Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Hellllpppppp night sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Start over with new sights. If it's a good gun it deserves to be done right.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #12

Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
Start over with new sights. If it's a good gun it deserves to be done right.
Nah I'm not re paying for it unless necessary. Call me cheap but if I can fix it why buy a new one? I'm going to try the jb weld tonight and see how it works. Just don't have to many more ideas. Nothing will be ruined by messing with the sight as far as the slide so Idc in open to opinions. Besides starting over because that's a obvious

Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #13

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

This is ridiculous. Seriously, you've ruined the sights you already purchased. If they were for your Glock they shouldn't have needed any trimming or fiddling with to go in, there's a tool for that.
You clearly don't have any idea what you're doing, the 'helllllllpp' you need is a proper gunsmith and at least a new rear sight.

Even if you get them to go in and stay in, there not going to last.. You're going to reach for your pistol one day and the sight(s) are going to be gone. You really should take it some where. There's zero shame in having it done right.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
This is ridiculous. Seriously, you've ruined the sights you already purchased. If they were for your Glock they shouldn't have needed any trimming or fiddling with to go in, there's a tool for that. You clearly don't have any idea what you're doing, the 'helllllllpp' you need is a proper gunsmith and at least a new rear sight. Even if you get them to go in and stay in, there not going to last.. You're going to reach for your pistol one day and the sight(s) are going to be gone. You really should take it some where. There's zero shame in having it done right.

There is zero shame but it's not ridiculous to want to do something on my own. The sights were a bit off when they came in, just figured I could fix them. I haven't yet but I will. Who cares it's my gun I want to try it by myself with guidance through you guys that help. If it doesn't work oh well I tried. How else do you learn without trying. If it doesn't stay on forever then I'll get a new sight no big deal. It's not my go to gun if shtf. Got plenty of others with night sights installed including a shotty. So it's not a big deal. All I wanted was help on putting them on not telling me to run to a gunsmith. I'm not stupid I know they can do it. Not everyone runs to someone immediately and hands them cash to fix whatever. If I don't then maybe I will after I TRY!

Old 10-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #15

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I did not mean to be offensive.
Once you cut the board too short there's no board stretcher.

You're right, it is yours.. The advice has been given to see a gun smith or get new sights after the fact, I don't believe anyone said you shouldn't have tried it to start with. Either way, it's yours so enjoy.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

It's really quite simple bro, I would never trust my life to JB Weld.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #17

Right I wouldn't either but I'm not trying to trust my life with it!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #18

Liked 1975 Times on 1173 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Again I say don't use JB Weld on your gun. It will become brittle when thin. It will flake, powder then be useless.
Try the staking method I indicated earlier. It is used frequently for slightly undersized sights.

Are you using a sight pusher to install the sight or just a hammer and drift punch? My guess is that if you are using a hammer and punch the JB Weld will begin to crack during installation.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

cblowe,

Doc had a great idea. They do make some Brass Shims that we also use on scopes from time to time. They are very thin and you can probably get it from Brownells or other places. What I would try is to cut a small piece and then drive the damaged sight in over the top of it in the V Notch. Also Docs idea of maybe using a center punch and make some evenly spaced center punch marks on the bottom of the sight. Either method is worth a try! But JB NO! NO! Finally a replacement sight. But I realy think the shim method or center punch method will work!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #20

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts

I vote center punch on bottom of rear sight. If it gives adequate resistance when drifting in you should be good. For added insurance apply a drop of loctite to each side of the dovetail next to the rear sight once centered.