Looking to build my first..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Looking to build my first..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to build my first..

Hey guys, I'd like to put together an AR and I've never built a gun before. I need a shopping list. I wouldn't even know where to order the parts from. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Do a search of a user's manual. Most of the time they will have a schematic of the firearm and the correct part names.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

are you looking to build your upper ? its really not much cheaper to buy the upper in parts not to mention buying the tools to put it together will probably cost more than a complete .
You will need a complete upper w/ bolt carrier group and charging handle , Stripped lower, lower parts kit , pistol grip unless this comes in the lower parts kit , fore arm grip, stock , buffer kit containing buffer, buffer tube and spring , plate and stock ,
Im sure I forgot something

Old 01-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

Thanks guys!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

Check out model 1 sales or akarkits.com they have complete parts kits. These kits comes with everything except stripped lower receiver and magazine. The uppers are assembled on the kit so all that has to be done is assembling lower receiver and attaching to upper. Ar are an easy build but if you've never had any in-depth dealing with them check out Brownells web site. They have several video tutorials on assembling ars. You can also do an internet search on building ars there are several websites with instructions and how tos. Just be warned it can become very addictive building them. I just finished with number 8... lol

Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

Liked 1788 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkiyote View Post
. . . Ar are an easy build but if you've never had any in-depth dealing with them check out Brownells web site. They have several video tutorials on assembling ars. . . .
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/

Brownells' AR 15 Builder website: http://www.ar15builder.com/