Home made holster
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Home made holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Home made holster

Im thinking of making my own holster. Im not a huge fan of kydex, and would prefer leather (more my style). I've never worked with leather before. Any tips? Also would like to see if i could make a pouch of sorts for my can of mace. I do need it to have belt loops (im only 18 so i can only open carry). Note; i live in Arizona, so any tips that would help keep it from getting hot (if thats possible) would be great. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

YouTube is your friend in this situation! There are many videos on both leather and Kydex holster-making. Just remember that you should probably do a few practice runs on cheap materials and then use the best quality materials you can for the final, usable product.

Good luck!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

You can buy a complete kit from Tandy leather.
You'll want veggie tan leather.
I would go through the projects in the kit to familiarize yourself with the basics first.
If you have a food vacuum saver you can use that to form the leather to the gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
You can buy a complete kit from Tandy leather.
You'll want veggie tan leather.
I would go through the projects in the kit to familiarize yourself with the basics first.
If you have a food vacuum saver you can use that to form the leather to the gun.
Mountainman, how long do you leave the wet leather sucked up in the bag? I'm wondering if it'll work just over a half hour, or do you leave it overnight or a couple of days before you use the boning tool.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post

Mountainman, how long do you leave the wet leather sucked up in the bag? I'm wondering if it'll work just over a half hour, or do you leave it overnight or a couple of days before you use the boning tool.
I'd leave it over night but it may not require that long. Also depends a bit on the type and thickness of leather.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #6

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcowboy94 View Post
Im thinking of making my own holster. Im not a huge fan of kydex, and would prefer leather (more my style). I've never worked with leather before. Any tips? Also would like to see if i could make a pouch of sorts for my can of mace. I do need it to have belt loops (im only 18 so i can only open carry). Note; i live in Arizona, so any tips that would help keep it from getting hot (if thats possible) would be great. Thanks!
I started making a few holsters from scrap leather from hobby lobby. Get the thickest you can find. I'm starting on a simple OWB design that has been in my head for a while. Maybe make a video to share while I'm at it. Wet forming doesn't have to be soaking wet, just damp. If too wet it won't hold shape well. It can also be cured in a oven to add some rigidity.

As previously stated, YouTube is your friend, search "handmade leather holster" and start watching.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #7

Liked 141 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 12

when making leather sheathes for my knives I came to a conclusion. And that is what I thought was easy was really a trade skill.

I form my sheathes while they are damp. I wrap the knife in plastic wrap and use a smooth bone to outline. Then leave it over night or turn the fan on it.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 07-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #8

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I just recently made my first sheath for an old hunting knife. Little different than making a holster. Making one for a multi tool next.