Gun Restoration
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Restoration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gun Restoration

I've been wanting to fix up my Mosin Nagant 91/30, so this past week I refinished the stock. I think it looks pretty good for my first ever try, and now I'm wanting to fix up the rest of it. My questions are what I can do to fix up the bolt, and any reblueing tips you guys have. Like I said, this is the first restoration project I've ever done, so all the tips you can give me are great. Links to videos or articles to help would be appreciated.
Thanks! Pics below of the stock.

image-890688504.jpg   image-1919482587.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It is only limited to what you can think of, the limits of the rifle, and your own abilities.
Still the bolt is most likely nickel plated so there is not much you can do to the bolt. To find out if the bolt is plated use some cold blue. If it is not plated it will turn blue. For the metal, I would start out with a stone and then use sand paper. Use WD-40 when polishing and keep the polishing marks the same direction. Then you just have chose how you will blue.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrbertothy
It is only limited to what you can think of, the limits of the rifle, and your own abilities.
Still the bolt is most likely nickel plated so there is not much you can do to the bolt. To find out if the bolt is plated use some cold blue. If it is not plated it will turn blue. For the metal, I would start out with a stone and then use sand paper. Use WD-40 when polishing and keep the polishing marks the same direction. Then you just have chose how you will blue.
Thanks for the input. Why kind of blue do you like best? I have an SKS that I would like to reblue after using my Mosin as a sort of test rifle, seeing as it was $130 to buy.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #4

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

For bluing things I use PermaBlue, my old man gets them out at work in bulk tubes. It's stupid simple you heat up the metal (you can use a hair drier) you heat it till it's pretty warm to the touch, get you some of it on a brush or what ever your gonna use (I recommend something with a handle so you don't burn yourself, and you just repeat it till you get the desired finish. I used it on my mosin is several places, the bolt, the muzzle crown, and the where the bayonet rubs on the barrel.

As for other parts of the rifle if you have sticky bolt syndrome go to Iraqvetran8888 channel on youtube and he has a whole thing about that that usually works. I bought a polishing kit for my dremal tool and polished a few different area's on the rifle like most of the trigger and some areas on outer receiver where the bolt rubs.

Really theirs a bunch of stuff that you can do, like said it's really up to you, your skill, and what the rifle can do.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 03-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you go to Brownells they have a few kits that you can use for rebluing. These kits don't require you to have tanks like you would need to have for hot bluing or hot rust bluing. The perma blue as well as 44/40 good cold blues to start out with.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Also when you use these bluing methods make sure you apply the bluing to the surface for the whole length of the barrel or the action. Stops in the length will show up. To hide the lines in the length of the barrel or action use 0000 steel wool with the cold blue on the steel wool. This will blend the bluing. A light touch is needed or you will take the bluing up with the steel wool.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Iraqveteran8888 has good videos for everything Mosin. I prefer PermaBlue to the others you can get a kit that pretty much has what you need.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would use what ever is the easy for you to use.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #9

I use Oxpho-blue with nice results also.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtolly1
Iraqveteran8888 has good videos for everything Mosin. I prefer PermaBlue to the others you can get a kit that pretty much has what you need.
I used his videos for refinishing my stock and was most likely going to use his methods for bluing also.