Leather Knife Sheath Help - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Leather Knife Sheath Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The welt is the piece of leather that fits between the front and back of the sheath, keeps the knife blade from cutting the threads. Barge cement is a heavy duty rubber-cement type product used for leather gluing; soles on shoes, etc. A stitching wheel looks like a tiny spur rowel mounted on a handle with different numbers of teeth for different numbers of stitches per inch. Used to mark where to make holes to stitch through, also to gently run over top of stitching to settle threads down into holes. Anything I forgot? Probably. Are you planning to do a bunch of fancy tooling like that? Good luck.
Oh yeah, I like to seal my knife/pistol, whatever I'm making sheath for in a zip-lock baggy with the air pressed out, soak the leather til pliable, form it around the weapon, and let it dry. I've been told you can soak it in alcohol, it dries faster and no worries about rust, but who wants to smell it?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:52 AM   #22

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!!!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:21 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm not going to tool or decorate it in any way. That antler handle is all the fancy it needs.

I planned on wetting down and compressing the sheath to conform to the blade.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #24

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 46

CA, I made one for a friend of mine out of a discarded pair of fancy western boots, It looked good enough that he had me make a holster for his Police Positive Colt revolver. I glued camo fleece on the inside to aleviate holster wear. He wears it on the left side with the grip forward.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That sounds like a heck of an idea. I've thought about making it crossdraw, but I think it's going to be a vertical drop as a compromise.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #26

Default Knife Sheath build

CA357; Sir; I'm bumping this one. I haven't forgotten

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The leather is on its way.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You should have it today.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
You should have it today.
Yippee!

Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Find a leather or shoe repair shop and get a small can of Barge Cement to glue things together before you sew. Don't bother to thank me, just remember me in your will.