Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Gun Cleaning Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
Typically try to clean after each trip to the gun range.
Products used include: Hoppes, Birchwood Bore Scrubber; Rem Oil; Shooter's Choice; Ultima Lube. Standard cleaning methods.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #82

I clean all of my firearms/long guns after every range session. Center-fire, rim-fire, shotgun, pistol...all the same procedure.

All of my firearms are treated with Eezox the moment I get them, I have found this greatly reduces buildup, and cleaning subsequently. Also once cured, it leaves them extremely corrosion resistant for long periods of time, no matter the environmental condition.

First I wipe all exterior surfaces down with a clean cotton cloth, field strip the weapon, then use Hoppes #9 on the bore, and chamber. Alternating patch and brass brush in the bore, I then use Eezox to clean, and treat the rest of the metal components sometimes with a patch or a Q-tip, internal and external. Wipe down any excess Eezox, reassemble, and store the weapon until its next use.

Jeff (teet)

Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #83

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I clean guns before after any use, before storage. I clean with whatever is available.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #84

As a rule I keep all my weapons clean. My winter carry weapon (Uzi Pistol) does not care if I have cleaned it in the last 2000 rds. or not. However, I do keep it clean for carrying. And on warm days when I can not carry the Uzi, I carry a revolver that looks like it has never been fired, it is so clean. I clean it after every use.

The methods used for clean vary with the weapon. The revolver gets a wipe down after being carried and a more thorough cleaning if used (it is blued). The Uzi will get its bolt removed and firing assembly taken apart if it has been fired. It has a finish that resist rust. Hope that helps.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #85

Like many others here, I do a complete breakdown and cleaning every tiime after firing the weapon.
My unfired weapons get cleaned only once a year, usually on a cold snowy day.
Maybe I should clean them more often.

I don't have any "favorite" cleaning products, but, I tend to use Remington bore cleaner and Hoppes oil mostly.

Thanks everone for the cleaning tips!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #86

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
The data, statistics and information from this thread will be compiled into an FAQ article. Please be as detailed but concise as you can in your response.

-------

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns?

Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

How do you clean your guns?

What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.
I clean as needed based on condition of gun and next use. I use Hoppes #9 (yep, low tech) and CLP and a copper solvent on the bores of rifles as needed. I then lubrcate with Shooters Choice grease and oil where needed.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #87

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

What is your criteria for cleaning your guns? Do you clean based on rounds fired, time since last cleaning, condition of gun, etc.

I do a thorough cleaning of my firearms after every trip to the range. I find it an enjoyable ritual, it keeps me familiar with field stripping my milsurps, and is something to do with my hands while downing my cold beer of the day.

How do you clean your guns? What products do you use and what methods to thorough cleaning.

Hoppes #9 and whatever brand of disposable gun oil wipes. I run a wet patch through, let it soak, run a wet wire brush through, and then dry patches until they come away clean. I use the gun oil wipes to clean every metal part inside and out (except the barrel). Then I reassemble and finally use a fine dry rag to get rid of any "salad dressing" on the outside metal.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #88

I do not use corrosive ammo. Generally I will wipe my guns down after a range trip and give them a complete cleaning within a few days to a week. I have been doing this way close to 50 years now and no problems.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #89

I normally clean after each range outing.

I do a field strip and clean using hoppes bore cleaner and dry with patches until clean. I then regrease all areas that need grease and dry areas that should remain dry.

In addition, I clean my stock and hand guard with a littkle pure tung oil on a soft rag. The tung oil acts as a detergen sort of as it removes the grime and adds a layer of protection at the same time. After applying the tuing oil, it is hand rubbed into the wood until dry. This keeps the stock looking geat as well.

President, M14 Rifle Association
Chief Range Officer M14RA
M14 Rifle Instructor M14RA
Rifle Instructor M14RA
Chief Range Officer NRA
Rifle Instructor NRA

Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #90

Default gun cleaning

I clean after shooting. For my carry firearms I clean every so often, even if they haven't been fired for a while. I use an Otis kit with Slick 2000, or CLP.