has anyone built a 10/22 razor receiver?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > has anyone built a 10/22 razor receiver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 296 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Default has anyone built a 10/22 razor receiver?

Does anyone have any experience building one of these guns up. Im looking at the 10/22 magnum and would appreciate any feedback from somone who has already built one.
Maybe we could get a group buy going from select fire.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

The 10/22 magnum has always had reliability problems,that's why Ruger discontinued production of it.
Very few semi-auto 22wmr rifles work as expected,I'd choose another caliber to play with.

Magnum Research produces a modified version of the Ruger 10/22M,and it works pretty good,but for $700 +,it's pretty pricey for a rimfire.
Excel also makes a nice one,but they're $500 +.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-22WMR-Hogue-OverMolded-Rifle.asp

http://www.excelarms.com/rifles/acceleratorrifle.html

Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

I understand the reliability issues involved,this is 10/22 #18 that i have built. I have already done a fairly exhaustive web search on the topic. I have the machine tools and the knowledge to use them(15 years). I am asking if anyone has experience with this receiver? I am looking for less obvious faults, like maybe i should just cnc from a block of t6 and heat treat myself...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #4

As i understand from select fire, their 10/22 mag receiver and bolt is sold as a kit and is not just a copy of rugers design. Supposed to get around the bolt breakage ruger was having. Bolt is tool steel mild hard not brittle tungsten like the original.
$5-700 is perfectly acceptable for a high end target rifle, even a rimfire. You don't want to know how much i have wrapped up in my barret 50. Shooting something where a box of ammo costs what i pay per round is also attractive...

Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

Ok ordered two of the 10/22 standard recievers last week and they just arrived. Quick shipping. Very good quality on the machine work, the integrated rail is a nice touch. Also the fact that these are machined from billets and ALL surfaces are machined makes them better than Ruger original for my money. No casting slope and the internals are much smoother than factory. A quick function check with a stock bolt and handle went well.

I will update as the work progresses and post some pics in a couple days. I wanted to eval the process before I put more serious money down on the magnum reciever for my 17 HMR custom build. I know I'm not saving any money this way but the process itself is facinating. I really can say that this is MY gun from start to finish. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #6

Ok the machining is done. Went step by step until the barrel hole. Used a 5/8 as the final drill and then changed over to an expanding reamer for final sizing. Took me about 1 1/2 hrs to fully machine two receivers. Easy job, well within the skills of a home gunsmith. Only tools needed are kit and template, drill press and reamers. Got my set at harbor freight, cost less than a single reamer from a machine supplier.

Function test went well. Rounds feed from the new bx25 mags just fine. Shot single, double and then ten rounds. All factory parts fit perfectly.( trigger, bolt and mags)

Ready to disassemble and polish before i send off to laser etcher for legal details. After that i plan to duracoat both.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

What,No pictures!!!!
Sounds like you've been having some fun with these receivers.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
What,No pictures!!!!
Sounds like you've been having some fun with these receivers.
Working on the pics. Camera phone is terrible. Great receivers. Far easier than the 80% ar15 receivers i tried a couple years ago.( unsuccessfully)