Gun Cleaning Input - Page 91
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #901
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is it ok on on the old guns

Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #902

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid View Post
Sounds like great stuff Dano50 and I would love a sample can only one problem, I live in New Zealand but thanks for the offer
No problem, sorry about that. Not sorry that you live in New Zealand, but sorry I can't send you a sample. Thought I would clarify.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #903

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I'm coming to rely on Dexron III more and more these days.

Great at the range as barrel swab, and really good for the

barrel between cleanings.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #904

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Two revolvers and a 1911. Day after the range I cleaned off as much as possible with an old cotton t-shirt, used no solvents.
Wife complains about the odor, so I had to wait till she left for work the next morning. We live in a town home, no seperate building I can go to , and too darn cold to clean outside. After she went to work, I took out all of the towels and washcloths from the guest bathroom, llined the sink with newspaper and had trash bags ready to accept all of the used Q tips and swabs. With the bathroom vent fan sending the fumes outdoors, I first soaked the barrels with Hoppes #9, then set out to cleaning everything else. Also made long thin strips of cotton cloth and ran through barrels like a makeshift boresnake. After cleaning everything, put back together and packed away, gathered all trash and double bagged, set trash bag outside on the back deck, wiped down the sink with 409 and put the towels and washcloths back in after running the fan about an hour. I was late to work that day. Later that night when the wife got home I told her to go into the bathroom and tell me what she smelled. She could not tell I had used her guest bathrom for guncleaning. What a hassle though! Reckon next time I want to go shooting I'll just have to wait till the weather is warmer and clean my guns outside on the back deck.

BTW I have watched this thread from the beginning and cannot BELIEVE we've hit over 900 posts! Way to go!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #905

I am also of the school of thought that cleans and oils my guns after every range trip. I will also give my EDC a wipe down and fresh oil on the rails, etc, every couple of weeks. Even if I haven't used it.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #906

Therewolf--look in the top right hand corner of each post. these are the post numbers...i was refering to post #845 if you want to see this idiot "clean" his gun. its truely pathetic.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #907

Quote:
I used to clean all my guns thoroughly after every trip to the shooting range. Then I read where that could actually harm them, so now I clean after about every 3rd or 4th trip.
Just another excuse to use for failing to maintain your weapons. Learn how to clean your weapons properly, and you will do no damage. Just a matter of training.

Go figure.

Fred

Semper Fi

"Mindset-Skillset-Toolset" -- Col John Boyd who gave us the "OODA" concept

“To lead untrained men in to war, is to waste them.” - Confucius

“We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” - Ayn Rand

Stupid should hurt

Old 01-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #908

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterhorse13 View Post
Therewolf--look in the top right hand corner of each post. these are the post numbers...i was refering to post #845 if you want to see this idiot "clean" his gun. its truely pathetic.
Well, first, it's in German, in which I'm not fluent. Second, it's pages away from

the barrage you gave it, perhaps a little out of range, so to speak? I'm

sorry, I just didn't know to which video you were referring.

Since I have multiple guns which I shoot on a regular basis, I'm finding

cleaning to be more of a daily process than a finite act involving a few

moments after a gun has been brought home from the range.

Brown (cider) Vinegar has a nice way of breaking down stubborn

dirt in a gun barrel, I'm thinking of substituting it for bore gel...

Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #909

why is it so hard for people to understand that cleaning your gun is a chore, yes. but if you done clean it; it will fail on you when you need it. whats the point of having weapons if your not willing to spend the time to clean them? and clean them PROPERLY!! anyone can wizz thru cleaning a gun, its not rocket science. but it is a neccesary evil that needs to be done even if the gun just sits around for 6 months unfired because of dust. im not overly excited about cleaning my firearms, but whether i use them or not they will be cleaned thoroughly and properly. i see people saying crap like "i heard it harms a weapon if its cleaned too much" ....REALLY?? who did you hear this from? who are "THEY" that told you this misguided bit of information? and WHY in the world would you BELEIVE that crap??? are people just too lazy to clean them? if you shoot them at the range there is unburned powder residue all over the metal which draws moisture, in turn which causes rust. i just cant fathom why anyone would let em sit around the house like this, without cleaning them? guns are expensive and for me there an investment. i'll be damned if im gonna let my investment get all nasty and possibly rust up!! beats all i ever seen!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #910

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Chore? Around these parts gun cleaning is spelled F-O-R-E-P-L-A- Y.