Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > just wanted to send it up the flag pole...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default just wanted to send it up the flag pole...

This is my first, Mauser conversion : .308, Adams & Bennet medium barrel, Timneys trigger, satin chrome finish with a 9x24 BSA contender.

It shoots better than I ever will: bench rested, three round groups, just over 1/2" @ 100 yrds.

I need to give Mr. Wood's a thank you for all the guidance and expertise that made this possible, I am forever indebted for his help.
I want to encourage everyone that ever wanted to try something like this to search out those that have the knowledge base you feel you lack, read all you can on the subject and ask for assistance. The people I have met in the shooting community are the best! I have never had such a fun time learning from these fine individuals.
If I could do this just think of what you can do! I hope that this will encourage you to try your hand at it!!!!

Cant wait to see your next project, " Ain't nothing to it, except to do it "

thanks for you time

img_0014.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

that is a beautiful rifle.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very nice indeed!! And 1/2" @ 100yds isn't bad, it is good shooting! Now go see what you can do at 200yds.!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is a beautiful rifle...wow.

I want to be a ball turret gunner.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations on your build, it seems like you did it right.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

That looks great!

I have several VZ24's and Turk 98's with good actions, but no bore left. I have been thinking about doing one like yours in .308Win and another in .260Rem.

I hate Sporterizing original rifles, but they will never be anything but wall hanging decoration again anyway.

Did you get your barrel from Midway? I've seen their A&B sales in the past, but did not know they were that capable.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 AM   #7

My FFl helped procured the barrel and I don't recall from where it came, This project was an attempt to try something that was 100 % outside of my comfort zone with firearms. If it was not for Mr Wood who walk me through it, and help me every step of the way it would not be a reality.
I have met many like Mr. Wood on this site and among the shooting community. I want to thank them all.
This was my 1st attempt at a build up, and I feel it turned out well to say the least.

Now this was about 5 yrs back, so adjust for inflation,
A&B barrel: 120
Timney's trigger with safety : 35-40
spin the barrell & head space: 120
drill and tap : 45
cut and weld handle : 45
weld and mill the base lock screw holes : 25
satin chrome finish:120
initial rifle investment :75

sub total was around 590

add the stock (40 ) and the glass bedding material (15 ), scope and rings and base (80,12.50, 7, ) upit to around 750.
Some scoffed and said I could have purchased a better rifle for the money, But what an education, and the insight into people, good honest people. Priceless

well thanks for asking and sorry for the ramble

" Ain't nothing to it except to do it."

Dennis

Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

A new rifle for that price is doable, but a BETTER rifle? No. Pretty hard to beat a nice Mauser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50of4064 View Post
My FFl helped procured the barrel and I don't recall from where it came, This project was an attempt to try something that was 100 % outside of my comfort zone with firearms. If it was not for Mr Wood who walk me through it, and help me every step of the way it would not be a reality.
I have met many like Mr. Wood on this site and among the shooting community. I want to thank them all.
This was my 1st attempt at a build up, and I feel it turned out well to say the least.

Now this was about 5 yrs back, so adjust for inflation,
A&B barrel: 120
Timney's trigger with safety : 35-40
spin the barrell & head space: 120
drill and tap : 45
cut and weld handle : 45
weld and mill the base lock screw holes : 25
satin chrome finish:120
initial rifle investment :75

sub total was around 590

add the stock (40 ) and the glass bedding material (15 ), scope and rings and base (80,12.50, 7, ) upit to around 750.
Some scoffed and said I could have purchased a better rifle for the money, But what an education, and the insight into people, good honest people. Priceless

well thanks for asking and sorry for the ramble

" Ain't nothing to it except to do it."

Dennis

Old 10-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #9

Default 200 yrd range report, AT LAST

Finely went shooting last month and was pleased. My 308/Mauser action still shoots .50" holes @ 100 yrds and my best @ 200 yrds was just under 3/4" with an average of under 1.0 ". We had about a 3-5 mph wind with gusts up to about 8 mph crossing from our 10 to our 4 position. Mostly the spread was in the vertical and I am told it was my breathing, so I have need for more time at the range.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is some OUTSTANDING shooting from any rifle. You can't buy that kind of accuracy for $590 and the satisfaction of doing it yourself and the strength of the mauser action are two big pluses.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer