedish Mauser

I've been looking for a nice one. MrRemmy's is a beaut. What do you suppose it's worth today Aus$ or US$?