Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > How to package desiccant?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How to package desiccant?

I have about a 5lbs. bag of desiccant beads I got from work. I would like to split it into smaller pouches that I can store in my gun cases to absorb moisture. A plastic sandwich bag wouldn't let air/moisture in to be absorbed. Would a cloth bag leak desiccant dust onto my case/gun?

Anyone have a good way to do this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #2

Liked 7546 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

The next time your lady says "Damn! Another pair of pantyhose shot!" Salvage them. or at least the feet. Foot inside foot, some dessicant, twist tie. Mesh of panty hose should contain the silica gel unless you are playing hacky sack with them. You CAN wrap in a paper towel inside the panty hose.

PS- I have used panty hose to make a sock for a rifle in very dusty clime. In a pinch, you can flick the selector and fire while encased, but it is hell on the pantyhose.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
PS- I have used panty hose to make a sock for a rifle in very dusty clime.
I use it for wiping oil off a stock when I'm refinishing. Soaks up the excess oil without leaving "lint" bits, and helps to burnish the finish. Hmmmm...... maybe we need another thread.

To the OP. A couple of commercial packs that I have has the desiccant in a light cloth bag, and that sits inside a thin cardboard box that is punched full of holes. Nothing complicated.

Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht.
Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, so nennt sie jeder selbstverständlich.
-- Wilhelm Busch

Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
pantyhose
Great idea! Thanks.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #5

Pantyhose does work, but I prefer using dessicant in smaller amounts/containers. 35mm film cannisters work great, just poke a few holes in the bottom. You can get them free from photo processing labs. As a plus, the clear ones let you see the color change telling you it's time to replace/recharge.

ETA: Carboard and cloth are good options, but keep in mind that they can retain moisture.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #6

I use coffee filters folded in 1/2 and staple shut forming 1/2 circle. The paper is porous enough to breath. It is just the right size for use in 50 cal ammo cans.