Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Hidden holster.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 937 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Default Hidden holster.

Been thinking about mounting a holster to the back of the nightstand to keep the pistol hidden from my small children, but I would be using the XD gear holster that came with the gun. Which would not allow me to have my tac light attached. Am I just better off leaving it in the drawer with light attached? Or should I go with the hidden mount? Gun is an XD, loaded but not chambered, tac light is quick disconnect.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #2

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

there is no place ... including a safe ... that children will NOT find

for HD I would recommend a shotgun, placed up high on a wall with no furniture beneath it

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #3

Liked 464 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Never ever leave a loaded weapon unsecured when there are small children around. Kids have a way of getting hold of them, even if you suspend it from the ceiling they will get hold of it. When I was 5 I was able to get a chair and climbed up into a closet and was able to find a samurai sword that was hidden way back on the upper shelf and sliced my finger badly. My grandmother took that beautiful Jap bring back and tossed it into the trash. If I didn't do what I did I'd have it today. Never risk a tragedy with your children, cause you'll never forgive yourself.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #4

Liked 268 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Look into the gun vaults. I have one that is in my cedar chest next to my bed, but it can be bolted anywhere. Its a four button combo to open it and i also have small children at home and its worked great for me. I will post a picture of one in a few minutes.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Liked 268 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is what i was talking about.
The picture is not of mine, just one i found on google but you get the idea. You can basicly mount it anywhere. The single gun vault is like $100. And there is a double for like $150. In my double safe i usually only keep two handguns but i have had four in there at one time. There is quite a bit of room. Ive had a 4in GP100, Glock 17, Sig mosquito, S&W 638 and 100 rounds of ammo in there at the same time. Dont use it as a dedicated safe but for sleeping it works great.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk
Look into the gun vaults. I have one that is in my cedar chest next to my bed, but it can be bolted anywhere. Its a four button combo to open it and i also have small children at home and its worked great for me. I will post a picture of one in a few minutes.
I do have a vault, with biometric as well as the buttons. The biometric does not work nearly as good as claimed, so I could have saved myself alot of money by just going with the button model. I only keep the pistol in the nightstand at night for easy access. I agree a shotgun would be better, but I first need to find a shorter barrel. I have a Winchester ranger 120, and know the 1300 barrels will fit it, but the 1300 defender barrels won't! Being so close to the liberal cesspool of Madison, we only get 1or 2 gun shows a year. The nearest LGS are a bunch of un-helpfull gun snobs.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This is it. Overpriced for how finicky the biometrics are.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121028_071724.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  25.3 KB

Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB
This is it. Overpriced for how finicky the biometrics are.
I concur with the gun vaults.
I like the ones with the push-button Simplex
lock. Very hard for anyone to break the code.
A kid will not be able to. If the wrong sequence is pushed the lock goes dormant without the
would be "safecracker" knowing it.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

If a kid can find where you carefully hid their Christmas presents, they will find that concealed holster. Not a good idea.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Firearms and kids ....

I agree with previous posters; kids WILL find things eventually. And that is the reason I bring this thought to the discussion. There are lots of writings about HOW to handle firearms in a family when there are young ones. I won't try to tell you what to do. But I will suggest some sites where you can read about situations with kids and I will recommend that you begin teaching your kids how you want them to be taught (in a strong voice) and do it NOW!

You can include as part of the training what can and what cannot be talked about in public. Most fathers/mothers don't want their son/daughter asking "Daddy, do you have your gun?" where other, less understanding people might overhear the question.

The 'Cornered Cat' website is very good in my opinion.
http://www.corneredcat.com/article/kids-and-guns/the-first-lesson/

And of course, Massad Ayoob is one of my favorite writers regarding most topics on guns.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/Of_kids_and_guns

Depending on how old your kids are; this video might be good for them to see. It is the NRA "Eddie Eagle" with Jason Priestly. Check it out.

Regards, Larry
"Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword; the other is by debt." John Adams

Last edited by LarryinCo; 10-29-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Add another url.
People Like This