Gun Cleaning Input - Page 99
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #981
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns? Rounds Fired and or time between cleaning. 300 rounds or 4 months whichever is greater.

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.....I know how many rounds / whem I last cleaned the gun.

How do you clean your guns?
Tear down, Hopes, Gun Scrubber, then Break free oil.

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
Tear down, Soak, Brush, blast with gun scrubber, dry, oil.

"Train as you fight, fight as you train" www.floridafirearmstraining.com

Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #982

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Cheap, Effective Gun Lube

A participant on a firearms-related email forum who is a gunsmith in Texas shared his favorite gun-lube formula, something he calls "Ox Snot.". It's half-and-half Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and STP oil treatment. He didn't say what weight oil but I bought a bottle of 10W-30W Valvoline synthetic and a 15oz. bottle of STP last night and mixed the together. Now, for a total expenditure of $9 I have what appears to be a lifetime supply of gun lube and half a quart of leftover oil for my lawn mower's next oil change.

I used it to oil up six pistols last night and a little goes a L-O-N-G way. I used a Q-tip that I moistened by rolling across the inside of bottle cap after I'd finished shaking the mixture to combine the two ingredients. There was enough lube coating the inside of the bottle cap to do three guns and I still had to wipe off the excess from the guns with a rag. After wiping them down so that they looked dry, all the parts were still very, very slick. I had to wash my hands with mechanics' hand cleaner four or five times before they stopped feeling oily just from what got on them from handling the guns while oiling them.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #983

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolin_1911a1 View Post
A participant on a firearms-related email forum who is a gunsmith in Texas shared his favorite gun-lube formula, something he calls "Ox Snot.". It's half-and-half Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and STP oil treatment. He didn't say what weight oil but I bought a bottle of 10W-30W Valvoline synthetic and a 15oz. bottle of STP last night and mixed the together. Now, for a total expenditure of $9 I have what appears to be a lifetime supply of gun lube and half a quart of leftover oil for my lawn mower's next oil change.

I used it to oil up six pistols last night and a little goes a L-O-N-G way. I used a Q-tip that I moistened by rolling across the inside of bottle cap after I'd finished shaking the mixture to combine the two ingredients. There was enough lube coating the inside of the bottle cap to do three guns and I still had to wipe off the excess from the guns with a rag. After wiping them down so that they looked dry, all the parts were still very, very slick. I had to wash my hands with mechanics' hand cleaner four or five times before they stopped feeling oily just from what got on them from handling the guns while oiling them.
Wait until you see what that conction will do in real cold weather. Your guns may not operate when their cold, because of the STP.

Stick one of your guns in the refrigerator for a couple of hours and see if it still operates as it should.

That is something you should know before you go to far with your lubrications...

Bill

Old 05-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #984

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Wait until you see what that conction will do in real cold weather. Your guns may not operate when their cold, because of the STP.

Stick one of your guns in the refrigerator for a couple of hours and see if it still operates as it should.

That is something you should know before you go to far with your lubrications...

Bill
That's a good point, Bill and one that I should have remembered.

I recall when BreakFree CLP first came on the market, I started lubing all of my guns with it because it did such a good job of rust prevention compared to the Sheath that I'd been using. Then I took my Ruger Mk I pistol shooting one bitterly cold (about -15 F) day. The bolt would slowly crawl back almost far enough to eject the cartridge and then stay there.

That taught me to never lube a gun up to the point that it actually looks wet. Wiping it with a clothe moistened in lube is enough. Lubed that lightly it shouldn't (famous last words) gum up if cold but I think I'm going to put one in the freezer overnight and make certain it works when that cold. Of course, living in southern Missouri where it rarely gets very far below freezing is another factor in my favor.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #985

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
That's a good point, Bill and one that I should have remembered.

I recall when BreakFree CLP first came on the market, I started lubing all of my guns with it because it did such a good job of rust prevention compared to the Sheath that I'd been using. Then I took my Ruger Mk I pistol shooting one bitterly cold (about -15 F) day. The bolt would slowly crawl back almost far enough to eject the cartridge and then stay there.

That taught me to never lube a gun up to the point that it actually looks wet. Wiping it with a clothe moistened in lube is enough. Lubed that lightly it shouldn't (famous last words) gum up if cold but I think I'm going to put one in the freezer overnight and make certain it works when that cold. Of course, living in southern Missouri where it rarely gets very far below freezing is another factor in my favor.
I'm from Montana, and I know what lubricants can do to a firearm. But most of all I'm not trying to tell you what to do.

I know what I might do though, I have a Ruger Mark 1 Target Auto that I bought in 1962. I may just put some Mobil One only on it, sparingly, and put it in the fridge and see how it reacts...

I'm glad you made your initial post, it has set me to thinking...

Bill

Last edited by Stillwater; 05-06-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #986

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Depends one the gun and the gunk, I have used lots of stuff for cleaning. Rem oil, shotgun cleaner, hoppes, mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, carb cleaner and on my muzzle loader soap and water. The one constant is after cleaning 3in1 oil.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #987

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I'm from Montana, and I know what lubricants can do to a firearm. But most of all I'm not trying to tell you what to do.

I know what I might do though, I have a Ruger Mark 1 Target Auto that I bought in 1962. I may just put some Mobil One only on it, sparingly, and put it in the fridge and see how it reacts...

I'm glad you made your initial post, it has set me to thinking...

Bill
And I'm glad you brought up the possibility of cold being a factor. But, I just took my Hi-Power out of the freezer after an hour in there. It's cold enough that frost formed instantly on the exterior but there is no noticeable resistance or drag on the slide from thickened lube. I think this stuff is going to work.

The only drawback to the test is that now I'm going to have to detail strip, dry, and re-lubricate the gun once it warms back up. The outside humidity here is 60% and as soon as the frost melted the poor pistol looked as though I'd taken it into the shower with me. I've got it wrapped in paper towels at the moment. Once it warms up to room temperature I'll have to disassemble it and give it a good wipe down with an oily clothe. It's only an FEG PJK-9HP but the bluing is too beautiful on that pistol to risk letting it rust.

Last edited by brolin_1911a1; 05-06-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #988

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
And I'm glad you brought up the possibility of cold being a factor. But, I just took my Hi-Power out of the freezer after an hour in there. It's cold enough that frost formed instantly on the exterior but there is no noticeable resistance or drag on the slide from thickened lube. I think this stuff is going to work.

The only drawback to the test is that now I'm going to have to detail strip, dry, and re-lubricate the gun once it warms back up. The outside humidity here is 60% and as soon as the frost melted the poor pistol looked as though I'd taken it into the shower with me. I've got it wrapped in paper towels at the moment. Once it warms up to room temperature I'll have to disassemble it and give it a good wipe down with an oily clothe. It's only an FEG PJK-9HP but the bluing is too beautiful on that pistol to risk letting it rust.
I'm glad to hear your results. The Hi-Power is a great pistol, you're right in looking out for it.

Bill

Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #989
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For rifles, I do a total cleaning every time I finish shooting for the day. I try to do some maint(barrel/chamber) whenever I get a break.
You never know how intense your next shoot-out will be!
Pistols seem to need more frequent attention. Things start slowing down at about 4-5 mags. I do a quick barrel/chamber/slide and drive on.
I started using Bereak Free/CLP, while I was in the service. It was all I knew. I was introduced to the Slip2000 line and love it. The 725 cleaner cleans to white and is environmentally safe. Their gun lube EWL, and Gun Grease do wonders. Change is painful, but I was dragged into the 90's. Thank God.....

ARMY VET - DV - NRA Life Member - Holmesburg Fish & Game
Artillery lends a bit of dignity to what otherwise would be just a savage brawl......

Last edited by rab; 05-07-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: forgot the point

Old 05-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #990

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Rimfire I clean after every 1000 rounds or when I notice malfunctions.
Centerfire I clean after about every 200-300 rounds. Except for my primary self defense weapon. I clean that after every use.
When I do clean my firearms I use Hoppes, Winchester break free powder blast, and CLP.
Even though I don't clean my firearms after every use, I always wipe them down with some Liquid Wrench or CLP to prevent rust. Then I place them In a Bore-Store.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Last edited by jordan89; 05-13-2012 at 10:14 PM.