Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > The Journey Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for posting! Please keep us updated!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I did a little reading on 6.5 Creedmoor. Sounds like an interesting route to take it. It would probably be a nice challenge to build an AR that was capable of accurately shooting out past the 1000m mark. I'd imagine that you'd need to drop some serious cash on a barrel though.

Can you even hand fit an AR bolt and breech?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I did a little reading on 6.5 Creedmoor. Sounds like an interesting route to take it. It would probably be a nice challenge to build an AR that was capable of accurately shooting out past the 1000m mark. I'd imagine that you'd need to drop some serious cash on a barrel though.

Can you even hand fit an AR bolt and breech?
Well, I don't hold illusions about 1000m. I know that you and I see this as, realistically, a F**K of a long ways out there, especially with an autoloader, a split receiver and a couple of other factors working against me.

The cartridge will reach it, but I am more interested in some serious knockdown power in the 500-600 yard range, with the ability to provide quick follow up shots.

For 1,000 ( and over ) - I have Mjolnir being rolled up, if Brett ever gets around to it... LOL 7mm Mag on a Lawton Custom, Krieger Barrel and a Lone Wolf custom stock. That Baby will flat dial in and rain some lead on you.

As for the bolt - luckily someone has already broke the mold on that one, so there is a couple of platforms out there. Might take a little finagling, but I am not doing this all by myself, I have a real technician/mad scientist behind me, so I am willing to bet on it being successful.

My goal is to do the thing piece meal, show the steps we took, and the costs, then show what I got for the cash outlay with a couple of real range targets at 600 yards once we are all done.

After doing some extensive research, and consulting with my 'smith, I got him thinking about adding a 6.5 Creedmoor upper to his platform as well, so now I KNOW I am on to something... LOL

Will post more soon. I am planning on ordering up the handgrip this weekend.

JD

Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, I don't hold illusions about 1000m. I know that you and I see this as, realistically, a F**K of a long ways out there, especially with an autoloader, a split receiver and a couple of other factors working against me.

The cartridge will reach it, but I am more interested in some serious knockdown power in the 500-600 yard range, with the ability to provide quick follow up shots.

For 1,000 ( and over ) - I have Mjolnir being rolled up, if Brett ever gets around to it... LOL 7mm Mag on a Lawton Custom, Krieger Barrel and a Lone Wolf custom stock. That Baby will flat dial in and rain some lead on you.

As for the bolt - luckily someone has already broke the mold on that one, so there is a couple of platforms out there. Might take a little finagling, but I am not doing this all by myself, I have a real technician/mad scientist behind me, so I am willing to bet on it being successful.

My goal is to do the thing piece meal, show the steps we took, and the costs, then show what I got for the cash outlay with a couple of real range targets at 600 yards once we are all done.

After doing some extensive research, and consulting with my 'smith, I got him thinking about adding a 6.5 Creedmoor upper to his platform as well, so now I KNOW I am on to something... LOL

Will post more soon. I am planning on ordering up the handgrip this weekend.

JD
At those distances, I'd imagine that .308 Win would be your best bet. That's where it really tends to shine. 6.5 Creedmoor seems better suited for longer shots. I don't know if you'd get optimum terminal ballistics in that range without some serious hand loading work. M80 7.62x51 is cheap and plentiful though and .308 Win is available at every general store in BFE .

6.5 Grendel would be another good choice for that range, but ammo is scarce in the 'real world'.

What are your opinions on the Hogue grips? I'm a big fan of their stuff, but I've never handled a Hogue equipped AR. For $15, if they suck, you can always scrap them. They're made from the same sticky rubber as the Combat grips that I've got on my Kimber though. It works really well when wet or cold. USGI grips tend to fail in that department though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 07-10-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #15

We really discussed the 6.5 Grendel, and I was really leaning that way, but after some ballistic comparisons, it came down to the 6.5 Creedmoor by more than a nose to be honest. I guess the Grendel cartridge has a large primer, where the Creedmoor has a small primer. One of the differences is that the pressure builds SLIGHTLY slower with the smaller primer, so you get a more even ignition. In any event, the Creedmoor has some great ballistics and the guru's from benchrest land have already done ALL the work for me, where Grendel is brand new and there is only one brand ( Hornady I think ) that is making factory ammo to start with....

I have a .308 boltgun, but I shoot Federal Gold Medal Match in it. I have a chamber that has been cut, specifically, for FGMM. If I make an AR-10, I have to buy another type of .308 ammo and I don't want another .308 to be honest. I have satiated "that" need right now.

The Creedmoor will force me to get more into reloading, which is something I suck at to be honest. I want the drive to try and expand in that department. I kind of need that next level as something to aspire for, so the Creedmoor is making more and more sense to me all around.

And there is always room to make a .308 upper in the future and add it to either one of my lowers.

I actually like the Hogue grip for the AR. The problem is, they don't make a good "S/S" stock that matches colors and textures. Right now the MagPul version is about the best "S/S" stock I can find, and it's greens and blacks are just a bit different. Not a big deal, I know, but I kind of like to aim for uniformity if I can.

In addition, the magpul grip offers the ability to house a complete bolt & head in the handle. With it, I can carry one upper, backpack another, should the need arise, switch to say a .223 CQB, pull the back up bolt & head from the grip and be good to go in a matter of minutes. Got to think field practicality and this makes good sense.

But, we put the Hogue's on a lot of AR's and they feel good. They have a bit of a palm swell to them, so if you have small palms, or small fingers, you might not like them, but if you are already running on your pistols already, I would say give them a try. They feel really good to me.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-10-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

.450 Bushy? It seems to fit the same notch as the 6.8 Rem, so it doesn't give you the distance that you're looking for, but it might be an interesting idea for an extra upper.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=543

Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 07-12-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #17

HOLY COW! 250gr. traveling at over 2,000fps?! That's got to hit like a run away truck... LOL

Hadn't seen that before. Neat idea Matt, thanks for the info...

JD

Old 07-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
HOLY COW! 250gr. traveling at over 2,000fps?! That's got to hit like a run away truck... LOL

JD
That's what I said when I first saw them.

Roger Waters

Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #19

Default Brownell's Shipment Friday!

So, today was the magic brown truck showing up from Brownell's. Brownell's Friday is one of my favorite days of the month because that means I have Friday night and all weekend to play with my new toys.

As those following the build know, I am doing this AR build completely piece meal. I am only ordering what I can afford to pay off immediately upon receipt of the order, so this week here is what I got.

MIAD Full Grip Set for AR-15:...... $34.95
MIAD Bolt & Firing Pin Grip Core:. $ 8.65
AR-15 Star Safety Selector:......... $ 9.00
AR-15 Oversized Selector:........... $14.95
AR-15 Spring Kit:....................... $ 9.00
AR-15 Pin Kit:............................ $12.00
AR-15 Takedown Detent:............ $ 1.76
AR-15 Takedown Spring:............ $ 2.55

I won't need all these parts, and I ordered two different Fire Control Selectors because I wanted to try them both out on the gun to see which one I liked the best.

I ordered the MIAD by MagPul, because it can be custom fit to any shooters hand. I really like the fit and feel of the final configuration that I ended up installing. The basic MIAD comes with a strange core system that allows you to hold three additional rounds and an extra firing pin. The three rounds are a military S.O.S. in a Search & Rescue operation, but beyond that, I don't see much use for them. Perhaps to use two to try and get more ammo, or another gun, and the last one on yourself if not. *shrug* In any event, I elected to get the optional core system that holds a complete new bolt assembly. Since I plan on having a couple of uppers on this platform, I can now make the changes in the field since I will have both bolts, and bolt heads, contained in the gun at all times. Very slick idea from the folks at MagPul.

I won't kid you, the MagPul is NOT a direct drop in. I had to spend about 20 minutes with an Exacto knife scraping away some finer points on the inside of the grip to lower receiver contact points to get a good fit. It wasn't hard, but it was more work that I expected to have to do. This shouldn't be a problem for anyone willing to undertake putting their own lower together though, it was basic "scrape to fit" work.

One thing I did find out about the MagPul MIAD grip. The son of a bitch who did the final cost evaluation packaging sign off has never assembled one! He didn't do you any favors guys. He sent you a slotted head screw to lock the handle to the lower receiver. Do you have ANY idea how much of a pain in the @ss it is to align a slotted screw into a recessed hole and tighten it down? I will be changing that out with a hex-head model this weekend and I would suggest everyone plan on doing the same.

Here you can see the finished & installed MIAD to the Olympic Arms Lower this project is being built on. I used one detent and one spring from the DPMS misc parts kits that I ordered. I would have thought I would have been given a spring and detent with the grip kit, but I knew from previous experience in the shop that this is not the case. Make a note of that if you are going to order one for a stripper lower receiver. MagPul assumes that you are using their system to replace an existing grip system that already is in place.

I ended up liking the STAR Fire Control Selector much better than the Oversized model, so I will be sending that model back. The STAR model seemed to have a much more comfortable thumb placement and movement from Fire to Safe for my thumb. That is not saying you won't like the Oversized model, it just seemed really large on the side of my unit and I elected to go with the STAR model.

So far, the cost on the build is as follows:

Olympic Arms Upper & Lower:---:$200
YHM EZ Pull Pin Set:-------------:$ 21
MIAD Grip Set:-------------------:$ 35
MIAD Core Upgrade:-------------:$ 9
STAR F.C.S.:---------------------:$ 9
*Misc Pin & Spring:--------------:$ 4
Running Total:-------------------:$278

* - I estimated what the lone detent & spring would have cost at $2/ea. should you have to order them separate. If you buy a kit, you will get an overall better price per part needed.

I have plans on ordering my trigger and fore end in the next couple of weeks, so the adventure continues....

Hope you have enjoyed the build thus far.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-26-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:25 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Okay, so what size bolt did you go with?

Roger Waters