How much to start reloading?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > How much to start reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How much to start reloading?

So I just bought (all papers pending as im in Maryland) a m&p .40, and a 5.56 AR15. I also intend I buy a 300 blk out ar15.

The only way I will be able to afford to shoot is if I'm going to be reloading, how much does a basic start up cost? Nothing too fancy, but I would like it to be fairly productive. And not have to spend 5 minutes per bullet. Thanks!

Brian

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

About $600.00 at least. Those kits that they sell don't come with everything. Dial calipers, pullet pullers, dies, Shell holders etc. A couple of years ago you get into it fairly cheap but prices are still up there. Look around and get a reloading book. Go on youtube and check out some videos. There is alot to reloading and certain things you have to understand. The more you reload the more your going to shoot so think about bullets, brass, primers and powder too. It all adds up but eventually it will pay for its self. Good luck

Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplayer2382 View Post
So I just bought (all papers pending as im in Maryland) a m&p .40, and a 5.56 AR15. I also intend I buy a 300 blk out ar15.

The only way I will be able to afford to shoot is if I'm going to be reloading, how much does a basic start up cost? Nothing too fancy, but I would like it to be fairly productive. And not have to spend 5 minutes per bullet. Thanks!

Brian
first of all wellcome to the forum and stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello.

first thing i recommend for anyone thinking about getting into reloading, is the buy the book, "The ABC's Of Reloading" and read it several times before ever buying one item for reloading. once finished reading it several times, you have a more clear understanding of the reloading process and procedures, have a more clear idea if it's what you really want to venture into and what you need to get to start reloading.

agian my suggestion is buy the book, read it, before buying anything. it will save you a lot of needless expense and headaches when starting out.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I agree you should buy a book and look at some youtube videos. I would also suggest getting some kind of good turrent press. I have a Lyman T-mag I like alot and use it way more than I do my Dillon 550B. It has 6 stations in the turrent which allows me to leave either 3 sets of rifle dies or 2 sets of handgun dies set up in each turrent and with an extra or 2 I can keep most of what I reload for pretty much ready to go. And lets not fool ourselves, your not gonna save any money. You will just have more ammo and shoot more. Theres not much that gripes my butt more than an empty piece of brass.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1321 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
. And lets not fool ourselves, your not gonna save any money. You will just have more ammo and shoot more. Theres not much that gripes my butt more than an empty piece of brass.
Shhhhhhh! Do Not tell the wives! We are all using this same reasoning to buy the supplies and make our own!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

string1946 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

lol. My wife learned the ugly truth years ago. A guy I worked with wanted to sell his reloading equipment and I told her how much money I would save if I bought it which I did. Buy it not save money. I don't remember what all came in the deal other than a Lee turrent press, some dies, powder funnel, calipers, balance beam scales and some other odds and ends. The only things I still use are the dies and funnel. I wore the press out and patched it up with epoxy putty and then wore it out again and retired it. But I do have plenty of ammo.

PS. And that doesn't even count the getting into casting bullets part.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Last edited by string1946; 08-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #7

Thanks guys, I do plan on buying a book, I have read alt online and watche tons of videos and have a good understanding on what needs to be done web reloading; however the types of equipment (hornady or Dillon press ect) I don't know whats the best bang for the buck, be te grains of the powder/bullet. But that all comes with the book. I figured it would be around $600+ but hopefully under $800

Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #8

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I would shop around. I don't think you will go wrong with an RCBS single stage press.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplayer2382 View Post
Thanks guys, I do plan on buying a book, I have read alt online and watche tons of videos and have a good understanding on what needs to be done web reloading; however the types of equipment (hornady or Dillon press ect) I don't know whats the best bang for the buck, be te grains of the powder/bullet. But that all comes with the book. I figured it would be around $600+ but hopefully under $800
the book, "The ABC's Of Reloading" can be found at Amazon.com for usually under $15. buy the lastest edition. IMO, this book is a must read for anyone not familiar with reloading and thinking about getting to doing it. it will show you the procedures, explain alot about safety, help you make choices in equipment and answer a lot questions. also IMO, it should be the very first book you buy before buying any others. this book will save you many headaches and future problems.