The Journey Begins - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > The Journey Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 03:11 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
To be honest bro, from $150 to $170 per lower, it's going to be a bit of an over priced crap shoot if you are going to do a build from scratch. I personally feel all those lowers, being stripped, are over priced, but I don't know the prices in Kalifornia....

The CMMG for $150 would be my first choice, just because of the price being the lowest on the page, and the receiver will take small pin parts kits, but it looks like it's out of stock.

A lower is a lower is a lower, so if you plan on building on a budget, get any one that you can afford.

If you want the "best" on the page, since I don't know anything about the "Spike's" Series, would say the RRA, only because of the name for resale value and their warranty on craftsmanship.

JD
Sweet, thanks, it was a toss up between the RRA and the CMMG. Spike's seems like prettied up mall ninja stuff to me. Since I don't plan on taking on Al Queda, I'm not really interested in that sort of stuff. If he did a Zomie Hunter lower, I might gave to buy it though.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #42

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3483 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Oh, A Zombie Edition would be awesome. I would have to consider buying one of those... LOL

Well Crap Matt - I thought I had my mind made up and was heading towards the Creedmoor - but after a long lunch today, it looks like the 6.5 Grendel will be the way I am going.

Damn it. I did too much friggin reading and comparing and trusting other people on forums I don't know... LOL Damn Internetz.... *shaking fist*

So, I sat down today with Brett and discussed all the pros and cons, because I am getting ready to order my BCG and possibly my barrel - turns out after a lot of back and forth, the Grendel makes more sense 6 ways from Sunday. When the rubber finally hits the road, the Grendel is better off for me, and my purposes, then the Creedmoor would have been....

Well, at least I am not out the price of anything yet... LOL

JD

Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Any recent progress? This long hitch at work will give me the funds to pick up the 2 lowers and all of the goodies to put on them.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #44

Yeah - I have been too friggin lazy to post the recent pics. Got the rest of my lower together and am just waiting to do the barrel order, which is going to be about $400 from Krieger.

I'll get some pics up in the next day or so.

Glad to have you back brother.

2 builds? I look forward to this project.

JD

Old 09-15-2008, 04:25 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah - I have been too friggin lazy to post the recent pics. Got the rest of my lower together and am just waiting to do the barrel order, which is going to be about $400 from Krieger.

I'll get some pics up in the next day or so.

Glad to have you back brother.

2 builds? I look forward to this project.

JD
I expected the bill from Krieger to be 3 or 4 times that amount.

They'll both probably end up as M4geries with inexpensive red dot scopes and fold down BUISes. Nothing fancy really, just something for the wife and kids to learn on.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #46

Quote:
I expected the bill from Krieger to be 3 or 4 times that amount.
Nah, shouldn't be that bad. Their "varmint" edition AR barrels run about $360, then chambering is about $100. We get a very minimal price break through the shop because of the volume we order, so I am expecting it to come in around $450 or so. It will probably be $600 all told when I add on the necessary gas block & system.

That will be the major expense on the weapon, but I knew that going in. I have been doing the budget shopping and price checking on all my parts orders. Got the new DPMS bolthead in 7.62 x 39mm for a good price and saved myself some money on the stock by going with the standard A2 variant ( $70 as opposed to over $200 for the Magpul PRS ). Trying to keep the overall cost down, but still build a tack driver and see where the cost comes in at.

One of the guys here found a site from Del-Ton, can't remember what thread, but they sell a complete kit, minus a stripped lower receiver, that you can spec out, piece by piece. It's pretty cost effective. I will see if I can find it again and link it for you. Might be something to consider if you want to do one stop shopping. Since you aren't looking for super duper competition accuracy, there is nothing wrong with the packages they were offering and actually had some good prices on some of their upgrades.

JD

EDIT: Here's that link Matt: Del Ton Kits

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-15-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Found the link

Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #47

Okay, so I have been a bit lazy lately in updating the build process. Over the past couple of weeks, like 4, I have been ordering small parts, a little at a time, in keeping with the plan of not carrying any debt on the credit cards over the build process.

Here is an example of parts day.

I decided to go with the standard A2 stock based simply on price. The magpul PRS that I wanted wasn't going to be long enough for my needed trigger pull anyways, so I decided to get the A2 and add an extension of a recoil pad. That will follow shortly once the upper build has been completed.

Here's a view of the complete lower to date. Also my completed new bolt. I have my standard .223 Bolt for size comparison.

I decided to go with an oversized mag release button. I like the options this offers as you can find the mag release no matter what condition, or situation, you find yourself in. Here’s a top view showing the large button mag release.

Here’s a comparison of the bolt heads themselves. On the left is the new 7.62 x 39mm bolt head that is needed for the 6.5 Grendel cartridge. On the right is my standard 5.56/.223 bolt head for my stock AR. One thing you can't see is that I ponied up the extra $20 and got the Titanium Firing Pin for this bill as opposed to the standard Al. As this is being built to be a tack driver, the quicker lock time will help get rounds on target with less operator error.

So, thus far I have just about everything I need except the Krieger barrel, which will be the next purchase. I have called Krieger and they have a production run coming up, so if I can get the funds together, I am hoping to catch the tail end of that run and not have the standard 10 to 12 week wait period.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-16-2008 at 12:42 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Aren't the titanium pins prone to slam fire and pin bounce?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Aren't the titanium pins prone to slam fire and pin bounce?
Never once had an issue. We run them all the time in some of the more hardcore field guns. You do have to pin them in a wee bit differently, but I have never seen it. I have read that, online, but I have never personally see it....

I'll let you know.

JD

Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

2 weeks and no update, what gives?