M1917 Eddystone Sporter Project - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > M1917 Eddystone Sporter Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The Kick Eeze pads are super cushy if you want to tame recoil.

I prefer a contoured, no drag butt plate to a recoil pad. But if you want a pad, you may want to get some "Slick Eeze". It coats the rubber to allow the pad to slip into place without hanging up on clothing.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I also prefer the Kick Eez pads over the Pachmayr pads, but I wasn't sure how I would do with one of their grind to fit models. I had visions of melting it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #23

I didn't have any luck getting the rear mount to work. The receiver will have to be milled flat for it to work correctly.

I was able to do a little work on the stock this weekend. I've been unhappy with the way it felt while gripping the stock in the thumb area. I also took a little more off the forearm and made it more round.

It feels very nice now. What do you think?

Old 08-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworr View Post
I didn't have any luck getting the rear mount to work. The receiver will have to be milled flat for it to work correctly.

I was able to do a little work on the stock this weekend. I've been unhappy with the way it felt while gripping the stock in the thumb area. I also took a little more off the forearm and made it more round.

It feels very nice now. What do you think?

I LOVE the way that stock looks!! Too bad about the receiver height. The 1917 receivers are extremely hard, and notoriously tough to mill. Use a good 'smith for that job, and one who has worked on 1917s.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #25

Thank you!!

I like that I was able to keep the curves of the stock and give it more character. It's amazing how big of a chunk of wood this stock started off as, but I guess it was needed for the recoil.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Thank you!!

I like that I was able to keep the curves of the stock and give it more character. It's amazing how big of a chunk of wood this stock started off as, but I guess it was needed for the recoil.
I have an old FN Mauser Sporter in 7x57 that has a wrist profile similar to your 1917's. I'll be using in an upcoming thread on "Proper Scope Ring Lapping and Mounting", (probably), so you will be able to see some pics.

But yours looks like it came from the factory like that. Great job.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I really like the way it looks. It's got heft, but is still graceful.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #28

Thank you for the compliments! It feels good to bring new life to this old gun. I can't wait to hunt with it. I think my Grandfather would like what I have done to it. This was a sporter project he started 50+ years ago and never finished.

As for the mount problem, I'll just put the one piece back on till after deer season is over. I can deal with the mount through this season. With two or three months till the opening of gun season, it's to much of a risk to not get it back in time and miss another season of hunting with it.

I'll take another look at the Kickeez recoil pads. I was just curious about the new limbsavers and if they were anygood. I've used the Decelerator and it worked good. It was a Grind-to-fit and it's surprisingly easy to do even if all you have is a bench grinder like me. Just use the sides of the wheels and not the face and be sure to keep it square.

Since I was using a bench grinder I traced the shape onto the pad and went to work with the grinder.

This link shows the proper way to do it....
Gunsmithing - How To Fit A Recoil Pad To A Finished Stock

Thank you,

Todd

Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Thank you for the compliments! It feels good to bring new life to this old gun. I can't wait to hunt with it. I think my Grandfather would like what I have done to it. This was a sporter project he started 50+ years ago and never finished.

As for the mount problem, I'll just put the one piece back on till after deer season is over. I can deal with the mount through this season. With two or three months till the opening of gun season, it's to much of a risk to not get it back in time and miss another season of hunting with it.

I'll take another look at the Kickeez recoil pads. I was just curious about the new limbsavers and if they were anygood. I've used the Decelerator and it worked good. It was a Grind-to-fit and it's surprisingly easy to do even if all you have is a bench grinder like me. Just use the sides of the wheels and not the face and be sure to keep it square.

Since I was using a bench grinder I traced the shape onto the pad and went to work with the grinder.

This link shows the proper way to do it....
Gunsmithing - How To Fit A Recoil Pad To A Finished Stock

Thank you,

Todd
I think your grandfather would be pleased, too. Gun guys are like that.

Rather than mount your one piece base at an angle (possibly damaging screws or holes) you could shim the low base. Old school guys used beer cans cut into pieces. Or you can order a shim kit from Brownells. Either way, consider it a short term fix until you can have the receiver trued.

Keep the pics and updates coming.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI