Help with outdoor bullet trap
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Help with outdoor bullet trap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default Help with outdoor bullet trap

When I get to my next duty station, and buy a house, I plan on building a shooting range on my property. I will be shooting almost entirely handguns.

I'd like some imput on how to setup my bullet trap. I don't cast bullets right now, but I fully intend to get into it when I get there. I'd like to be able to save as many projectiles as possible for reuse.

With that in mind, I'm thinking steel for the backdrop. I have done a minimal amount of research on it, as I'm still about a year away from being there.

Question one: let's say I'll be shooting .44 Magnum. I don't own any, but I want my range to be over-prepared (caliber wise), so let's bank on me having one someday. What grade and thickness of steel is acceptable for stopping .44 Magnum, say from 5-25 yards max?

Question two: Do any of you have any ideas on how best to setup the bullet trap, to save as much lead as possible? I have a few ideas floating around in my head, but if any of you have done this I'd like to hear from you.

I found the below video, and I really like his setup. I am right now leaning towards doing something like this:

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Recommendations? Gripes?

Thanks.

Always have clean socks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Perhaps you could capture a bear and use it as the bullet trap?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Perhaps you could capture a bear and use it as the bullet trap?
I feel like digging around in the bear would be more trouble than its worth in terms of retrieving the lead... :P

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Maybe there is a reason for it but why use mulch at the base, wouldn't you want a flat surface or something that doesn't cover up your lead making it harder to find?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpubba View Post
Maybe there is a reason for it but why use mulch at the base, wouldn't you want a flat surface or something that doesn't cover up your lead making it harder to find?
Right, that was exactly my thought. I would use a sheet of plywood or something. As long as it gets trapped in there, and there's a perimeter around the base with other wood, so leaves and other nonsense doesn't get blown in very easily.

I think he said he just liked the smell of the mulch. Personally I don't wanna have to root around too much to retrieve the lead.

But other than that, and a few minor changes here and there, I like his general design.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Rather than mulch, sand. At least 6 inches. Bullet hits angled plate, sheds some speed, is redirected into sand, when it stops. Cover open sides with plywood so local cats do not use for litterbox. When you want to recover lead, use shovel, dump sand on a sifter screen, return sand to base.

Those dimples are not good. Bullet striking on the edge of a dimple is going to go in a direction you cannot forecast. Check with local welding fab shop or metal supplier for their suggestions. And the NRA also has a range section for can call and talk to.

Uhhhh- you ARE a member of the NRA. right?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Rather than mulch, sand. At least 6 inches. Bullet hits angled plate, sheds some speed, is redirected into sand, when it stops. Cover open sides with plywood so local cats do not use for litterbox. When you want to recover lead, use shovel, dump sand on a sifter screen, return sand to base. ...
Maybe one of those slotted scoops for litter boxes would aid in lead recovery.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Rather than mulch, sand. At least 6 inches. Bullet hits angled plate, sheds some speed, is redirected into sand, when it stops. Cover open sides with plywood so local cats do not use for litterbox. When you want to recover lead, use shovel, dump sand on a sifter screen, return sand to base.

Those dimples are not good. Bullet striking on the edge of a dimple is going to go in a direction you cannot forecast. Check with local welding fab shop or metal supplier for their suggestions. And the NRA also has a range section for can call and talk to.

Uhhhh- you ARE a member of the NRA. right?
Good advice, as always. The dimples are part of the reason I want the steel to be over-prepared for the calibers I plan on using. I'll talk to local welding shops when I get there.

I'm not sure how I feel about the sand, though. I understand the purpose you're talking about, but I feel like there must be a better way to stop the momentum of the bullet after deflection, so that I don't have to sift through sand so much.

And yes, of course I'm a member of the NRA.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

If you want to put some money in it, have a welder make you one of these-

snail-20trap-20cross-20section.jpg

You just open the end plate, and rake the lead out.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

C3, that's an interesting thing-a-ma-jiggy. What should I even begin to call it? For googling purposes?

Always have clean socks.