m16a4 build need help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > m16a4 build need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default m16a4 build need help

I am looking to build an m16a4 clone. It is my first one and I don't know what receivers are good which ones aren't etc.
I have been looking at many different ones. I am also looking for the upper and lower receiver to match in color and want a non glossy tone.
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're covering a lot of ground there with that statement. By M16A4 I presume you mean a semi-automatic AR-15 and not the fully automatic M16 the military uses. The M16's are over $10,000 and require a considerable amount of BATF paperwork to obtain.

Assuming you mean an AR-15, lets start with what is your budget? We also might need to know what is your level of firearms experience and what do you see as the primary use for this new AR (ie; hunting, target shooting, bench competition or just general SHTF)??? Also, do you want to build it completely from parts or just buy a complete halfs for assembly to make a complete weapon?

There are currently over 140 different manufacturers and distributors of AR's in the U.S., some good, some bad and everyone has their idea of which one is best for their needs. Pretty much like how everybody has their own favorite brand of automobile. Much of what you will find is that your AR choice will be budget driven and need driven.

You can always start with Colt and Armalite, then go from there.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #3

Thank you for the answer and yes I mean ar-15 rifle. I plan on building the kit from ground up. The main purpose would be for my military collection and just general shooting fun. I already have a ruger 556 and wanted to add the marine corps clone. I have been doing minor work like stock replacements and complete dissasemble of various rifles since I was twelve or so I am currently 18 so budget is not large

Last edited by deathcall7808; 10-19-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 AM   #4

Buy the upper and lower recievers from the same maker to be sure they match.
If you want to build one, make sure you get a good barrel wrench and action block. They make installing a barrel easy.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcall7808 View Post
Thank you for the answer and yes I mean ar-15 rifle. I plan on building the kit from ground up. The main purpose would be for my military collection and just general shooting fun. I already have a ruger 556 and wanted to add the marine corps clone. I have been doing minor work like stock replacements and complete dissasemble of various rifles since I was twelve or so I am currently 18 so budget is not large
Here is a complete AR Kit that has everything you need sans the stripped lower. The stripped lower can be obtained through a local licensed gun dealer for about $100-150 out the door or from online sources with a transfer fee required through your local gun dealer for slightly less.

2-DPKT-AP4-LL-M - DPMS AP4 Carbine Complete AR-15 Rifle Kit Minus the Lower Receiver

DPMS isn't the best brand ever, but it is a good place to start a first-time build for not a huge sum of money. There are probably other brands that have complete kits like this too. Buying-out all the parts separately is possible for your assembly, but much more involved.

Also plan on spending at least another $200 for the tools needed.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclink View Post
Buy the upper and lower recievers from the same maker to be sure they match.
If you want to build one, make sure you get a good barrel wrench and action block. They make installing a barrel easy.
if the uppers and lowers are mil-spec manufactured, they will work together regardless of maker. many people use different upper and lowers all the time in building AR's. you need more than just a wrench and action block to install a barrel, you need headspace gauges to be able to set the headspace. not having the proper headspace is a good way to end up with a handfull of useless parts and possibly hurt or killed in the process. the best way if not familiar with installing a barrel is to buy a complete upper.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #7

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

AR15 Parts, M16 Parts, Assault Rifles, Tactical Gear M&A Parts, Inc.

your choice of receiver doesnt matter as long as its aluminum

Old 10-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
AR15 Parts, M16 Parts, Assault Rifles, Tactical Gear M&A Parts, Inc.

your choice of receiver doesnt matter as long as its aluminum
Nice site with decent prices Sniper!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if the uppers and lowers are mil-spec manufactured, they will work together regardless of maker. many people use different upper and lowers all the time in building AR's. you need more than just a wrench and action block to install a barrel, you need headspace gauges to be able to set the headspace. not having the proper headspace is a good way to end up with a handfull of useless parts and possibly hurt or killed in the process. the best way if not familiar with installing a barrel is to buy a complete upper.
He says he wants the colors to match. That's why I said to get them from the same maker. Different makers colors are not the same.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclink View Post
He says he wants the colors to match. That's why I said to get them from the same maker. Different makers colors are not the same.
well for what it's worth, if matching the colors, then yes buy an upper and lower from the same maker. but like i said mil-spec means you can mix and match uppers and lowers from different makers. but to put together an upper, you still need to check and set the headspace and this takes headspace gauges and know how on using them. this is not for the first time gun builder.