Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Lever-Frankenstein Suggestions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/lever-frankenstein-suggestions-40330/)

jeepcreep927 03-26-2011 03:51 PM

Lever-Frankenstein Suggestions

5 Attachment(s)
I picked this up for cheap. Ok free. Yes, free. Best I can figure it was made in 1951. 30-30 Cal. The first two or three inches of the barrel south of the muzzle are well rusted, but the remainder is clean with sharp rifling.

There is very minor surface rust on the barrel and receiver and mag tube, but no pitting. Blueing is all gone. Stock is not terrible, no cracks or gouges. The brown color on the bolt is not rust, it's "gunk", for lack of a better word. It wipes off with solvent.

The action is smoother than you can imagine, the lever is tight (nothing like a Model 94) and the trigger is so light and crisp I can't believe it.

Sooo. This thing is going to undergo a big change but I'm not sure how yet and I need some input. My thoughts were as follows:

Whack the barrel back to 18", have it bead blasted and re-blued, install the below sights, thin out the stock and for-end and feed it heavy for caliber cast bullets as a close range black bear rifle. I am open to suggestions on everything since the barrel will have to be re-drilled and tapped for a front sight, and I have no interest in keeping anything original. I hate to do it because of it's age, but in it's current form it's useless (due to the damage at the muzzle end of the bore).

If I can make something useful out of it and not have it be Pelosi ugly, I will be happy.

Hawg 03-26-2011 04:48 PM

Clean it up and shoot it before you start whacking, it might surprise you.

freefall 03-26-2011 06:06 PM

Go ahead and cut it. I mounted a Williams Guide Receiver Sight on my Marlin with a fiber-optic Fire Sight on the front. The set was $35 from Midway. Check it out, I'm happy with them.

jeepcreep927 03-26-2011 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by freefall (Post 473251)
Go ahead and cut it. I mounted a Williams Guide Receiver Sight on my Marlin with a fiber-optic Fire Sight on the front. The set was $35 from Midway. Check it out, I'm happy with them.

I am looking at those pretty close too. The previous owner removed the entire front sight, ramp and all so I figured starting all over and drilling and tapping from scratch would give me more options. I only looked at the banded sight because I think it would be different.

This thing is gonna be a complete mutation so the more suggestions the better, aside from a "tactical" lever action :confused: :confused:

Sorry Gabriel Suarez....

M14sRock 03-27-2011 04:00 AM

I picked up this M94 for cheap. It had the short mag tube, and the last 3-4 inches of barrel were badly blood pitted. Perfect. So I had it chopped at 16" and had a Marbles front sight base installed.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/f...k/DSC02842.jpg

wmille01 03-27-2011 04:37 AM

I have an old Winchester in 30-30 love the round hate the sights, What I would do is throw some m4/m16 sights on it (not the carrying hand just the picture it's self) I would just cut the barrel down to the point were most of the rust in gone. I would also change the lever but that just me I don't like the curved levers I'm more old school with my repeaters. I would also put a pant on it instead of bluing it, like a tiger strip camo pattern.

I do agree with some of the other people, you should really shoot it first just to see what she can do before you put all that work into it. Old rusty guns can always surprise you.

This is just me

danf_fl 03-27-2011 09:50 AM

Just be on the careful side. BATF would not like it if it was turned into a pistol.

powg 03-30-2011 04:10 AM

lever fever

Nice . Although expensive ,You could have it restored by Doug Turnbull .His restorations are amazing ,and his color-case hardning is sharp as hell .This could be a ''heiroom ''passed on down for the next hundred years

Durangokid 03-30-2011 04:28 AM

I would try fire lapping the barrel.

DK

CA357 03-30-2011 06:23 AM

Well, whatever you decide, keep us in the loop. ;)