Lever-Frankenstein Suggestions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Lever-Frankenstein Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lever-Frankenstein Suggestions

I picked this up for cheap. Ok free. Yes, free. Best I can figure it was made in 1951. 30-30 Cal. The first two or three inches of the barrel south of the muzzle are well rusted, but the remainder is clean with sharp rifling.

There is very minor surface rust on the barrel and receiver and mag tube, but no pitting. Blueing is all gone. Stock is not terrible, no cracks or gouges. The brown color on the bolt is not rust, it's "gunk", for lack of a better word. It wipes off with solvent.

The action is smoother than you can imagine, the lever is tight (nothing like a Model 94) and the trigger is so light and crisp I can't believe it.

Sooo. This thing is going to undergo a big change but I'm not sure how yet and I need some input. My thoughts were as follows:

Whack the barrel back to 18", have it bead blasted and re-blued, install the below sights, thin out the stock and for-end and feed it heavy for caliber cast bullets as a close range black bear rifle. I am open to suggestions on everything since the barrel will have to be re-drilled and tapped for a front sight, and I have no interest in keeping anything original. I hate to do it because of it's age, but in it's current form it's useless (due to the damage at the muzzle end of the bore).

If I can make something useful out of it and not have it be Pelosi ugly, I will be happy.

100_0742.jpg   100_0743.jpg   100_0744.jpg   hood.jpg   rear.jpg  

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Clean it up and shoot it before you start whacking, it might surprise you.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Go ahead and cut it. I mounted a Williams Guide Receiver Sight on my Marlin with a fiber-optic Fire Sight on the front. The set was $35 from Midway. Check it out, I'm happy with them.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Go ahead and cut it. I mounted a Williams Guide Receiver Sight on my Marlin with a fiber-optic Fire Sight on the front. The set was $35 from Midway. Check it out, I'm happy with them.
I am looking at those pretty close too. The previous owner removed the entire front sight, ramp and all so I figured starting all over and drilling and tapping from scratch would give me more options. I only looked at the banded sight because I think it would be different.

This thing is gonna be a complete mutation so the more suggestions the better, aside from a "tactical" lever action

Sorry Gabriel Suarez....
tacticallever1.jpg  

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I picked up this M94 for cheap. It had the short mag tube, and the last 3-4 inches of barrel were badly blood pitted. Perfect. So I had it chopped at 16" and had a Marbles front sight base installed.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have an old Winchester in 30-30 love the round hate the sights, What I would do is throw some m4/m16 sights on it (not the carrying hand just the picture it's self) I would just cut the barrel down to the point were most of the rust in gone. I would also change the lever but that just me I don't like the curved levers I'm more old school with my repeaters. I would also put a pant on it instead of bluing it, like a tiger strip camo pattern.

I do agree with some of the other people, you should really shoot it first just to see what she can do before you put all that work into it. Old rusty guns can always surprise you.

This is just me

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 03-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Just be on the careful side. BATF would not like it if it was turned into a pistol.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default lever fever

Nice . Although expensive ,You could have it restored by Doug Turnbull .His restorations are amazing ,and his color-case hardning is sharp as hell .This could be a ''heiroom ''passed on down for the next hundred years

Last edited by powg; 03-30-2011 at 04:11 AM. Reason: word missing

Old 03-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would try fire lapping the barrel.

DK

Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well, whatever you decide, keep us in the loop.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams