Gun Cleaning Input - Page 95
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #941
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

1. Janitorial Ammonia with a little Dawn 1:4 with water for step one

clears corrosives, copper,and lead. Push through 2 dry patches.

2. Brush cleaner mineral solvent straight for dirt. Push through

two dry patches. Repeat as needed.

3. For all internal parts, Dexron III for lube. Also a great

stop-gap swab for soaking barrels for a more thorough

cleaning later.

4. For external and bluing, Mobil1 Synthetic.

Congratulations! You're officially off the pig...

Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #942

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Funny when I seen the word Ammonia it made me think of a form of self defense I used way back. There had been a large number of car high jackings going on in an area I was stationed in back in the early eighties. I bought a squirt gun pistol and filled it with industrial Ammonia and kept it on the seat next to me when I drove. Some punk actually tried to grab my door handle from the inside one summer. I squirted him in the face and can honestly say I never seen someone in that much pain thrashing on the ground. I got the hell out of there but I'll never forget him thrashing in pain. I have told a few friends who refuse to own a gun to buy a high quality soaker and make sure it does not leak. Fill it with industrial grade Ammonia and use it if someone breaks in. Pump it once or twice. It does not matter if he is high on drugs it will stop them even if you hit him in the arm or legs. The vapor is enough to put them down regardless. I know from personal experience it WORKS!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #943

After every shooting day, I run a Boresnake through with a couple drops of CLP, and wipe down the outside with a silicon cloth (this is in case there is no time afterwards to clean properly). When I get home (or first opportunity) I field strip, blast off most of the crud with Gun Scrubber, then use a toothbrush and Q-tip for crevices, then I oil as applicable. Once a year or so, I do a complete strip and detail the gun. A good sonic cleaner is a time saver.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #944

Every few years I buy a couple of yards of 100% cotton diaper flannel, put it through the washing machine, and cut off bits as needed. Very economical and I can fit any bore conveniently. The cotton flannel is very strong and soft.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #945
DrZ

Does anyone have experience with Froglube?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #946

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns? Well I clean after every 200 rounds for pistol, 10 rifle, after every time I hunt with shotgun. I do perform a detailed cleaning (field strip) every 3-6 months.

How do you clean your guns? The way I was taught, CLP and a GP brush.

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.

CLP and GP brush, except that I use the Rem Oil and choke cleaner for shotgun. I also use a bore snake.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #947
DrZ

Default my previous cleaning tech

in the past I have used a mixture of : kerosene 40%, mineral spirits 40%, marvel mystery oil 15% , risolone 5%. it has the power to penetrate and lift ( I use it around the house inplace of penetrating oil) but you need to be in a well ventilated location. I have been lubing my AR with mobil1 and have had no problems. I saw Froglube (a clp )at a local gunshow - smells nice and is nontoxic. I bought a small amount it seems to clean well but it is not compatible with petro-based chemicals. I was wondering if anyone had comments after long term use.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #948

I use bore snakes after every day at the range. I clean my pistols after every 500 rounds and my revolvers after every 200 rounds. I wipe all guns down after shooting. I usually use rubbing alcohol on my stainless revolver before wiping down with silicon cloth.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #949

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm not going to 95 pages tryna find out this answer how do bor snakes work can you wash them are they available for the 22 lr I assume it saves you money in the long run just cleaning firearms edit I have recently ran out of patches that's why am asking

Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #950
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3680

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm47nagiont View Post
I'm not going to 95 pages tryna find out this answer how do bor snakes work can you wash them are they available for the 22 lr I assume it saves you money in the long run just cleaning firearms edit I have recently ran out of patches that's why am asking
Yes, they make boresnakes for the .22lr.

You CAN wash them in a washing machine, but it's advised against doing so with normal laundry. I through mine in with a seperate load of other rags. You can also wash them by hand.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere