Izhevsk M44 Nagant scout rifle project
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Izhevsk M44 Nagant scout rifle project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Izhevsk M44 Nagant scout rifle project

Hey guys! I'm still not sure how I didn't catch this site launching, but I've rectified the problem now.

A little bit of background on me, first, for some perspective. I'm a bit of a collector of historical oddities, but I also take a lot of interest in hard-line performance data. I'm not afraid of maintenance or modification, and at the same time, I understand the difference between "old" and "valuable". Predictably, I'm no fan of the AR15.
Frequently, I'm asked how I intend to fill the various roles a modern combat rifle could be expected to fill, in order to uphold the spirit of the second amendment.

So, I present for your approval, my response to that question.
Izhevsk M44 Nagant scout rifle project - DIY Projects
Izhevsk M44 Nagant scout rifle project - DIY Projects

THis is my ranch gun, basically what I strap on when I think to myself, "It'd be a good idea to have a weapon on me today, just in case." Obviously I don't go into Chicago much, though they might like the Soviet insignias on my sidearm!

This baby came from an old unmatched Izzy M44 rifle that was a real great shooter but had been all molesticated by CAI's import trades and had a real ugly chopped-up "sporter" stock on it when I got it in '06 for $100. I mean just beautiful groupings (a little under 6" when I bought it) out at 200 yards, even using real nasty surplus ammo, after the new trigger I made for her.

So with no collectible value left, but a huge amount of potential as a practical gun, I got to work.

Here's the short list so far:
-Homemade trigger, cut-down leaf spring material, keyed and tapped to screw a new sear in (welding spring steel, as I've been told, is a bad thing)
-Overtravel stop and return spring added from household junk
-BFH adjustment of receiver ears for more consistent sear engagement and release
-Polishing and re-bluing of the entire inside of the receiver, polished bolt surfaces (not shiny show-polish, but a little less. The surface still holds a film of siliconized Teflon). This and the last step resulted in a bolt that glides like any off-the-shelf gun but feels more rigid.
Now the fun stuff.
-Installed funny-lookin' Archangel stock so my AR15-owner buddies won't make any more jokes about having wood, kept it because it feels reeeeeally nice and probably even more solid than the sporter stock that it had on it
-Bayonet removal
-Installation of Brass Stacker LER scope mount (very happy with this so far)
-Homebrew bedding job with steel epoxy putty
-COunterbored barrel 3/8" to improve crown

These have served to get the grouping down to about 3.5" at said distance, though it's hard to say how much of that isn't due to adding a 'scope to make it a little easier to see what the hell I'm shooting at.

I'm told that the biggest reason that M44's aren't accurate, beyond that they're usually beat-up pieces of turd that need to be taken behind the shed, is that when you get a good one, there's no commercial ammo that works right with it. So I'm playin' with some hand-loads for the shorter barrel to see if I can't maybe use a better slug and a better quality control on the powder to generate, maybe, a gun that will group half of that still at that range. As it stands, it's a little more accurate than my PSL-54C, and a lot more reliable and a whole hell of a lot more easy to clean. I can truthfully say that after playing with this little guy for so many years, I think I'd trust it if I had to take it into the woods and survive.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That looks awsome. Great job on putting it together and improving on it a bit to make it better for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

The shorter barrels require a faster burn rate and staying under max for good results. Find the right mix and the results can be amazing.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #4

That's what I'm told! I've been asking around a bit, but people don't seem to believe that the results I'm getting with an M44 are even possible, so I might have to do some experimentation myself. Tough as it is, I don't think that'll be much of a problem if I try to go at it like a real scientist. It'll just take some time. I figure if I tinker with some real small batches of mixed powders, label my bullets and all that, I'll have some info to share. Should be good for any Mosin Nagant M44, any M38 those cool little Finnish M39's, shortened Mausers and Enfields, too! Little too cold to play with that stuff right now though, we'll give 'er a go in the spring.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #5

Liked 2056 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

have you tried taking that bayonet lug off? I have an M44 I know it would not be easy....but it would make your very cool rig even cooler

Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
This will give the burn rate for several powders. You want to stay faster but not too fast. Maybe H335 as a starting point.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
have you tried taking that bayonet lug off? I have an M44 I know it would not be easy....but it would make your very cool rig even cooler
The bayonet lug is actually part of a sleeve that shrouds the last 3.5" of barrel and is held in place by two perpendicular pins. It also makes up the base of the front sight. It *actually* also provides a clamping base for many M44-type flash hiders. I'm not taking it off, but what I will do is wait until I've decided on and installed a muzzle brake to grind it down, smooth it out and re-blue it to use it as a brake lug and reduce its snag profile a lil' bit.

JTJ- THat is AWESOME, buddy, that'll save me a lot of headache and possibly a few case ruptures.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

The stock is just as much as the gun lol. I love old mosins but that's a lot of work n time to put into a old chopped up m44 lol. But if it's what ya like then that's all that matters. You definitely have a unique taste!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #9

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post

This baby came from an old unmatched Izzy M44 rifle that was a real great shooter but had been all molesticated by CAI's import trades and had a real ugly chopped-up "sporter" stock on it when I got it in '06 for $100. I mean just beautiful groupings (a little under 6" when I bought it) out at 200 yards, even using real nasty surplus ammo, after the new trigger I made for her.
This is my new favorite word.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app