just wanted to send it up the flag pole... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > just wanted to send it up the flag pole...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50of4064 View Post
Finely went shooting last month and was pleased. My 308/Mauser action still shoots .50" holes @ 100 yrds and my best @ 200 yrds was just under 3/4" with an average of under 1.0 ". We had about a 3-5 mph wind with gusts up to about 8 mph crossing from our 10 to our 4 position. Mostly the spread was in the vertical and I am told it was my breathing, so I have need for more time at the range.
Outstanding groups, 50. Where ya been?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Most excellent shooting and that is still an awfully pretty rifle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50of4064 View Post
Finely went shooting last month and was pleased. My 308/Mauser action still shoots .50" holes @ 100 yrds and my best @ 200 yrds was just under 3/4" with an average of under 1.0 ". We had about a 3-5 mph wind with gusts up to about 8 mph crossing from our 10 to our 4 position. Mostly the spread was in the vertical and I am told it was my breathing, so I have need for more time at the range.
Wow!! Thanks for the report, what a sweet shooter!! Excellant windage read BTW!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #14

That is an absolutely awesome rifle you have built!! The cost is irrelavant, that is something that you built, something you have put "you" into, and there is nothing like the pride and feeling of accomplishment gained from building your own one of a kind rifle. I have been messing with mil-surplus rifles for a few years, changed a Mosin Nagant into a nice target/hunting rifle by cutting the front sight block off, squaring the muzzle then cutting an 11 degree target crown with the Brownells cutter/pilot, removed the rear sight and filled the pin holes in the barrel with peices of the pins cut and fitted to the barrels contour, tack welding them in, then finishing the welds with files, sand paper, and buffing them leaving no sign they were ever there. I drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope mount after squaring the mount with the "block" on the bottom of the receiver to index the screw holes. I then installed an adjustable trigger, sawed off the factory bolt handle, and replaced it with new handle by drilling and tapping a hole in the stub, and bolting on the new handle. I then finished the bolt to a high sheen by polishing it on a buffing wheel. The barreled receiver was then sanded to remove all the dings and machining marks, and I applied a flat black Duracoact finish to it before putting it in an ATI synthetic monte carlo style stock. It turned out remarkably well for my first build of that nature, and I was able to sell the rifle for $550.00, which I used to buy the AK-47 I have always wanted and am currently building to suit me. I have a chance to buy a Mauser rifle for $250.00, and have been wanting to get an action to build a custom, accurate, unique rifle on. Your photos and postings of your rifle are motivating, and I am seriously considering buying the rifle for it's action. Thanks for sharing your custom build, it looks great and you should build another. Or 2. Good work!

"Designated Marksman"-The guy that hunts down the enemy and shoots him in the head.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #15

Default I have a heck of a time posting photos!

I would love to see yours, POSTEM !!!!!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #16

Very Nice Indeed!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #17

Here is the SKS with the 16'' barrel that I turned the last 1.25" by .025" by hand to get the front sight/brake on. And the Mosin Nagant I reworked

im002536_edited.jpg   9130_update_020.jpg   ati-monte-carlo-mossy-oak.jpg   ati-mosin-nagant-mossy-oak.jpg   mosinbolt.jpg  

"Designated Marksman"-The guy that hunts down the enemy and shoots him in the head.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #18

Done by hand, Looks pretty darn good Gunfan--actic. Looks like a nice little shop you have going there.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #19

Default Very nice!!!

Thank you for sharing! It is awesome, Did you camo the stock your self? WELL DONE!!!!!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #20

No, thats a camo ATI stock, but I did the olive drab Duracoat spray on finish to the Nagant, and the matte black/od to the SKS. The SKS was built using alot of Leapers parts, and they featured it on thier web site as a parts demo gun back when they were still doing that. I bought the 91-30 as a C&R, and had the luck of examining the bore before the purchase. The lands and grooves were in great shape so I took it home and stripped it to the barrel receiver and began the work. I am going to contact a gun buddie in a bit to see if he has a large ring Mauser action, or knows where I can get one, I am ready to build one. I will let you know if I locate one.