The Journey Begins - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

The Journey Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I definitely checked them out. By now I think I have seen everything out there and might end up making my own... LOL

I like the modular abilities of the vltor stuff, I also hate the modular abilities of the vltor stuff... LOL

With the snap on, snap off pieces, it's a great product for CQB style, close quarters / field weapons. But, with the same pieces, it's just another thing that isn't "solid" on the buttstock for a precision piece like I am hoping to turn out. That is one of the big reasons why I am not going with a collapsible that could easily reach past the 14.5" I need.

I don't want anything but the most solid platform to get behind. I know that the split receiver is not going to be as accurate as a more solid platform, like a boltgun, so I want to make sure all the pieces I get can come together nicely to allow for the best accuracy possible.

I have been scouring the internet trying to find someone who could turn out a good, solid piece - but honestly I might have to make my own, or suck it up and put a standard, but adjustable, A2 buttstock on. Not really what I want to do, but it's looking like a more affordable option....

JD
So a custom, one off, McMillan built, Anschutz style stock is out of the question, huh?

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #32

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Not out of the question, just out of the realm of "affordable" for this project.

I actually went so far as to get in touch with Dave Lauck, from D & L Sports. They make this ridiculiously expensive buttstock, but it's pretty sweet. So I thought, well, I could justify it to myself if they have the right pull length. Theirs' is 13.5" only on the "rifle" version. But, they invited me to purchase their $325, plus shipping, buttstock and buy some spacers for it... WTF!?

Honestly, If I don't go with the skeleton version from YHM, I am going to end up with the basic A2 design. Nothing else is long enough, or it looks like some weird assed sci-fi channel original....

JD

Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What makes length of pull so crucial? I understand what it is, just not why it's critical in bench guns.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #34

Leads to consistancy between shots. More consistant you are taking the same spot weld, the same position, the same trigger pull, the better you are going to shoot. If your stock is too short for you, to align different each time, so you don't get the best overall "base" for sending rounds down range.

Is one inch going to make that big of a difference? No.

Why am I bothering with it? Because I will know it's not right, and I will know I could have done better on the build....

JD

Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here are two options:

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_88_90&pr oducts_id=193
This one offers an adjustable LOP with a maximum of 14.3", but the .30" pad can be replaced with a .80" pad that would put you exactly where you want to be. It also has an adjustable cheek piece.

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_72&produ cts_id=187
This one offers an adjustable LOP with a maximum of 14.2" and adds a 1.4" by adding an optional pad. It offers swappable cheek pieces, but you only have 2 choices of size.

I think the downside of each would be price. They both retail for about $250.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #36

You are spot on there brother. I have been looking at both of those, pretty much extensively, for over 6 weeks now... LOL

The first one you linked, the PRS, is the one I have been seriously considering. Brownell's has it for $210 for members, which is better than the $250 - but I still have to get the extra .80 pad.

You got good taste there Matt - Those are the two that I have really been trying to compare everything too...

JD

Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I was here: http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/ looking at "off the books" receivers when I stumbled across those. After checking them out, I thought I should pass them on to you in case you weren't aware of them.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #38

PM Sent....

Thanks for the link. I had not heard of them, but I will add them to my growing list of places for AR parts. That folder has to be 20 or 30 sites deep by now... LOL

JD

Old 08-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
PM Sent....

Thanks for the link. I had not heard of them, but I will add them to my growing list of places for AR parts. That folder has to be 20 or 30 sites deep by now... LOL

JD
The fun part about them is that they're out of Cali. They work really hard to get ARs into the hands of Californians and keep them there. Aside from the SIG stripped lower, which of those would you recommend?

Old 08-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #40

To be honest bro, from $150 to $170 per lower, it's going to be a bit of an over priced crap shoot if you are going to do a build from scratch. I personally feel all those lowers, being stripped, are over priced, but I don't know the prices in Kalifornia....

The CMMG for $150 would be my first choice, just because of the price being the lowest on the page, and the receiver will take small pin parts kits, but it looks like it's out of stock.

A lower is a lower is a lower, so if you plan on building on a budget, get any one that you can afford.

If you want the "best" on the page, since I don't know anything about the "Spike's" Series, would say the RRA, only because of the name for resale value and their warranty on craftsmanship.

JD