Ideas for Displaying my Military rifles?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Ideas for Displaying my Military rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Default Ideas for Displaying my Military rifles?

My military rifle collection has outgrown my cabinet, and Ive been wanting to hang them on the wall of my gun room.

I would like to figure out a way I could "lock" my guns to the wall, any suggestions?

sputnik1988 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 678

make little hooks to rest on however. on the rear hook make it to a openable/closable hook that can be padlocked.

make a small cabinet with glass doors similar to a china cabinet or hutch. simply lock the glass doors.

or make the front a full sheet of glass and make an access door on one of the sides that locks.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
Trez Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Any gun store will be able to get locking display cases that are made for guns. Go in and check out their catalogue.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
make little hooks to rest on however. on the rear hook make it to a openable/closable hook that can be padlocked.
I was thinking of something like this...

Any suggestions on how to make this?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

I was thinking of something like this...

Any suggestions on how to make this?
This is what I have for the front. It's made of aluminum with leather as a pad.
I'm thinking for around the trigger, or rear stock you could do a full C perhaps use a pinning system. Use 2 peices. A top and bottom. Make one go through the other and then pin or padlock it. Could probly use a small hinge for making it movable. Kinda hard to explain what I'm seeing in my head. Hope this helps
image-2261467283.jpg   image-2836284507.jpg   image-1469844894.jpg  
of a grieving mother
Trez Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My attempt at a drawing. Think this would work really well.

image-2742024975.jpg  
of a grieving mother
Trez Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #7

Nice JJ!! I could see something like that working

Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 961 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Unless the room, is a safe, walk in vault, putting firearms on the walls, locked or not, is asking for trouble. The out of sight thing works, and swinging firearms from the wall, is inviting problems.

Lets say, a year goes by, and all is OK, what about the dust and moisture in the room? A safe, you can control who, and what gets next to your collection.

You have kids? You teach them to pick up their toys when they are done playing? Works for adults also.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Unless the room, is a safe, walk in vault, putting firearms on the walls, locked or not, is asking for trouble. The out of sight thing works, and swinging firearms from the wall, is inviting problems.

Lets say, a year goes by, and all is OK, what about the dust and moisture in the room? A safe, you can control who, and what gets next to your collection.

You have kids? You teach them to pick up their toys when they are done playing? Works for adults also.
i apreciate your comments and pointing out good checks and balances but...

firearms are just as much a peice of art for some people. if you dont like the idea thats fine. i see nothing wrong with displaying items that we care for and take pride in owning.

as far as temp controlled... do you not heat and or cool your house? i dont see how that could be any more controllable.

is seeing a firearm on a wall any more of calling card for a perp than looking in and seeing a big flat screen tv? (which BTW are almost never locked or bolted down)or some other hanging object thats worth money?
if you secure it to the wall well it will take a some time to get it down without making lots of noise and strength.

what about dust and touching? well golly gee most firearm owners that i know wipe down there firearm after every touching/playing /caressing session. so that is a mute point.
of a grieving mother

Last edited by jjfuller1; 01-31-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post

Considering I just have a wood and glass cabinet, anything would be a step up. I wish I could afford a nice safe or to make my gun room a walk-in vault, but I cant. I could get one of those locking metal cabinets, but if somebody has the ability to break into my house, thats not even gonna slow them down.
I figure locking them to the wall is better than what I have now, would look neat, I have most the materials and tools to build it, so it shouldnt cost much, also, at least if someone did break in they would have to cut each gun from the wall individually, not just pry open a cheap metal cabinet and have access to all of them..

I live in Arizona so moisture is next to non-existent and my guns dont really sit around enough to get dusty.
Im young and have no children, nor do any of my friends, my house is 100% kid free. I always have something torn apart, bayonets and knifes are lyin' about, so no I dont pick up my toys.
NightRaidsONLY Likes This