just wanted to send it up the flag pole... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > just wanted to send it up the flag pole...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by progun3400 View Post
Done by hand, Looks pretty darn good Gunfan--actic. Looks like a nice little shop you have going there.
Yes, the SKS barrels have "steps" from the muzzle to the receiver, and increase in diameter with each "step" I sawed my barrel to be 16" with the sight block(which I shortened and tacked to the brake), squared the cut, used Brownells 79 degree muzzle crown cutter and 30cal. pilot to cut the 11 degree target crown, but couldnt get the sight/bake on the barrel due to it being .026 to fat. After calculating the length that needed turned down I chucked it in my padded vise jaws, and began cutting sandpaper into strips the proper width. Going from coase to fine, I sanded the barrel in circular motions, checking for round with dial calipers frequently, until I could just get the sight/brake started. I then sanded the barrel for another 20 minutes, oiled it, indexed the sight and tapped it on using a brass mallet. I double checked the sight position, tapped it a bit more to make sure it was straight, and it was on there. The total time to sand off the .026 was 3.5 hours nonstop, but worth every second. I got lucky with the bolt on tri-rail, I didn't measure for that, but it fit right in place, lucky me.
I also modified the bolt so the 20rd TAPCO mags would lock with the bolt closed, or open, did a trigger job to remove that gritty "creep" the SKS trigger is famous for.
This is a SKS stock I bought from a guy on ebay, it was unfinished, had to be inletted, the receiver cross pin hole drilled, cut to length, and I sanded it to 1000 grit, stained it, then put 8 coats of polyurethane on it.
im003636.jpg  

"Designated Marksman"-The guy that hunts down the enemy and shoots him in the head.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfan--actic View Post
I sawed my barrel to be 16" with the sight block(which I shortened and tacked to the brake), squared the cut, used Brownells 79 degree muzzle crown cutter and 30cal. pilot to cut the 11 degree target crown, but couldnt get the sight/bake on the barrel due to it being .026 to fat.
Ahh, I noticed what I thought to be the crown cutter by a wooden box on the bench. Nice work. It's too bad you weren't closer, It's kinda nice to have access to machining tools.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #23

Default Ain"t nothin to it, except to do it!!!

Very nice detail on the stock, love the movement and contrast in the grain, just like the credit card add.... PRICELESS Well done and thanks for the info and photos

Old 10-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #24

Where did you buy your Mauser action, or where would be a good place to get one. I would prefer the large ring, but would settle for a small ring if a large ring cant be found. I'll just have to chamber it in something lie .243 with lower pressure. Thanks for ny help

"Designated Marksman"-The guy that hunts down the enemy and shoots him in the head.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #25

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfan--actic View Post
Here is the SKS with the 16'' barrel that I turned the last 1.25" by .025" by hand to get the front sight/brake on. And the Mosin Nagant I reworked
I see someone else who is a fan of Kokopelli accurizing kits. Props.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #26

I got the accurizing kit as a sample for a product review. Used it on this build and never again. I found the scope tubes to be straight enough to suit me, and lapping rings made a mess and removed material that was made to grip the tube.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #27

Default Mauser Action

I picked up the CZ at Big Five Sporting Goods, it was on sale for $99.00 and I had received a $25.00 gift cert just the week before. The rails were showing no ware, but the wood was trashed, the bore was junk also a lot of pitting, seems that it was not fired a whole bunch but who ever had it did not take care of the bore. I donated the stock and metal to a gun smith I know with the understanding that he was to make no profit on the items and he agreed. Just trying to find it a good home so to speak.
The gun shows out by me have a few vendors that just sell and trade in Mauser and they always have actions for sale, anywhere from $125-$ 250 so I got a real good deal on mine.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #28

Default Target pix

I mentioned that I finely, after months of not shooting, went to the range a bit ago and here is the target I shot. I had a hard time trying to figure out the scope turrets, REALLY, some kind of seizure I suppose, (up does not mean up, right does not mean right,) so after a little walk, I zeroed it out and you can see the vertical string, But try as as I may the scope's MOA would not allow me to split the X. I was having a time of it shooting and trying to spot and sometimes it was difficult to see my hits.

200-yrd-target-308.jpg