The Journey Begins
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > The Journey Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default The Journey Begins

So, I came across a deal too good to pass up & decided to take my own advice. Here it is -

This is my new matching, forged, Olympic Arms Upper & Lower. Unbelievable price, considering even finding stripped parts is getting harder and harder with the election looming.

So, the journey to build this into a tack driver starts here. I am going to try and keep a running record of the parts I buy, because I am doing this one piece meal, and will post as I go along for all to see.

I have not decided on a caliber yet - WHAT? Yes, I know. But, I have a couple of ideas, and Brett ( my 'Smith ) has a couple of tricks up his sleeve, so we might be doing something a little fancy with this one.

My goal is, with quality ammo and some good optics, to build a weapon that will consistantly hit with accuracy and power out to 500 or 600 yards - not an easy feat, but not impossible either. After all, if those Zombies start coming around, I don't want them getting too close to the house, they might mess up my generator.

So far, I have "reserved" cash out of the upcoming check for the following parts:

YHM Easy Take Down Pins

YHM Rifle Fore End

YHM-9627 – Front & YHM-9680-A1 - Rear

I don't ever intend on needing the flip up sights, but as the old military motto goes "One is None" - This weapon will feature a very good scope for it's primary sight system, but in case the worst case scenario occurs, you need to have a back up.

It's a start. I still need to decide on a caliber, a barrel maker and all the hardware to go with it, but so far, as this deal just fell into my lap, I am quite happy.

More to follow -

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Seems like those receivers would hold up to .308.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #3

They will Matt. I found out some interesting information today that has me broadening my plans.

It would appear that the AR Platform has a few tricks up it's sleeve that I was not aware of, until today that is. Let that be a lesson to you guys, taking your gunsmith to lunch sometimes pays HUGE dividends...

First it was the 6.5 Creedmoor, and then the 6.5 Grendel cartridge ( because of a few small, but important reasons ) is where I was leaning to go with this build. And in discussing it with my 'Smith today, he told me that the 6.5 Grendel will, really, only require a 7.62 x 39 bolt head and a barrel chambered for the cartridge. Outside of that, I can change out the bolt, or simply the bolt head, and swap in a different upper barreled action, and away I go with another cartridge, like .223/5.56. I knew I could swap long and short barreled .223/5.56 types, I didn't know I could go with a complete different caliber with only a barrel and a different bolt head.

So, once I build up my lower with all quality parts, then I can prepare two or three different, special purpose uppers and have a small arsenal on one familiar platform.

Options Abound....Which is kind of cool actually.

JD

Old 07-02-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I dunno' I like slow and heavy.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I dunno' I like slow and heavy.
.458 Socom or .50 Beowulf then?

JD

Old 07-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Didn't Accuracy International build some ARs in .50 Beo? That would be pretty slick.

Roger Waters

Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Didn't Accuracy International build some ARs in .50 Beo? That would be pretty slick.
As far as I know, I don't think A.I. ever created any AR platforms. They are a pretty rigid bolt gun company.

You may be thinking of Alexander Arms. I think they were the first to turn out an AR variant in the .50 Beowulf caliber. Never seen one, never seen one fired, but the early reviews were pretty good. You can't beat 325-400 grains traveling at 1900-2000 fps if you absolutely, positively need to get someone, or something's, attention...

JD

Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Could you squeeze a 45-70 in that sucker? Now that would be one differnt ar. One of the oldest military calibers in the newest military rifle platform!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Could you squeeze a 45-70 in that sucker? Now that would be one differnt ar. One of the oldest military calibers in the newest military rifle platform!!!!!!
Boy, I don't know Cpt - That would be an interesting rifle, that's for sure. I would need to hand build a stock and recoil pad for it though, I am not firing that monster with a plastic, 6 position tactical... LOL

JD

Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #10

So, the piece meal build moves ahead. Today I received, in the mail, my set of YHM EZ Pull pins for the upper and lower.

While I don't have anything to put them under tension yet, I thought I would plug them in and see how they look and feel.

They fit nice and smooth, with only a little bit of drag. As you can see in the side view, they offer an extended knob for easier stripping down of the upper from the lower.

As this will be a tactical sharpshooter, and I intend on putting a Krieger or 5R custom barrel on it, I will be braking it open on the front pin ( Pivot Pin ) for cleaning with a chamber guide and custom rod quite a bit. As such, having a rear pin ( Detent Pin ) that allows for easy pulling to open, and closing to get back shooting will be a plus.

These pins fit the bill and only cost $21 shipped to my door.

I have had plenty of people tell me over the years that they can't afford to build a gun on what they make. Well, this will be a test, as I am doing this whole thing piece meal. No credit cards, well - no carrying the debt. I am buying only what I can pay off with each pay check. I am using the credit cards for on line ordering for my protection.

So far:

Olympic Arms Upper & Lower:---:$200
YHM EZ Pull Pin Set:-------------:$ 21
Running Total:-------------------:$ 221

More to follow -

JD